RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 skid control way too sensitive

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 07:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Mitchell is worth every penny,I had the mitchell cd for my Mercedes 300E,and saved me a lot of headache`s.I got mine on e-bay.
Old 05-14-08, 03:30 AM
tajdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I resolved my problem. Noticed a slight creaking noise when making turns at low speeds. This had NOT been evident before, and car handled beautifully. Had pulled solenoid switch for abs & vsc from fuse box on driver's side of engine room. The skid control icon no longer lit up and the engine didn't slow down and try to drive for me, but the alarm beep still sounded. Decided to take to dealership. Big leap of faith for me, but had to get wife off my back. Besides, something was wrong somewhere.

I was fortunate that the noise in steering, which would happen, then not happen, actually happened for service mgr. Turns out the pwr steering rack mount bolts were loose and causing enough movement to set off skid control. I'm still a little puzzled there was absolutely no effect on steering & handling, other than the low speed creaking noise, but now car drives like a chippendale sofa on a billiard table and no longer thinks it is "skidding out of control" when nothing is happening. The best part: Only cost half hour labor, 50 bucks, and they WASHED MY CAR!! Thanks to all you guys for responding and helping me out. I really appreciate it. Taj
Old 08-03-20, 07:50 AM
Captain22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also in other cases you should check the steering column bushing rubber

I had this problem about 2 years ago with my 2002 RX300. Trust me, its not the ABS. The beeping sound that warns you that the vehicle considers your driving actions at that point to be erratic with the flashing traction control light is the disguising factor and if I'm right it happens when you are accelerating and turning the steering rather quickly to the right or left. The system actually is doing its job right to tell you something is off balance as regards your steering movement compared to your actual steering angle which may result in a loss of proper directionality or control if you continue with that driving movement sequence. The beeping typically stops when you slow down a little and probably turn the steering back to straight forward direction.
In my case it was a different component which had a similar effect that was faulty. But the factors were the same i.e the steering column was unstable.
Luckily for me my local Mechanics knew exactly what the problem was amd they told me after inspection that my STEERING COLUMN was drifting on its axis instead of staying firmly in one position while I steer the vehicle sideways to the right or left. You wouldn't know this while driving but if the car is parked and you open the engine bay and have someone turn the steering left and right and you watch the outer end of the steering column where it meets the steering rack, you will notice a slight or major shift of the column at its base depending on the extent of the wear.
The culprit is actually the rubber bushing which cushions and holds the steering column in place where its mounted into the steering rack. If this rubber is worn or torn, the column shifts on its axis and makes the steering angle sensor feel you are understeering or oversteering erratic the vehicle.
In the RX300s its a small rubber about the thickness of one/ two fingers with a hole in the middle as usual. Change it and the beeping/flashing stops but its a pretty tight spot job if you do not want to completely disassemble the steering set up to get it done.

Last edited by Captain22; 08-03-20 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Realised my case was a different version of the same factor i.e steering column being unstable