RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sputtering Rattle Sound? Please Advise? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 04:19 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JM5879
nope no soda can sound. just really sluggish and shudders like if you were shifting into to high of gear..

i know when i had the soda can sound it was because my MAF was dirty. sprayed alittle electrical cleaner on it and problem was gone.
what octane you using? slap some fuel sytem treatment on full tank of fuel, when it gert low add some fuel injector cleanerthen refill, if using 89 octane switch to 1 full tank of 91octane then when empty almost you can go back 89octane but i do not go lower than 89 octane, knocking stopped something just needed maintence small nothing big. also use name brand fuel ....
Old 05-17-08, 03:53 PM
JM5879
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by archangels
what octane you using? slap some fuel sytem treatment on full tank of fuel, when it gert low add some fuel injector cleanerthen refill, if using 89 octane switch to 1 full tank of 91octane then when empty almost you can go back 89octane but i do not go lower than 89 octane, knocking stopped something just needed maintence small nothing big. also use name brand fuel ....
i've used nothing but 93 octane in the car since i bought it 3 years ago. and only use either mobil or shell.

like i said i dont have the knocking or soda can sound. it only seems to do the shudder when driving the car for a good amount of time.
Old 06-07-08, 02:51 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default rattle snake sound?

ok i comes rarely but i heard that same rattle at low rpms sounds like your shifting if it were stick shift let say for example 5 gear instad of second gear but has a sputter rattle snake type sound of the ratler? hard to explain, any suggestions another example maybe not getting enough fuel on acceleration? i don't know or possible intake needs to adapt to new settings? only happens sometimes very rare on low acceleration then disappears... how do you know if a precat is toasted or gone what it sound like? thanks oh also i was going up elevation very slightly....
Old 06-07-08, 09:06 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

another way to describe the sound is when you run out of fuel that sputter sound, happens in low acceleration... can't be tranny as tranny is running very strong and engine is also strong, sound oly happens once in awhile only when i barly give throttle accelerating slow then disappears when accelrate faster, any advice? i had af sensors changed out.. thanks
lexmex this sound always happens right after the sticky cleaning iacv and throttle and etc, when accelrate at low rpm and mph makes that sound then vanishes after you go pick up mph and etc. lex have you experienced this right after oing the complete sticky? thanks lex

Last edited by archangels; 06-08-08 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 12:16 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

its not engine knocks, as i mistaken it for the rattle , sounds like something from exhaust system ?
Old 06-11-08, 06:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Have no idea. Sometimes what I have to do is put the car in Drive and step on the emergency brake, because somethings don't sound when Park. And then I go looking around the vehicle looking for the mystery sound. Sitting in the cabin rarely helps.
Old 06-11-08, 10:52 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Have no idea. Sometimes what I have to do is put the car in Drive and step on the emergency brake, because somethings don't sound when Park. And then I go looking around the vehicle looking for the mystery sound. Sitting in the cabin rarely helps.
ok lex i will give it a try... or if possible i will see if i can get a sound clip buddy...
Old 06-12-08, 07:10 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

another way to describe it is is like when you start a diesel car that sputter sound happens sometimes at low accelration then vanishes when accelerating faster.. happens once and a while
Old 06-12-08, 07:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The only thing that this sounds like is a leak or perhaps some separation of one of the joints on the exhaust. I'd take a good look at the piping underneath the vehicle with the engine on and the vehicle in park. That noise can make an echo that can make the noise sound louder than normal when the vehicle is in park. How do I know?

Because I have had exhaust leaks up the wazoo, even now, that I need to fix next week underneath the vehicle with the hopes of fixing the still just slightly high idle rpm.
Old 06-13-08, 04:30 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The only thing that this sounds like is a leak or perhaps some separation of one of the joints on the exhaust. I'd take a good look at the piping underneath the vehicle with the engine on and the vehicle in park. That noise can make an echo that can make the noise sound louder than normal when the vehicle is in park. How do I know?

Because I have had exhaust leaks up the wazoo, even now, that I need to fix next week underneath the vehicle with the hopes of fixing the still just slightly high idle rpm.
thats lex i will try it, i put 91 octane today seems fine, i was using 89octane but paying 2 dollars more i said why not