RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

transmission maintenance ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-08, 07:07 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in this thread it says the 2 hex 1 of them is transfer case?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220061

Originally Posted by carguy07
Remove the tranny plug and front differential plug (transfer case is different). As long as you are using an allen wrench to remove the plugs you have the right ones.

The washers IMO can be reused several times if they have not been over torqued and distorted Part # is 90430-18008 they are maybe $1, so pick a few up and use your best judgment. I have 5 or 6 changes on mine and they seal fine.

Click Here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...php?p=2949097:

Use a floor jack where the blue area is.

Put the jack stands under the frame for safety.

Add a little over 4 quarts and drive for 10-15 minutes. Check and add as necessary. You know to check it with the engine on right? If you do need to add some do not try to check it again immediately afterward. The tranny fluid will drool down the dip stick tube and make it very difficult to get a decent reading. Let it settle for a while before checking again.
Old 06-12-08, 09:00 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

They take 36 ft-lbs. Be careful though, most cheap torque wrenches will not give a very accurate reading that low.

Don't get too hung up on "transfer case vs differential". It's more of a vocabulary word thing. I think some of the manuals even use them interchangeably/incorrectly.

Unless someone schools me, correct terminology is "transmission", transmission with a differential built as a unit is a "trans-axle", a "transfer case" is used for AWD applications to transfer torque to the rear wheels where you will find a "rear differential".

So on this car technically you have a "trans-axle" which houses the transmission and front differential. They both share the same ATF. You also have a "transfer case" that sends the power to to back wheels, it uses gear oil. The rear differential uses gear oil too. Confused?

For what you are doing as long as you use an allen wrench for both plugs you can not screw it up. They share the same fluid so you just refill through the dip stick tube. Pour very slowly or you will get air bubbles trapped and it will burp out.
Old 06-13-08, 04:25 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carguy07
They take 36 ft-lbs. Be careful though, most cheap torque wrenches will not give a very accurate reading that low.

Don't get too hung up on "transfer case vs differential". It's more of a vocabulary word thing. I think some of the manuals even use them interchangeably/incorrectly.

Unless someone schools me, correct terminology is "transmission", transmission with a differential built as a unit is a "trans-axle", a "transfer case" is used for AWD applications to transfer torque to the rear wheels where you will find a "rear differential".

So on this car technically you have a "trans-axle" which houses the transmission and front differential. They both share the same ATF. You also have a "transfer case" that sends the power to to back wheels, it uses gear oil. The rear differential uses gear oil too. Confused?

For what you are doing as long as you use an allen wrench for both plugs you can not screw it up. They share the same fluid so you just refill through the dip stick tube. Pour very slowly or you will get air bubbles trapped and it will burp out.
ok buddy thanks for advise... and yeah mines awd.. glad you told me to pour slowly does that go same as well on engine oil changes also? thanks
Old 06-20-08, 09:33 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default oil change drainand fill?

i got a good question when you do a tranny oil drain and fill lets say you want to switch over from lexus oil to amsoil tranny fluid. if you drain and fill will that be ok? or best to fully drop pan and do what tunned rx300 did as left over oem fluid will blend with amsoil? thanks has anyone did a drain and fill and switched to amsoil? thanks
Old 07-13-08, 02:37 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
For drain, the RX is high enough that you dont need any jacks to lift/support.

All you need is the hex key and dont forget to troque the bolts properly ... It might help if some one would post the speced torque.

Salim
salim i need your advise how many quarts average will it take to do a tranny drain and fill oil change i will not be dropping pan , only time is if gasket goes bad... thanks salim
Old 07-13-08, 03:43 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

I think I and other folks have posted the amount of transfluid needed if you drain from the transpan and the front diff. I will try to dig out the post.

By the way the volume needed was told to me by the Leuxs parts. I measured what came out and it was exactly what the parts guy told me.

Salim

found it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...Toyota+type+IV

4 bottles.

Last edited by salimshah; 07-13-08 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-13-08, 04:57 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by archangels
salim i need your advise how many quarts average will it take to do a tranny drain and fill oil change i will not be dropping pan , only time is if gasket goes bad... thanks salim
Salim's advice pertains to 99 FWD. Your 01 AWD will require another 1/2 bottle (actually more like .6 bottle more).
Old 07-13-08, 05:21 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

ok thanks i saw 4 cuts on dip stick2 for each cold and hot, i check fluid level on hot its above cut maybe 2mm? where should id be? is half way between 2 cuts right in the middle between cuts on hot level ok thanks owners manuel did not say i will check this in a minute after i do oil change hopefully i get an answer by then thanks in advance for your help...
Old 07-13-08, 06:02 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

It is hard to read the trans dip stick.

After ensuring you have min at cold, you need to drive around a bit [standing idle is not the right way]. Park on level ground. Firmly put your foot on brake. Rove through all gear positions (stop at each for 15 secs or so). Bring back to park. Keep engine running and check the dip stick.

If you have 99RX FWD and you drained from pan and front diff, trust me 4 bottles will get you the right level.

Salim
Old 07-13-08, 06:45 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

It is hard to read the trans dip stick.

After ensuring you have min at cold, you need to drive around a bit [standing idle is not the right way]. Park on level ground. Firmly put your foot on brake. Rove through all gear positions (stop at each for 15 secs or so). Bring back to park. Keep engine running and check the dip stick.

If you have 99RX FWD and you drained from pan and front diff, trust me 4 bottles will get you the right level.

Salim
i got an 01 awd, also i wanted to ask you does 10mm ame as 3/8 for allen wrench the kragen auto said its the same? with 10mm allen wrench is there a little bit play? thanks
Old 07-13-08, 09:06 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Google say
(3/8) in = 9.52500 millimeters

0.475 mm short, ought to work. Although as in investment, I would buy metric tools.

Salim
Old 07-13-08, 09:48 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Google say
(3/8) in = 9.52500 millimeters

0.475 mm short, ought to work. Although as in investment, I would buy metric tools.

Salim
thanks salim, i guess i will exchange with correct metric 10mm everything went spoothly and yes definately as an investment must buy right one... tranny runs alot noticeable very smooth shifting no jerking, oil was not too bad... thanks everyone for your help, also i agree tranny oil change more easier then oil change... also if you go above the second cut on hot level line just slightly will it be alright? i was really aazed after the tranny and engine oil change, rx runs smoother and much quiet and very noticeable difference... i can imagine how amsoil fluids can be....

Last edited by archangels; 07-14-08 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-14-08, 06:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by archangels
thanks salim, i guess i will exchange with correct metric 10mm everything went spoothly and yes definately as an investment must buy right one... tranny runs alot noticeable very smooth shifting no jerking, oil was not too bad... thanks everyone for your help, also i agree tranny oil change more easier then oil change... also if you go above the second cut on hot level line just slightly will it be alright? i was really aazed after the tranny and engine oil change, rx runs smoother and much quiet and very noticeable difference... i can imagine how amsoil fluids can be....
Generally you should be at the hot line, but I have ran mine higher up to the IV line and no issues, so where you are at should be safe.
Old 07-14-08, 02:28 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Generally you should be at the hot line, but I have ran mine higher up to the IV line and no issues, so where you are at should be safe.
thanks lex... its shifts smoother and gradually picks up better big difference and noticeable... thanks buddy