RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

transmission maintenance ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 12:18 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Swaybars we never found, they would have had to be custom made if anything. My car domain page below shows all of the modifications I made over the years. The major ones were the exhaust and intake.
that nakimichi head unit system i heard those are nice, are they a big difference from lexus premium sound... whats difference
Old 05-22-08, 01:24 PM
kasak
Rookie

When switching transmission from park to D, it is kind of hard. Is this sign of a trouble or request for transmission fluid change?
Old 05-22-08, 02:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

That's generally normal. When you change out the fluid it might get a bit better, but not by much.
Old 05-26-08, 12:25 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default amsoil?

i went on amsoils website and was wondering wich at fluid to buy i saw like 10 different products for auto transmission fluid, thanks i like the sound of using synthetic fluids in tranny.... so i will start using amsoils product thanks lex...
Old 05-27-08, 05:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by archangels
i went on amsoils website and was wondering wich at fluid to buy i saw like 10 different products for auto transmission fluid, thanks i like the sound of using synthetic fluids in tranny.... so i will start using amsoils product thanks lex...
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx
Old 05-27-08, 12:34 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
thanks lex i will buy some of these...
Old 05-30-08, 10:20 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default transfer case and differential oil@ 15,000 miles?

i spoke with lexus and they said they recommend doing a transfer case and differential oil change @15,000 miles along with the atf change is this true, then i will be broker then broke, any expert advise please advise... doing a drain and fill atf oil was resonable enough but the other 2 can cost me a fortune i don't have... thanks
Old 05-31-08, 05:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by archangels
i spoke with lexus and they said they recommend doing a transfer case and differential oil change @15,000 miles along with the atf change is this true, then i will be broker then broke, any expert advise please advise... doing a drain and fill atf oil was resonable enough but the other 2 can cost me a fortune i don't have... thanks
Uh 15k miles. on differential/transfer case, they can go significantly longer than that, with many going well over 100K on gear oil. Every year I change mine out (partially as a test to see how the gear oil is holding up). Royal Purple did well and right now I am testing a Pennzoil synthetic gear oil. ATF at 15K miles, drain and fill, is a very good idea, but remember you can do this yourself, and even the transfer case/rear differential.
Old 05-31-08, 10:06 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Transfer case and differential will run you a whopping $20. A drain and fill of the tranny and front diff is easier than an oil change. Save yourself some money and DIY all 3. You could use the $ you save to spring for a floor jack and jack stands.

If you go with OE trans fluid and Mobil 1 for gear oil you have less than $50 in all 3.
Old 05-31-08, 11:03 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carguy07
Transfer case and differential will run you a whopping $20. A drain and fill of the tranny and front diff is easier than an oil change. Save yourself some money and DIY all 3. You could use the $ you save to spring for a floor jack and jack stands.

If you go with OE trans fluid and Mobil 1 for gear oil you have less than $50 in all 3.
ok kool but who excepts recycled oil? where do i take it too? thanks
Old 06-01-08, 04:19 AM
rx300s415
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well seeing we both live in California, I don't know if this helps you out but, I all my fluids/oils at the local Kragen's. Places like Pep-Boys, Kragen's, and Autozone usually accept oil for recycling where I live.
Old 06-01-08, 08:41 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rx300s415
Well seeing we both live in California, I don't know if this helps you out but, I all my fluids/oils at the local Kragen's. Places like Pep-Boys, Kragen's, and Autozone usually accept oil for recycling where I live.
kool hopefully i will call kragen if they accept thanks buddy... i thought some except oil i did not know tranny oil also
Old 06-01-08, 08:49 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

I just take it in and imply that it is motor oil. Everything that I have seen says they mix fine.
Old 06-08-08, 08:00 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

spoke to dealership they said they normally did a drain and fill on auto tranny, they only would change gasket only if it was neccessary, how much contamination gets removed vs pan drop? i am running low on money and trying to see percentage of contaminants removed from a pan drop vs. drain and fill version.... i have the gasket but i also can keep when needed but wanted advise on whats better to do, i believe the previous owner did not drop pan only drain and fill thanks
Old 06-09-08, 05:27 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

There is definitely some stuff stuck to the magnets in the pan. The filter is debatable if it is the original metal mesh kind. If it is paper I would say you want to change it regularly. The Lexus dealers around here will not drop the pan and do the filter or clean the magnets off, they just do a flush (which I don't care for). The dealer actually won't even admit that there is a filter in there.

I would just do a series of drain/fills DIY and save the gasket for another day. I think I am on my 5th or 6th now and my fluid looks perfect like it just came out of the bottle. I'm doing it now with every oil change which is only twice a year at about 4k miles. It's overkill but too easy to not do IMO.

Pic borrowed from HarrierAWD.

Quick Reply: transmission maintenance ?