RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 Pulsating Brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 04:13 AM
rickp3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info -- my mechanic did change the right rear ABS sensor -- because of his read of the voltage -- BUt it did not fix the problem -- he said the part was $200 -- and did NOT charge me -- Monday - Lexus has a shot -- I assume they have a computere to diagnose the issue ...but I know -- bad to assume....
Old 05-09-08, 04:44 AM
rickp3
Driver School Candidate

If it is the ABS sensor ring -- and I don't have it fixed (because of the cost) -- besides keeping the pulsating brake pedal -- will I incur any further damage? (Strange, my 200K Maxima never had this problem)

Last edited by rickp3; 05-09-08 at 04:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-09-08, 06:12 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi rick,I would not play when it comes to brakes,they are the only thing you have,to stop our 4,000 lb RX.Just to try and narrow it down,did you pull the fuse for the abs,to see if that changed anything?
Old 05-09-08, 07:26 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duane
ABS wheel sensors send an AC sine wave voltage at a frequency (frequency based upon speed of the axle) to the ABS computer. ABS computer evaluates the frequency of each axle, and if one frequency is lower by a certain percentage than the other axles with the brakes on, the system actuates the ABS system. A few people have had this problem including me. I put a scope on each sensor, it appears the rear pass side sensor has a problem. I will replace and let you know the results

Duane
It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Based on posts in the past, it looks like if you have ABS activation with diagnostic trouble codes, it's the sensor that's bad. If you have ABS activation without diagnostic trouble codes it's the sensor ring that's bad. Which, unfortunately, is part of the axle.
Old 05-09-08, 07:40 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rickp3
If it is the ABS sensor ring -- and I don't have it fixed (because of the cost) -- besides keeping the pulsating brake pedal -- will I incur any further damage? (Strange, my 200K Maxima never had this problem)
I don't think you will incur any damage but this could be a serious safety issue. If your ABS is activating all the time your stopping distance is being compromised. If you wanted to save money the way to do this would be to pull the ABS relay. Now you essentially have a car without ABS. The ABS light will be on, so you need to pull the bulb if you don't want to see it. If you decide to pull the relay do a search on it first. If I remember right, there is a trick to getting it out (bolt from the back, or something like that).
If it were me, I wouldn't be happy paying close to a grand (just my guess), but I would pay and keep the safety of ABS.
Old 05-10-08, 04:29 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I have ABS actuation just before stop with no diagnostic codes. What I am seeing is 3 sensors outputting a millivolt sine wave AC signal (250 - 400 mV). The fourth sensor is outputting 3 volts. Cannot figure out what would cause a larger voltage signal. The air gap between the sensor and reluctor (toothed ring on the axle), the reluctor condition, the sensor condition, magnetic strength of the sensor etc all go together to produce a correct signal. I quess I would rather see the axle reluctor causing the problem, a new axle is cheaper than the sensor.

If you remove the 60 amp fusible link, it is bolted in from the bottom. If you try to pull it without removing the bolt, it will break, don't ask me how I know:

I wish I could just pull the suspect ABS sensor, but it is corroded into place. The other rear sensor I pulled last summer got destroyed in the process. I quess I could pull the axle and inspect.
Old 05-10-08, 11:01 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by duane
I have ABS actuation just before stop with no diagnostic codes. What I am seeing is 3 sensors outputting a millivolt sine wave AC signal (250 - 400 mV). The fourth sensor is outputting 3 volts. Cannot figure out what would cause a larger voltage signal. The air gap between the sensor and reluctor (toothed ring on the axle), the reluctor condition, the sensor condition, magnetic strength of the sensor etc all go together to produce a correct signal. I quess I would rather see the axle reluctor causing the problem, a new axle is cheaper than the sensor.

If you remove the 60 amp fusible link, it is bolted in from the bottom. If you try to pull it without removing the bolt, it will break, don't ask me how I know:

I wish I could just pull the suspect ABS sensor, but it is corroded into place. The other rear sensor I pulled last summer got destroyed in the process. I quess I could pull the axle and inspect.
Did you look in the service manual? If I remember correctly the manual has a pretty good section on troubleshooting ABS. There may be some info on determining if the sensor or ring is defective.
Old 05-11-08, 05:17 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

The service manual pretty much talks about checking what I mentioned above. Probably just pull the old sensor out, which will probably destroy it, and put in a new one and see what happens. Poke and hope for the best.
Old 05-16-08, 04:01 AM
rickp3
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE...FIXED...ABS issue...Pulsating brake pedal....the dealer identified the issue..."broken tone ring on left rear axle"...$900 for the part and $550 for labor...repaired in about 2 hours...but they charge the flat rate....at 90k miles on mya alledged high end auto -- I don't expect $1500 rerpairs for an obvious inferior design/part...too bad....
Old 05-16-08, 07:19 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 303 Likes on 264 Posts
Thumbs down

Well, they sure as hell didn't do you any favors! I'd complain bitterly about the $275/hour labor rate - I don't care what the flat rate book says. And how careful were they doing the work if they did it in half the time it's supposed to take?

Not cool!
Old 05-16-08, 08:21 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I am having a hard time figuring out what that part is, but the one I found on the Lexus park place site was only $547....if it is the right part...
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...20&catalogid=1

Last edited by thomas1; 05-16-08 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-17-08, 03:55 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

I assume the part is a new cv axle with tone ring.
Old 07-14-11, 02:10 PM
anthonyr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rickp3
UPDATE...FIXED...ABS issue...Pulsating brake pedal....the dealer identified the issue..."broken tone ring on left rear axle"...$900 for the part and $550 for labor...repaired in about 2 hours...but they charge the flat rate....at 90k miles on mya alledged high end auto -- I don't expect $1500 rerpairs for an obvious inferior design/part...too bad....
Just had the same issue with my 2000 rx 300 (100k miles). I found a local specialty shop that can replace the ring for $125. The Lexus dealer does not
Just sell the ring, you have to purchase the entire axle ($900).
I had to take apart all 4 axles and surely it was the last one that had a crack on the sensor ring. The abs light never turned on so did not have a way to know which axle was giving me the problem. All speed sensors were good.
Old 07-14-11, 02:44 PM
Shed
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the issue I'm having with my 02. Pulsating feeling when braking, no warning lights. Excellent! I wonder if it turns out to be this issue, if the warranty I purchased with the car a few weeks ago would cover it.
Old 07-14-11, 04:07 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Shed
Sounds like the issue I'm having with my 02. Pulsating feeling when braking, no warning lights. Excellent! I wonder if it turns out to be this issue, if the warranty I purchased with the car a few weeks ago would cover it.
It could be the rotors (if there warped)... have they been changed?

Quick Reply: RX 300 Pulsating Brake pedal