RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

No AC cooling

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 03:16 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kasak
May be my earlier post was misleading..
They haven't done any work on it yet. I got the car back with no charge. Their online reviews (found via google) seem to be great.
To change the compressor, condensor, they first tried to fill the system with freon and they said it was leaking everywhere (not sure what everywhere means). At that point they determined that the evaporator is also bad and they have to take the dash out etc.. and its more labor and stuff.. They said the compressor is fried (or was it the condenser) and can't be repaired..
Labor- 900
Parts- 929 (Compressor dense ,Evaporator, Condenser, denso valve)
Total with tax - $1835

Can't believe why and how entire system has gone bad and has to be replaced? I will try another shop..

Sounds like you got moisture in the system which caused extensive corrosion. How long has your system been open? Did it work last year? Your situation is extremely unusual.
Old 04-20-11, 06:04 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by kasak
May be my earlier post was misleading..
They haven't done any work on it yet. I got the car back with no charge. Their online reviews (found via google) seem to be great.
To change the compressor, condensor, they first tried to fill the system with freon and they said it was leaking everywhere (not sure what everywhere means). At that point they determined that the evaporator is also bad and they have to take the dash out etc.. and its more labor and stuff.. They said the compressor is fried (or was it the condenser) and can't be repaired..
Labor- 900
Parts- 929 (Compressor dense ,Evaporator, Condenser, denso valve)
Total with tax - $1835

Can't believe why and how entire system has gone bad and has to be replaced? I will try another shop..
OK, well, at least you're not into it for $1000 and still not working! I'd take it to a couple more places for a second (third) opinion, one of which should be the dealer. While it's possible that you may need a new compressor and evaporator, it's unusual for basically everything to go out at once.

You need to locate the source of the leak first to make sure there is only one leak. If it is the evaporator, that's the most expensive because you do have to disassemble much of the dash to get at it. But if the condenser is leaking also ("leaking everywhere") and you have to spend $2500-$3000 to fix the entire system, you might want to consider if its worth it to you.
Old 04-20-11, 08:12 AM
kasak
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Sounds like you got moisture in the system which caused extensive corrosion. How long has your system been open? Did it work last year? Your situation is extremely unusual.
Salim, sktn77a, artbuc, thanks for the replies.

I am reading and going through some youtube videos and learnt that moisture is bad in the A/C system and one video showed to vaccum for 1 hr to get the moisture out after fixing a leak.
I got this vehicle in May 2008 in MN when it had 51K miles. Two years it was light usage (up to 70K I guess) - mostly long drives. Once we moved to GA, it is now at 91K miles.
In Dec'10 I got the timing belt replaced at an independent mechanic (experienced guy who does other lexus and Merc vehicle). Before taking it to him the A/C was not blowing cold air for 2 or 3 weeks. He did something and it fixed the problem. however, there was a roar (with some motor - may be compressor) when idling. But that was only sometimes. After few days that was gone and A/C continued to work fine.
Later it stopped recently a month back.

I can take it to the dealership as well, but for them to do the diagnosis, they charge $140 or $110. I first took to Midas and that guy said the compressor is gone and quoted around $900. Autocool also said the same thing and quoted $900s but they mentioned compressor and other stuff as well (may Midas guy didn't detail it all).
I will be getting our 2nd vehicle in May. It is getting hotter here. Driving with windows down is not always possible. But $2000 doesn't sound feasible as well. sux.
Will I be saving anything if I try to look for used parts (do they have to be from RX300? which is not a good idea as they will be really old). I understand labor is the killer.

Last edited by kasak; 04-20-11 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-20-11, 08:25 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

First off, you are going to all the wrong places. Stay the hell away from Midas...
Go to an independent shop, like a gas station which has a repair shop. If it's just the compressor, it'll be around $500-$600 (new compressor), you can get a compressor from the junkyard but no guarantee how long it'll last. (for junkyard parts look at- www.car-part.com)
Old 04-20-11, 08:44 AM
kasak
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyperwish, I hear you. I would never go to Midas or any of those chains. They sent a coupon for free A/C checkup. So, gave it a shot to see what they have to say.
Old 04-20-11, 11:20 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Please stick to shops who only deal with A/C and or Lexus/toyota.

It is worth a shot and give the autocool guys a call. Ask if they know the exact problem or they are just sensing how deep your pockets are ... worst case scenario.

It may be a matter of going in knowing the bill can be higher.

Salim