RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 skid control way too sensitive

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 07:30 AM
tajdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 skid control way too sensitive

Help please. 2002 model rx 300, AWD, 90k miles. Had it less than 3 weeks. Wife's car. Didn't believe her at first, but the skid control icon and alarm beep came on (NOT the VSC light) after a very normal right hand turn when I was driving. Yesterday, she was on interstate between two trucks, going straight, and tried to accelerate normally, icon lit up, alarm sounded, engine power slowed down. Freaked her out. I forced it to happen for me on interstate last night with BARELY erratic driving and was happy to see if I really punched it, I could override and still accelerate. Dealership service dept (Flow Lexus in G-boro,NC) wasn't sure they'd ever heard of such a thing, but said to bring it in & they'd run diagnostics. Could hear the $ meter running. Have good toyota & lexus private mechanic I've known for 30 years, but this is unusual problem for him. He ran computer dianostic scan and it showed nothing.
ANY idea of where to look (tires are correct size and properly inflated) would be greatly appreciated. The damned thing is just too damned sensitive. Can't turn off Trac Control 'cause don't have it as car is AWD. I'd love to eliminate it altogether, as I don't care for my car to do the driving for me. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-23-08, 07:57 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

Expect $100 /hr.

There is more than size and inflation of tires ..

They need to be as close to identical as well as the quality/tread needs to be good-excellent. Softer rubber (opposite of long-life) will give you better grab.

If it is FWD, you may try to get the best tire pair in the front. [best in terms of traction]

Salim
Old 04-23-08, 08:08 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

could the ABS sensors on the wheels be dirty or contaminated.???
Old 04-23-08, 01:18 PM
tajdog
Driver School Candidate

Salim, Thanks for input. Tires are complete set Michelin with less than 20% tread wear. Car is AWD. Don't see how it can be tires.
Old 04-23-08, 01:26 PM
tajdog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
could the ABS sensors on the wheels be dirty or contaminated.???
thomas1, Car is going on lift Friday morning for closeup look-see. We plan on checking brakes and all conectors,etc. for any signs of damage, contamination, etc. Would be great to hear Jesse (mechanic) say: Oh,yeah, I think I see the problem. I'm still hopeful this will turn out to be a "Tab A into Slot B" solution, not a computer problem nightmare. Thanks for advice.
Old 04-23-08, 06:15 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

the tips of the abs sensors can collect metal shavings etc, and maybe give a false clock count. Be careful removing the rear ones to inspect the sensor. the fronts are a piece of cake.
Old 04-28-08, 08:04 AM
tajdog
Driver School Candidate

Well, the initial inspection didn't turn up anything obvious. Have friend I've bought tires from for many years, runs first-class shop. Going to check out all aspects of tires & alignment, even 'though car rides really nice. Start with cheapest, huh? Noticed on the newer RX the vsc has a cutoff switch. Is there an easy way to disconnect anti-skid on the '02s? Oh, noticed some slight shimmy and vibration in steering wheel when FIRMLY breaking at high speeds (75 to 80 mph), that is nonexistent when breaking hard at lower speeds (45 mph or less). Could that be significant? Anyone got a magic wand they could spare?
Old 04-28-08, 08:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldn`t mind disconnecting the vsc too,it`s probably just a fuse to pull.Although,sometimes this stuff is better off not to be messed with.

Last edited by lexus114; 04-28-08 at 08:18 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-28-08, 08:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

There is a way to disconnect the ABS (sorry I am on a different computer right now, so I do not have access to my photos), but if you look in front of the coolant reservoir on the left side of the engine bay, just in front of it, you will see part of the ABS system and there is a black connector on it that you can disconnect. I ride without the ABS now and much improved braking.
Old 04-28-08, 11:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
There is a way to disconnect the ABS (sorry I am on a different computer right now, so I do not have access to my photos), but if you look in front of the coolant reservoir on the left side of the engine bay, just in front of it, you will see part of the ABS system and there is a black connector on it that you can disconnect. I ride without the ABS now and much improved braking.
Hey lex,are their any warning lights on from disconnecting it?
Old 04-28-08, 02:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lexus114
Hey lex,are their any warning lights on from disconnecting it?
Only thing I ever got was the ABS light...waiting for it to burn out, but no other issues.
Old 04-28-08, 02:10 PM
tajdog
Driver School Candidate

Thanks lexmex. Going to have rotors done, new pads, & all sensors really cleaned & checked out Friday morning. Needs doing anyway & should fix vibration in steering wheel when braking at high speeds. Will disconect of ABS also do away with vsc and skid control? If it gets rid of vsc and skid control, I'm all for it. What about safety(remember, this is wife's car). Any insurance issues regarding coverage with abs disabled? Not that I'd ever need it, but would disconect of abs have effect on esc/snow mode?
Old 04-28-08, 02:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I am not sure if ABS disconnect will do that as I don't own that particular model, but you it is a definite improvement in the braking department. Only thing is that on sudden stops you really need to push the pedal down hard and in the rain you will have to pump the brake. However, my experience in these situations since ABS disconnect has been quite satisfactory.

A lot of insurance companies get discounts for this, I am not familiar with the legalities of this. Keep in mind, I would just try this out as a test to see if it does something beyond ABS.

ABS should have no effect on snow/pwr
Old 04-29-08, 01:10 AM
rfakinbile
Rookie

Vibration at high speed on your steering wheel is mostly caused by defectibe front brake discs. Replacement of the two can solve your problem on vibration. You may not be able to visualise the damage but this I have done on my cars including my RX. When replacing, also change the brake pads too except the one you have is new.
Old 04-30-08, 07:28 AM
tajdog
Driver School Candidate

OK, friends, I think I may be on to something. Found website: www.eautorepair.net Has complete mechanical repair proceedures and everything else, including complete electrical compent locations, complete wiring diagrams, exploded view illustrations,etc. Works like a subscription and you get it all on line(no waitiing for manual in mail). Priced from 9.99/week, 14.99/month, 29.99/year. Clicked on Repair Procedures at the site to see what was included and there it was, under Restraints: Traction Control Disable!!! Going to show print out to Jesse this morning, & see if he wants to enroll. If not, I'm probably going to spring for month's worth. Geez, at 15 bucks to solve anti-skid alarm problem, this seems like a dream come true. They have most all makes from '83 through '05 How about it, Lex & 114? Check out that site & see what you think & let me know. Thanks, Taj.

Quick Reply: RX300 skid control way too sensitive