RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Filtermag? Good Investment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 09:24 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filtermag? Good Investment?

i have this for my other car but what you think for the rx300 ? heres link:
http://filtermag.com/?app=Automobile...15&storedimg=1
you think these really are good to have keeps all debry and metal particles stuck on oil filter to prevent particles recycling back into engine...
Old 04-29-08, 09:46 PM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

Check for clearances [the area is tight for RX]

Next confirm that the magnets do not attract the filter shell. [only then the the magnetic field will penetrate the shell]

Note: the magnet will not hold metals like Copper, aluminum, certain alloys.

It can do no harm, even if does no good. Filter is the real thing in any case.

Salim
Old 04-29-08, 10:04 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Magnets only attract iron and some steel. Won't do jack to aluminum or soot particles in the oil.
Old 04-30-08, 07:28 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
Check for clearances [the area is tight for RX]

Next confirm that the magnets do not attract the filter shell. [only then the the magnetic field will penetrate the shell]

Note: the magnet will not hold metals like Copper, aluminum, certain alloys.

It can do no harm, even if does no good. Filter is the real thing in any case.

Salim
thanks i did not realize that, isn't most particles in engine aluminum?
Old 04-30-08, 07:43 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

You do have iron in their, but I suspect if they let loose, the filter guard isnt going to stop the damage. The crankshaft and most of the valve train is steel and iron.
Old 04-30-08, 07:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldnt waste my money or time on that thing.
Old 04-30-08, 08:40 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by archangels
thanks i did not realize that, isn't most particles in engine aluminum?
There are so many different metals (including alloys) which are used in engine ... and mostly for a reason. Some material have coating on top. The metals typically become sediments in the pan and mostly the things carried by the oil are non-metallic particles. That is where the filter becomes important ... which also grabs the floating metal particles.

It will be interesting to see photos from the dropped oil pan. Apparently we in RX forum are obsessed with transmission we never talk about the engine. So who has the need, energy and camera?

Salim

If you really want to, just buy high temperature tape and tape some magnets to the lowest point (gravity) on the filter.
Old 04-30-08, 12:44 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

There are so many different metals (including alloys) which are used in engine ... and mostly for a reason. Some material have coating on top. The metals typically become sediments in the pan and mostly the things carried by the oil are non-metallic particles. That is where the filter becomes important ... which also grabs the floating metal particles.

It will be interesting to see photos from the dropped oil pan. Apparently we in RX forum are obsessed with transmission we never talk about the engine. So who has the need, energy and camera?

Salim

If you really want to, just buy high temperature tape and tape some magnets to the lowest point (gravity) on the filter.
i might buy this but not sure as i would rather buy a good oil filter such as Kn or mobil1 does any 1 know the part number for mobil1 oil filter? everytime i go walmart i see mobil1 oil filters but there is no booklet guid this is my first luxury lexus i have ever owned and i want to make sure i take good care of it to the best i can i plan to own it as long as it can go, this is the kool part is it true some toyota models use same tranny and same engines? also can you upgrade in the future to there updated engines and trannys? if so i might just keep it until i grow grey hairs just because the rx is a fantastic product with many options, love the comfort level. smoothness feature, but later down the future i plan to buy the new style lexus what a big change they did with their productline pls very good reliability, i would wait till i could afford one of those in the future as this is my step up to luxury and like it... rx really does it good for a family car. thanks salim, by the way do you own your own business like lexmex? you know alot about these products and i am learning from this forum this forum is very helpful, do you know if the rear af sensor is hard to replace? thanks i am always finding new ideas to maitain the rx...
Old 04-30-08, 12:50 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Salim

i bought angel eyyes recently the tape comes off i went to target bought extra streagnth double sided tape that holds 5pounds the most, but during summer i am sure it might melt off.... where can i buy high tempurature tape that is heat resistant thanks salim
Old 04-30-08, 02:29 PM
salimshah

try electronic hobby stores.

These days for any thing that is not in common use, you have to buy over the net.

Again this may not gain you much.

Salim
Old 04-30-08, 07:16 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I just bought filtermags for 2 cars and a lawn tractor. If I cut the filters apart and see ferric particles attached where the magnet is, I'll figure it was worth the money. As Salimshah says, it can't hurt, anyway!
Old 05-01-08, 12:04 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trhs75
I just bought filtermags for 2 cars and a lawn tractor. If I cut the filters apart and see ferric particles attached where the magnet is, I'll figure it was worth the money. As Salimshah says, it can't hurt, anyway!
i might buy one not sure if there is enough space for the filter mag as salim says its ery snugged tight?
Old 05-01-08, 05:50 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Mobil 1 number for filter is M1-209
Old 05-01-08, 07:57 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thomas1
Mobil 1 number for filter is M1-209
thanks thomas appreciate it
Old 05-01-08, 09:20 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a less expensive alternative.

Do what I do.... use some old magnets from a computer hardrive and attach them to the sides of your existing filter.... when the filter is replaced, just transfer the magnets to the new filter.

For your reading pleasure:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d+drive+magnet

Quick Reply: Filtermag? Good Investment?