RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

transmission maintenance ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 10:44 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission maintenance ?

ok i was driving today i a thought came to mind i used mobil1 synthetic oil plus duralube, thinking i was ok, then i came across my mind and said that would prolong my engine as long as i serviced on time.... then i thought to myself what about the transmission if i do regular 15,000 mile service to tranny drain and fill , this is actually my first time gonna have it changed with toyota's tranny oil, bought a new gasket, crush washers, but is there anything out there that will preserve and prolong tranny life? or better fluids , additives? thanks
Old 05-19-08, 02:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I have my own opinions on the engine oil, but I have already made those widely known.

Best thing you can do for your tranny is to change over to Amsoil ATF, http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx

I am really liking this stuff a lot.
Old 05-19-08, 03:02 PM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

for drain and fill, you need only 2 crush washers .. one for pan drain bolt and one for front differential.

Salim
Old 05-19-08, 03:54 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have my own opinions on the engine oil, but I have already made those widely known.

Best thing you can do for your tranny is to change over to Amsoil ATF, http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx

I am really liking this stuff a lot.
i was thinking amsoil what difference on there atf vs toyota besides toyota being oem, is amsoil sythetic? how much are they...
Old 05-20-08, 06:02 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Amsoil is, if Im not mistaken all synthetic.The toyota fluid im not too sure. first I heard all synthetic,now I have learned it is a synthetic blend.Either way,your better off going to the Amsoil.It seems that it is a little difficult to get the full specs on the Toyota fluid.

Last edited by lexus114; 05-20-08 at 06:06 AM. Reason: added
Old 05-20-08, 06:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The Toyota ATF used to be about $4 to $4.50 a quart, not sure about that now, but when I picked up Amsoil at Carquest a few weeks ago it was about $9 USD a quart.

The Toyota stuff is not synthetic. It is actually an Exxon Mobil product (separate from the Mobil 1 ATF),

See http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_ATF_3309.asp

Amsoil is most definitely a synthetic.
Old 05-20-08, 06:24 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Lex,I forgot to mention that when I picked up my 0W-30 from Auto-Zone,I also got some Castrol foreign automatic trans fluid for my RX.It does state rite on the front of the bottle approved for Toyota,Honda etc.And on the back,listed approved for type iv fluid.If I recall,it was even a little cheaper than the Toyota fluid.I have it in for over a 1,000 miles now,and it works very well.I would switch to amsoil,but just cant justify spending 10.00 a Qt.Especially when these trannies. seem to give out no matter what you do with them.It`s piece of mind I guess.
Old 05-20-08, 06:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Almost $10 USD a quart is expensive. I felt my little RX needed it at after what it had been through in Mexico all those years and through my bad habits.
Old 05-20-08, 07:46 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Almost $10 USD a quart is expensive. I felt my little RX needed it at after what it had been through in Mexico all those years and through my bad habits.
originally i thought you lived in mexico? but later found out through your member name your in florida, were you on vacation in mexico? i heard its nice out there... and you were raised in florida right? i have an uncle in florida, sometimes i wonder how it feels to live out an another state as i grew up in california... i heard folks diffrent lifestyles in every other state, pretty kool if i could experience it.
Old 05-21-08, 06:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I worked in Mexico for 6 years, but Florida is my home state and I decided to come back.
Old 05-21-08, 11:06 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

I worked in Mexico for 6 years, but Florida is my home state and I decided to come back.
wow must have been a nice experiece there, so you drove from florida to mexico ? how long did that take knowing all the upgrades you invested in i bet you were zooming fast lol
Old 05-21-08, 12:35 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by archangels
wow must have been a nice experiece there, so you drove from florida to mexico ? how long did that take knowing all the upgrades you invested in i bet you were zooming fast lol
He was movin along brother!!...
Old 05-21-08, 02:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I moved originally from DC to Mexico. Either way from DC or Florida (say Tampa) to Mexico City takes 3 days if you sleep overnight. Vehicle wasn't really zooming fast until about 4 years ago when I started making more drastic modifications, before that they were pretty minor.
Old 05-21-08, 03:03 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

I moved originally from DC to Mexico. Either way from DC or Florida (say Tampa) to Mexico City takes 3 days if you sleep overnight. Vehicle wasn't really zooming fast until about 4 years ago when I started making more drastic modifications, before that they were pretty minor.
what major improvement upgrades you add? i can imagine how much fun you have with wide open throttle.... is there other things in the marketthey sell for these like swaybars or something... thanks
Old 05-22-08, 06:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Swaybars we never found, they would have had to be custom made if anything. My car domain page below shows all of the modifications I made over the years. The major ones were the exhaust and intake.

Quick Reply: transmission maintenance ?