RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 02:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I have seen these devices (saw a bunch in Mexico) and the weapon-r one looks almost the same.

You need what I call an 'upstream' air source. Merely extending a long tube (with the air filter enclosed by a cold air shield) to the lower bumper won't cut it and will cause some idle issues...it's too long of a stretch.

Reasonably, from my experiments, you can extend a tube out to just behind the driver's side headlight (right of the battery) and be okay, but any further and that long tube will choke the engine.

Keep in mind the air filter itself is restrictive and my test ran just piping (no air filter) so less restriction and still I had problems.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....-cold-air-shield.gif  
Old 06-02-08, 04:11 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have seen these devices (saw a bunch in Mexico) and the weapon-r one looks almost the same.

You need what I call an 'upstream' air source. Merely extending a long tube (with the air filter enclosed by a cold air shield) to the lower bumper won't cut it and will cause some idle issues...it's too long of a stretch.

Reasonably, from my experiments, you can extend a tube out to just behind the driver's side headlight (right of the battery) and be okay, but any further and that long tube will choke the engine.

Keep in mind the air filter itself is restrictive and my test ran just piping (no air filter) so less restriction and still I had problems.
how about zombies set up is that better? thanks lex
Old 06-02-08, 06:07 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by archangels
how about zombies set up is that better? thanks lex
Zombie has the right idea there with the box. His is a bit different from yours given the angle of the piping. I once took a cooking pot (see my pictures on page 6 of my car domain page) and used that to block off the heat. At sea level, my own system has TOO MUCH air flying into it and just before I go out driving next time (perhaps tomorrow) I will make some minor alterations to my system to bring down the idle RPM.
Old 06-02-08, 09:27 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Zombie has the right idea there with the box. His is a bit different from yours given the angle of the piping. I once took a cooking pot (see my pictures on page 6 of my car domain page) and used that to block off the heat. At sea level, my own system has TOO MUCH air flying into it and just before I go out driving next time (perhaps tomorrow) I will make some minor alterations to my system to bring down the idle RPM.
ok i will think of something? so if i turned my intake at an angle it will be better instead of straight down... i was trying last time it turned pretty good but maf could almost touch hoon it was higher... i will see again thanks lex
Old 06-02-08, 09:34 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

ok bro after talking to lex he said your piping was towards fender, what piping you using is it the dragon piping or the sw? i tried to position close to fender was tough do to the wr ram air i bought from the company, and as i slanted the pipe the maff was far away from connector and air circulator was bending... any advise bro thanks if i wanted to buy a box like that how much you will charge to custom make me one thanks. i just bought a heat shield but i don't think it will do what i thought? thanks bro

Originally Posted by zombie
weaponR intake pipe, autozone spectre cone filter, homemade heat shield (made a top part, but not in pictures), homemade blow horn connected to driver-side bumper vent and flex pipe leading back to air filter. i still have the blow horn, but its just connected to the stock air intake y pipe.

Old 06-07-08, 12:05 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

lex i was reading a post from back in the days, there was a cold air box made for rx before? do you know if it was from wr? thanks i recieved the heat shield today and i did notice a big difference instead of not having one, noticed better ggas mileage, better response, it was just noticable everything it got going, everything got smoother too... thanks also does that thermo tape do good to repel heat from outer intake pipe? can get warm....
Old 06-07-08, 05:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

lex i was reading a post from back in the days, there was a cold air box made for rx before? do you know if it was from wr? thanks i recieved the heat shield today and i did notice a big difference instead of not having one, noticed better ggas mileage, better response, it was just noticable everything it got going, everything got smoother too... thanks also does that thermo tape do good to repel heat from outer intake pipe? can get warm....
Yes, it was Weapon-R. I actually ordered it about 3 years ago, but ended up waiting for it for so long that I eventually canceled the order.

The thing with the tape won't do much.

I took my existing intake system and did some modifications yesterday, involved some duct tape and removing one plastic piece, but got it to work and a much smoother sound than before (more like that which I got in Mexico, but now able to deal with the lower elevation). Have to get some nitrogen put in my tires this morning (bought CrossTerrains last week), so will give it a bit of a longer test to see.
Old 06-07-08, 09:07 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

do you know if wr sells them for rx still? i lloked at there website theres nothing that mentions rx300, also do you know if ram can be used with it thanks

Yes, it was Weapon-R. I actually ordered it about 3 years ago, but ended up waiting for it for so long that I eventually canceled the order.

The thing with the tape won't do much.

I took my existing intake system and did some modifications yesterday, involved some duct tape and removing one plastic piece, but got it to work and a much smoother sound than before (more like that which I got in Mexico, but now able to deal with the lower elevation). Have to get some nitrogen put in my tires this morning (bought CrossTerrains last week), so will give it a bit of a longer test to see.
Old 06-07-08, 05:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

do you know if wr sells them for rx still? i lloked at there website theres nothing that mentions rx300, also do you know if ram can be used with it thanks
I don't think they do. It had a small hole on the side where you could attach a ram system. The filter itself went in through a hole on the upper side. Not a bad idea, except that I had to sit around and wait a few months and no box, so I canceled.
Old 06-08-08, 11:37 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

I don't think they do. It had a small hole on the side where you could attach a ram system. The filter itself went in through a hole on the upper side. Not a bad idea, except that I had to sit around and wait a few months and no box, so I canceled.
lex i need your advise if i were to use the oem airbox with k&n dropin and remove bumper resonator add the ram tube to oem air box, is this a better set up then what currently have with shield and etc? also does the oem box tend to stay more cooler then meteal thanks
Old 06-08-08, 02:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Oem box would stay cooler than metal given it's plastic.

Better is subjective, are we talking about power?

Scrapping the OEM box and going to intake with ram air extension to bumper hole is better as the suction from the engine will be much stronger that way, plus air has ready access from filter (greater air supply).

OEM box is quite restrictive in its design.
Old 06-08-08, 02:53 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Oem box would stay cooler than metal given it's plastic.

Better is subjective, are we talking about power?

Scrapping the OEM box and going to intake with ram air extension to bumper hole is better as the suction from the engine will be much stronger that way, plus air has ready access from filter (greater air supply).

OEM box is quite restrictive in its design.
oh i was thinking using oem air box with bumper resonator delete in place of the tube to get better cooler air but i wished wr would make that cold box again i might call them?
Old 06-08-08, 02:56 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

oh i was thinking using oem air box with bumper resonator delete in place of the tube to get better cooler air but i wished wr would make that cold box again i might call them?
Well you can test it out with the OEM box first and see where you get with it. I did this myself, but found my other air intake contraptions work better. In fact, since I got back to sea level I throw so much air with that bumper hole scoop that I probably need a BOV, ain't kidding about this.
Old 06-08-08, 04:21 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default thermotec

Well you can test it out with the OEM box first and see where you get with it. I did this myself, but found my other air intake contraptions work better. In fact, since I got back to sea level I throw so much air with that bumper hole scoop that I probably need a BOV, ain't kidding about this.
lex you think this product would work?
i was thinking of looking for something that on the inner shield such as foam tape material in the inner shield to prevent filter sucking warm air do they sell that hard to explain ... foam tape basically that won't peel?
http://thermotec.com/product_detail.php?prd_id=21
Old 06-08-08, 10:45 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default sun auto hyper voltage gt

Hypervoltage you will feel when you step down on the pedal. Red Top 34/78 ran me about $150. Mine has been running 3.5 years. Yes, moving bolt far left will open it as wide open as possible. Cranking amps are your main consideration first followed by weight on the battery.

One other source of sound can be the vibration of the resonator.
lex i just bought the hyper voltage gt says it comes with a hyper ground, last time you said this would go good with hyper ground, did you mean hyper battey ground? or the hyper ground complete system? gasprice sored fast in a week and my battery is not that old so i decided to buy this hyper voltage gt says comes with hyper ground but not the hyper ground system. will i instantly see results or feel a difference? thanks buddy now i only have left to buy 4 new tires no alignment yet... was waiting on another member for their 18's but thread about to go soon so bought a hyper instead figure i will loose more acceleration and braking time that i did not want to lose because of so much invested into this... fun though and learning...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....