RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Are These Correct For Maintenence?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 09:07 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are These Correct For Maintenence?

i was wondering were these the correct florr jacks for our rx , i seen a small version and this, how many tons is correct one? th small version lifts 13inches i am not sure on bigger version but is this a cheap price for 6 piece?
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3397
or does anyone know where a special price for the right one is?thanks
Old 06-10-08, 11:06 PM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

The jack stands and the floor jack would not work on the seams (designated lift points).

Salim
Old 06-11-08, 04:14 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The designated lift points for a floor jack (per the Repair Manual, pages IN-8 and 9) are at the center (from left to right) in the front (front frame) and rear (rear suspension member/rear differential support(4WD)). Thus, the floor jack is intended to lift the entire front or rear end. The total weight of my RX300 is under 2 tons (actually my registration reads 3,605 lb.). So a 2 ton floor jack should be plenty. Even 1 1/2 tons is well within the weight of the front or rear in my opinion. The ad you referenced doesn't list capacity.

The safety stand support positions are the same as the pantograph jack positions (also per pages IN-8 and 9). I can't tell from the photo whether the notch in the safety stands will catch the seam or whether the "V" is too deep. I'd be concerned about that.

I think I purchased my jack stands at Sears. I needed 4 to easily paint my brake calipers. I got an aluminum floor jack for easier storage.
Old 06-11-08, 10:57 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob2200
The designated lift points for a floor jack (per the Repair Manual, pages IN-8 and 9) are at the center (from left to right) in the front (front frame) and rear (rear suspension member/rear differential support(4WD)). Thus, the floor jack is intended to lift the entire front or rear end. The total weight of my RX300 is under 2 tons (actually my registration reads 3,605 lb.). So a 2 ton floor jack should be plenty. Even 1 1/2 tons is well within the weight of the front or rear in my opinion. The ad you referenced doesn't list capacity.

The safety stand support positions are the same as the pantograph jack positions (also per pages IN-8 and 9). I can't tell from the photo whether the notch in the safety stands will catch the seam or whether the "V" is too deep. I'd be concerned about that.

I think I purchased my jack stands at Sears. I needed 4 to easily paint my brake calipers. I got an aluminum floor jack for easier storage.
ok can someone point me the right direction for correct jack and jack stands to buy or even pics of the correct one? also thats koolhow do you paint calipers what kind of paint and process? i looked at mine did not look nice i was thinking of painted calipers... thanks
Old 06-11-08, 01:38 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Go to harbor frieght tools and buy some jack stands there. They are cheap...
Old 06-11-08, 01:50 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by archangels
how do you paint calipers what kind of paint and process?
There have been numerous write-ups on this over the years. I used a brush and 2-part epoxy caliper paint I bought at tirerack.com, as I recall. I personally prefer a brush to spray and didn't remove the calipers. Some people remove the calipers and others don't. Some use a spray paint and others use a brush.
Old 06-12-08, 09:55 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thomas1
Go to harbor frieght tools and buy some jack stands there. They are cheap...
whats harbor friehgt i never heard of that? also they have a business in san mateo county? thanks buddy
Old 06-12-08, 10:31 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats harbor friehgt i never heard of that? also they have a business in san mateo county? thanks buddy
Google has all the answers
Old 06-12-08, 02:31 PM
m1tk4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you are there, pick up these as well:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

Other great deals there are:

- torque wrenches
- polishing/buffing bonnets
- all Pittsburgh sockets

Note: their in-store prices differ! Print out the online prices and bring with you to the store, they will price match it.

Harbor Freight is now one of my favorite stores. Thank god they are 20 miles away ))
Old 06-12-08, 04:43 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by m1tk4
While you are there, pick up these as well:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

Other great deals there are:

- torque wrenches
- polishing/buffing bonnets
- all Pittsburgh sockets

Note: their in-store prices differ! Print out the online prices and bring with you to the store, they will price match it.

Harbor Freight is now one of my favorite stores. Thank god they are 20 miles away ))
seems like good prices are some of them good quality brands? or offer garanty on there products? i was always told by mechanics there favorite was sears because they offer lifetime replacement on all there tools... harbor frieght i believe is 45minutes away from me...
heres there web :
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/start.do
good prices but alot don't show pricing why is that?