RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 11:40 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment?

everytime you buy new set of 4 tires is it best to get a 4 wheel alignment? how would you know if you need one? and what happens if you buy 4 new tires but don't align is that bad? thanks
Old 06-08-08, 11:50 AM
BBLexus
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

the advice I have always gotten is that you should get an alignment with the new tires - that way you can ensure even tread wear. If you are out of alignment, it isn't a good way to start out with your new investment. I have heard from others that some tire dealers will balk on tire warranty if you have had an alignment. Its worth it to spend the money and have the alignment done.
Old 06-08-08, 12:39 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BBLexus
the advice I have always gotten is that you should get an alignment with the new tires - that way you can ensure even tread wear. If you are out of alignment, it isn't a good way to start out with your new investment. I have heard from others that some tire dealers will balk on tire warranty if you have had an alignment. Its worth it to spend the money and have the alignment done.
thanks buddy i think that is a good advise... thanks
Old 06-08-08, 01:03 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Will tell you though it has a lot to do with how they are wearing. I just did my very first alignment on the 99RX and everything was on except toe...
it has 152k miles on it and it did well on all the tires I put on...
Also has something to do with how many curbs you hit...
Old 06-08-08, 02:48 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thomas1
Will tell you though it has a lot to do with how they are wearing. I just did my very first alignment on the 99RX and everything was on except toe...
it has 152k miles on it and it did well on all the tires I put on...
Also has something to do with how many curbs you hit...
so you mean to tell me you have 152k miles and this is your very first alignment? you are first owner of this vehicle? through the years did the tires bald evenly, and it never pulled left or right? thanks buddy thats amazing, eason i ask is i could afford tires right now but i will not have enough for alignment thats why i posted this question thanks for replying
Old 06-08-08, 03:03 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

archangels, I feel your pain.

A tire place near me charges $89 USD for a 4 wheel alignment on the same exact Hunter machine that back in Mexico would cost me about $25 USD if I were a first time customer without connections.

What I do is find a dead street, usually late at night and I run down the middle of the street very slowly with the steering wheel track dead center and see if the steering wheel starts to fight me in one direction or the other. I also make sure my tire pressures are all equal. In Mexico City that was hard to find, but usually the top of shopping mall parking lot worked just fine. In fact I did just this after buying two rear tires back in Mexico and then another two for the front just last week here in Florida. Found a parking lot at night and I ran it and no issues.

Now, this doesn't mean I don't have bad alignment. However, if I started to see funny times in the 1/4 mile like I did in Mexico or here in Florida strange mpg out of the norm (just starting and E10 complicates things) then I start to suspect alignment as a possibility.
Old 06-08-08, 06:52 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

You guys have it way too easy in those warm places! In the rustbelt we have pot holes that make an alignment necessary every year or two max.
Old 06-08-08, 07:08 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
archangels, I feel your pain.

A tire place near me charges $89 USD for a 4 wheel alignment on the same exact Hunter machine that back in Mexico would cost me about $25 USD if I were a first time customer without connections.

What I do is find a dead street, usually late at night and I run down the middle of the street very slowly with the steering wheel track dead center and see if the steering wheel starts to fight me in one direction or the other. I also make sure my tire pressures are all equal. In Mexico City that was hard to find, but usually the top of shopping mall parking lot worked just fine. In fact I did just this after buying two rear tires back in Mexico and then another two for the front just last week here in Florida. Found a parking lot at night and I ran it and no issues.

Now, this doesn't mean I don't have bad alignment. However, if I started to see funny times in the 1/4 mile like I did in Mexico or here in Florida strange mpg out of the norm (just starting and E10 complicates things) then I start to suspect alignment as a possibility.
yeah i will try to see if i need alighnment , wait do i test the alighnment with new tires or old current ones? thanks lex
Old 06-08-08, 07:34 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Never aligned?

Wow, here in northeast... you'd be lucky getting by one year without having to do something to alignment. I had the "luck" of having to get two alignments done one month apart from each other because I hit a pothole about the size of Rhode Island on the BQE back in '92. The roads have not improved much in 16 years here. Wish we had smooth mountains road in NYC...
Old 06-09-08, 08:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Wow, here in northeast... you'd be lucky getting by one year without having to do something to alignment. I had the "luck" of having to get two alignments done one month apart from each other because I hit a pothole about the size of Rhode Island on the BQE back in '92. The roads have not improved much in 16 years here. Wish we had smooth mountains road in NYC...
Wouldnt you love to know where your tax money goes? I live in Pennsylvania and our roads are horrible.Penn Dot only works when it snows,their dormant the rest of the year.
Old 06-09-08, 08:18 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes I am the original owner, and the tires wore evenly. The steering wheel finally ended up crooked, that Is why I had it aligned. I guess my wife is a great driver and avoids the curbs...seems any damage to her car has been from me (not good) Yes California doesnt have those potholes, I remember when I drove back east....
Old 06-09-08, 10:07 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thomas1
Yes I am the original owner, and the tires wore evenly. The steering wheel finally ended up crooked, that Is why I had it aligned. I guess my wife is a great driver and avoids the curbs...seems any damage to her car has been from me (not good) Yes California doesnt have those potholes, I remember when I drove back east....
thats kool... so basically you only need alignment if the car pulls left or right and if steering is crooked in straight position? thanks buddy
Old 06-09-08, 10:12 AM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

There are 3 factors that are based on alignment:

1. Driveability (out of whack to be noticed)
2. Tire_wear (needs to be caught in time, else your tires are ruined. How bad , directly affects the rate of wear)
3. Fuel economy .. roll (very hard to perceive)

The specified (by manufacturer) alignment numbers that the mechanic tries to get to cause a slight tire wear but they improve driveability. The rotation (back and front, 4 wheel exchange or 5 wheel exchange pattern) keeps the tire-wear some what even (or gets you the most miles from the tire).

I have not had abnormal wear and experience no-pull that I have to constantly fight, thus I have had no reason to have the alignment re-done/checked since I bought the RX. Now if I was to invest in top $$$ tires, I might get the alignment done.

Salim
Old 06-09-08, 10:44 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I don't have abnormal tire wear or any pulling, I stay away from an alignment. You run the risk of them taking your perfect alignment and knocking it out a little. Even the best front end guys are paid by volume and are in a hurry.
Old 06-09-08, 10:50 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikey00
If I don't have abnormal tire wear or any pulling, I stay away from an alignment. You run the risk of them taking your perfect alignment and knocking it out a little. Even the best front end guys are paid by volume and are in a hurry.
kool thanks for your reply i will test my alighnment to see if its good like lexmex said to test at mall because of straight roads. but yeah i kinda was thinking what you were about that perfect alignment from factory... thanks buddy

Quick Reply: alignment?