RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Emergency Brake Issiue HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-08, 03:30 PM
ofussalva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Emergency Brake Issiue HELP!!!!

HELP,HELP,HELP

went to replace my Rear pads on my 2000,Rx300,AWD cause my pads were worn out, and i had clicking noise. But only to find out that one of the spring attached to the E-Brake System was sticking out and badly bent!!! Also the rear brake shoe does not stay in place...Tried to fix it but unable too... Just wondering if they sell the hardware kit, and if anybody has the part number. Below is a diagram of the effected part highlighted in yellow.

Please someone help. I am unable to drive my rx due to the e-brake shoe is not sitting in place, and i may cause more damage!!!
Attached Thumbnails Emergency Brake Issiue HELP!!!!-rx300-e-brake-hardware1.jpg  

Last edited by ofussalva; 05-18-08 at 03:48 PM. Reason: forgot image
Old 05-18-08, 05:13 PM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

First make sure all the springs are in the right place.

If one is bent, just ask the parts department to get a replacement.

If you have never worked on drum brakes, you need to know that the whole setup is just held in place by springs and the drum around it. When you reassemble, every thing need to be just perfect.

Start by backing out the start nut so that the pads are not pushed out. Then reassemble. [Hint you can always take off the drum from the other side to view the assembly ... some items are flipped but if you are diy type you will know. I enjoy the half twist of the holding pin to keep the shoe in place.

Lastly when you have every thing assembled and the drum is in place. spin the drum and use a mallet around the drum to jarr things in place. Also ask help to apply the brakes gently as you spin the drum and keep using the mallet to center the things.

As a final step, you will need to adjust the star nut to bring the pads out and the drum should spin freely when the brakes are released.

Tip: Due to springs the shoes are held in the pivot points. Use a long handle screw driver to get leverage to spread the shoe to go over and then fit in the slot. The back plate and the pins (my favorites) keep the shoes from swinging out and collapsing off the pivot points.

Your ego may be bruised, but you can remove all the auxiliary brake stuff and drive out to a mechanic.

[I would never bend a spring back to reuse it ... buy new one]

Salim