RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine flush? please advise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 11:21 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine flush? please advise?

i went to walmart today and saw a product by gunk company it was called engine flush... does anyone know if this is safe to use and wont harm seals or gaskets and etc? it says removes sludge i have sluge on my rx when i open oil cap want to get rid of left over sludge, has any one used engine flush on there rx and noticed anything good? i was tempted to buy, but i had my mechanic add duralube and don't want my duralube to be removed, however duralube recomends to add another duralube bottle every 4th oil change, what i could do is before my 4th oil change i could have engine flush service, then add duralube with mobil1 sythetic. i forgot who said they wouldn't add durlube? why? thanks
Old 05-05-08, 06:20 AM
99RX300'd
Driver School Candidate

How do you know you have sludge?
Old 05-05-08, 06:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

There is a better product called CeraTec from Liqui Moly, http://store.interautopartssd.com/ce...fc7a81a212ddce

Used it in Mexico, but down there it cost me $50 USD.

I wouldn't use that gunk stuff for the flush. Best stuff I found was again a Liqui Moly product, http://store.interautopartssd.com/en...fc7a81a212ddce

Amsoil also has a product and I am tempted to that try that next time, http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/aef.aspx
Old 05-05-08, 07:29 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Or just good ole Seafoam
Old 05-05-08, 08:53 AM
salimshah

Received 1,056 Likes on 953 Posts

Do not confuse the fume-deposition-crud to sludge.

Sludge will be tar like substance pooled up .. you need to remove valve cover to see.

Salim
Old 05-05-08, 08:55 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99RX300'd
How do you know you have sludge?
when you open oil cap you see it looks gooey.
Old 05-05-08, 08:57 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
Do not confuse the fume-deposition-crud to sludge.

Sludge will be tar like substance pooled up .. you need to remove valve cover to see.

Salim
i only saw it on top view when i opened oil cap i will take pics i could be wrong?
Old 05-05-08, 10:42 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
There is a better product called CeraTec from Liqui Moly, http://store.interautopartssd.com/ce...fc7a81a212ddce

Used it in Mexico, but down there it cost me $50 USD.

I wouldn't use that gunk stuff for the flush. Best stuff I found was again a Liqui Moly product, http://store.interautopartssd.com/en...fc7a81a212ddce

Amsoil also has a product and I am tempted to that try that next time, http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/aef.aspx
lexmex you have reat ideas and good products you recomemnd, how did liquimoly feel after you used that product, after reading amsoils website i could imagine all the goo in the engine and its surroundings, did you feel and see drastic improvements? sounds like good idea, also the liquimoly cera tec engine protector is that what you currently use , is this the product thats better then duralube? thanks ron how about that
Old 05-05-08, 03:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

You really need to as Salim mentioned to get under that valve cover. My uncle and I opened valve covers on other cars and sludge in some amount on vehicles over 10 years old was inevitably present, usually in the corners.

The Liqui Moly product as far as the flush was noticeable in what came out in the pan after I used it, a bit of small particle came out and what my uncle recognized as a bit of varnish. Every person I know who has used CeraTec was happy with this product. Much smoother and quieter engine after using this product.
Old 05-05-08, 05:40 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

You really need to as Salim mentioned to get under that valve cover. My uncle and I opened valve covers on other cars and sludge in some amount on vehicles over 10 years old was inevitably present, usually in the corners.

The Liqui Moly product as far as the flush was noticeable in what came out in the pan after I used it, a bit of small particle came out and what my uncle recognized as a bit of varnish. Every person I know who has used CeraTec was happy with this product. Much smoother and quieter engine after using this product.
thanks i will give it a try...
Old 05-06-08, 10:16 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

ok my bad it was not sludge when you open oil cap you see a metel looks like rust but its not just debry i touched my finger in it, best way to describe is metel in water for a long time looked like rust rough feeling but its not? also why is gunk a bad flush? is there any engine flush in local auto market thats good? thanks
Old 05-07-08, 07:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I will have to take a look at AutoZone today to see if I see a decent flush, but most of the stuff I saw when I went in there the other day was garbage. Gunk isn't bad, it's just that there is more effective stuff on the market (a.k.a. cleans more of the bad stuff). I do like Gunk's carb cleaner.
Old 05-07-08, 07:39 AM
salimshah

Received 1,056 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by archangels
ok my bad it was not sludge when you open oil cap you see a metel looks like rust but its not just debry i touched my finger in it, best way to describe is metel in water for a long time looked like rust rough feeling but its not? also why is gunk a bad flush? is there any engine flush in local auto market thats good? thanks
What you saw was after affects of moisture condensed on metal along with oil fumes drying off on the metal.

This is the reason I am not a fan of flushes ... they try to dislodge all this gunk (<-not the proper noun ) and then make it oil borne to be trapped in the filter. If these particles get dislodged they may end up clogging an oil channel or damage the seals (they can be abrasive). [bad analogy will be the cancer cells that get carried by blood stream].

If you do see an advantage in doing flush, then what is a good cleaner to use .. the one that dislodges the gunk in a swift action or the the one that works slowly over time. For me the regular oil change is the way to go. Your milage may vary.

Salim
Old 05-07-08, 07:55 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

I will have to take a look at AutoZone today to see if I see a decent flush, but most of the stuff I saw when I went in there the other day was garbage. Gunk isn't bad, it's just that there is more effective stuff on the market (a.k.a. cleans more of the bad stuff). I do like Gunk's carb cleaner.
yeah true i get what your saying, id rather buy a product that works best ... i just don't like to wait for a liquid, but if there is a special benifit like you showed me previous i will wait then.. i had a dream yesturday kinda strange i could imagine all the debry recycling in the cylinder walls and it looked like it made tiny kniks and scarapes, so know i want to buy some good engine flush... what other fluids are important... i like fluids myself also
Old 05-07-08, 07:56 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Good point Salim.

Quick Reply: Engine flush? please advise?