RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Quick acceleration vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 11:18 PM
1nablxsonr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX300malib
Great picture Lexmex and yes, these are the bearings I'm concerned about. These do appear to be very rigid and strong in design compared to my old Fiat which had one in the middle and appeared to be almost floating in a rubber doughnut. These look very rigid so I'll have to get underneath and attempt to move the bearing/shaft. As for the comment earlier about the brake/wheel sensor, that should be pretty straight forward to clean as I removed one recently to replace the front left strut. FYI, that obnoxious knocking sound when hitting bumps disappeared as soon as I replaced that faulty top bearing plate.
sorry to butt in this thread, I'm trying to isolate a clunking/knocking noise coming from the LF. I checked suspension components, and they appear to be okay. Can somebody direct me to the top bearing plate?
Old 04-29-10, 07:59 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Its at the top of the shock tower near the brake master cylinder....you have to remove the shock strut assembly to replace it....They will cause the sound you are talking about but generally when you hit bumps in the road.
Old 04-29-10, 10:31 AM
1nablxsonr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Its at the top of the shock tower near the brake master cylinder....you have to remove the shock strut assembly to replace it....They will cause the sound you are talking about but generally when you hit bumps in the road.
Thank you very much Thomas1! I'll make sure to add that part to replace, when I replace the struts.
Old 06-14-10, 01:24 AM
ilanh
Driver School Candidate

thomas1:
How complected to change the Top Bearing Plate for RX300 AWD Rear Right wheel?
Does it require to compress the spring?
Old 06-14-10, 06:02 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes it does require a spring compressor....
Old 08-15-23, 04:07 AM
ssgroi
5th Gear

Default Vibration while accelerating, middle of the car

Originally Posted by ilanh
Not sure what was the conclusion with the Vibration while accelerating.
I do have the same problem, will hear & feel slight vibration when accelerating from zero. The vibration will spear at around 2,000 RPM and disappear in higher speed. It comes from the middle/bottom of the car.
I looked at the exhaust joints & supports, drive shaft supports - all looks firm and fine but the vibration still happen.
Hi all
Same problem here.
160k miles, vibration same as described by Ilanh. Getting slightly worse through the time.
Middle bottom of the car and much more appreciable when accelerating from stop with turned wheels or heavy load acceleration from low speed.
Vibration can be avoided with a very smooth acceleration from stop instead of putting load as used to...
Not a wheel issue (checked).
Any suggestions on who is the culprit?
I would like to figure out what the problem is before getting the car to the shop to do the job.
That's because they diagnosed an engine mount problem (which is there and in fact spare oem part was ordered to be replaced) but I don't think that has anything to do with the vibration described.
I think is something related to driveshaft but don't have enough skills to figure out by myself.
It would be great if anyone could point me to the possible culprit(s) so that I can talk to the guy of the shop and find a solution.
Warm regards from Italy
Salvo
Old 08-15-23, 06:56 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It is likely driveshaft mine isn't perfect i probably will fix it when fails if doesn't rip car apart i guess it depends how brief or bad it is.
Old 08-15-23, 09:02 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Drive shafts would develop a play when worn and generally produce a clicking sound. Most of the problems start when the boot develops a rip and grease escapes from the boot. Unless you see a trail of grease being flung around it is harder to locate at home. Even if you lift a wheel or two the boot collapses on the visible portion as you spin the shaft.

I would say let a mechanic check it out.

Lexus/Toyota dealers charge an hourly based fee to check the vehicle in USA. Some times they send out flyers for free analysis but that is typically done to generate business and some owners have reported un-needed repairs being pushed on them.

Independents usually do the check up for free in the hope of you agreeing for repairs. Upselling of services has been reported too.

Best is to find a reputable mechanic in your area. Getting information on the net is a great idea and here in Club Lexus we strive to be as helpful as we can. But we are group of enthusiasts. Since you have a medical background, you already know that information on the net can not be relied upon.

Salim
Old 08-16-23, 01:01 AM
ssgroi
5th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
Drive shafts would develop a play when worn and generally produce a clicking sound. Most of the problems start when the boot develops a rip and grease escapes from the boot. Unless you see a trail of grease being flung around it is harder to locate at home. Even if you lift a wheel or two the boot collapses on the visible portion as you spin the shaft.

I would say let a mechanic check it out.

Lexus/Toyota dealers charge an hourly based fee to check the vehicle in USA. Some times they send out flyers for free analysis but that is typically done to generate business and some owners have reported un-needed repairs being pushed on them.

Independents usually do the check up for free in the hope of you agreeing for repairs. Upselling of services has been reported too.

Best is to find a reputable mechanic in your area. Getting information on the net is a great idea and here in Club Lexus we strive to be as helpful as we can. But we are group of enthusiasts. Since you have a medical background, you already know that information on the net can not be relied upon.

Salim
Yeah I know the web my provide valuable help and trash as well, but that depends on the source, you need to rely to reliable sources, which is something I'm doing being here
Having said that of course you're right again when you say I need a good mechanic, which I have, but he's not Toyota/Lexus (he's Alfa Romeo service). He's a good friend and it was him to encourage me to investigate for tips online, that's why I'm asking here.
You guys in the US put lots of miles more than we do here in Italy hence gather much more info than we do here where lexus is not a best selling brand...
I just was wandering if I have to go for the whole driveshaft replacement or if there are bearings and or any other parts that can be replaced instead of going for the whole thing.
Thanks a lot for your help...

Last edited by ssgroi; 08-16-23 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-21-23, 10:57 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This link may help as found this relevant
Rear Driveshaft Center Support Bearing for Lexus RX300 RX330 RX350 MCU15 MCU31 | eBay
Not my product i am selling nothing.