RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Torque Wrench Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 04:18 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Torque Wrench Recommendation

Is it really true that over torquing your lug nuts on your wheel can really warp your brake rotors over time?

I did some searches and find that to be the common opinion on this board (and other car boards as well).

Can someone recommend me a nice and preferably long (for the leverage needed to unscrew the lug nuts that are on pretty tight - because of the lovely air wrench they use at the shop) torque wrench that you use.

I went to Sear.com and saw that people left some nasty reviews of Craftsman tools....

Thanks.
Old 04-21-08, 05:09 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

No one should use torque wrench to undo. [unless there is no other option].

Get a breaker bar.

Torque wrench has calibration issue and that is where the quality of the tool is. Harbor freight has the cheapest torque wrench.

Salim
Old 04-22-08, 07:16 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

The key is using one at least puts the same torque on all nuts and dont forget to use a crossing pattern to apply torque. The Harbor frieght ones are just fine. If it isnt calibrated within 5 lbs no big deal just putting them on evenly is important.
Old 04-22-08, 07:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I use the craftsman torque wrench 3/8". It's suitable up to 80ftlbs. I reach for my 1/2" (forgot the brand) torque wrench for the bigger stuff.

Use a breaker bar to untorque the lugs. NEVER use a torque wrench as you can damage it.
Old 04-22-08, 03:48 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm pretty dense when it comes to working with tools. Just exactly how do you set the torque (say, 76 ft/lbs) on these tools? They look like they just have a little clicking thing that makes it turn either clockwise or counter clockwise. These things have numbers on them??? Also, assuming these things have some positions on the torque setting like an electric drill, does it go "loose" or not tighten anymore if I reach a certain amount of tightness on the lug?

Again, I may be asking very rudimentary questions.... the last time I used a torque wrench (for a non-automotive repair), it didn't have any numerical settings. So I kept on tighten, click, tighten, click, tighten... then "bang" the bolt broke in half.
Old 04-22-08, 03:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There are indicators that tells you what torque setting you're at. Most torque wrench will "click" when you're at the right torque. It'll make sense when you use one
Old 04-22-08, 04:03 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a sears torque wrench. i have to get it recalibrated, because it was off by 2ft/lbs ever since i bought it :[. i heard the harbor freight stuff its really good.
pretty much how it works is that you set it to the torque you want. my lexus mechanic told me to set my torque wrench at 80ft/lbs. so once its set you start tightening the lug nut. when you reach the 80ft/lbs that you set the torque wrench will make a clicking noise. for sure use the cross pattern. they have electronic torque wrenches that make a beeping noise and etc. my lexus mechanic also warned me to not over tighten my lug nuts because it creates warpage.
Old 04-22-08, 04:16 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I'm pretty dense when it comes to working with tools. Just exactly how do you set the torque (say, 76 ft/lbs) on these tools? They look like they just have a little clicking thing that makes it turn either clockwise or counter clockwise. These things have numbers on them??? Also, assuming these things have some positions on the torque setting like an electric drill, does it go "loose" or not tighten anymore if I reach a certain amount of tightness on the lug?

Again, I may be asking very rudimentary questions.... the last time I used a torque wrench (for a non-automotive repair), it didn't have any numerical settings. So I kept on tighten, click, tighten, click, tighten... then "bang" the bolt broke in half.
I can sense the confusion

Ratchet Action:
Like a valve which lets you free move one way (with clicking sound as the pawl slides off the catches). Ex: You tighten 1/4 of turn and then move back 1/4 turn with ratchet action. Do it four times and you have turned the nut/bolt one turn. This is not a torque wrench .. no calibration ... expert mechanics can feel how tight the nut/bolt is. Note: The breaker bar we mentioned does not have the ratchet action so it is more stout. Typically they are referred to as "drives" 3/8 or 1/4 the size of the end cube. For automotive work you need 3/8"

Torque Settings on drill machines:
The drill stops turning once the torque is achieved .. thus preventing stripping. [I am old fashioned .. never own/use this stuff]. I have no idea if the torque is calibrated or just 3 is more than 2 etc.

Torque Wrenches:
electronic: The piezo device shows the torque.

Beam type: A pointer moves over a scale and you can read it.

Click-type: Here with a dial you set the torque ans when you reach the set amount the tool either flops or makes a click sound. [these can be ratcheting types ... where you free spin it in reverse direction ... making clicking sounds].

You need to pay attention in setting the torque .. One spin of the dial can change more than ONE least significant digit. Hard to explain but play aound and you will figure it out. Make sure you use the lb-ft or Nt-m correctly.

Last of all to use the torque wrench right you have apply the force from the right spot ... to develop the moment-arm.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-22-08 at 04:22 PM.