RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Speed Sensor Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 06:17 PM
JM5879
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey00
I guess you need to give it some time to see how things end up here. If your original problem is gone (shudder) but it still doesn't feel quite right, I bet one of the sensors is bad. I wolud replace them with 2 Aisin Seiki sensors. But that is an expensive gamble. They are about $90 each. I did some looking around today on different sites at various sensor images and still can't determine if the Toyota sensors have a centered rib or are offset like the Aisins
If anyone has pulled Toyota sensors from there RX and can verify if they have a centered rib or not please post.
I also found that Rock Auto who used to sell Beck Arnley Aisin and Toyota versions of the sensor now sell Airtex. The Airtex version has Toyota stamped on the sensor but definetly has the offset rib. Maybe someone replaced one of your Aisin Seiki sensors with an Airtex sensor. That would account for a sensor with Toyota stamped on it with and offset rib.
i plan on calling Rock Auto on monday. i know that they still have posted that they have two closeouts of the Aisin's. i noticed you mentioned in another thread that they've been there for awhile, so hopefully they're still available as they were only $29 each. i dont mind spending $60 even if that isnt the problem. but i hope it is. thats alot less then a new tranny...
Old 07-06-08, 07:11 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JM5879
i plan on calling Rock Auto on monday. i know that they still have posted that they have two closeouts of the Aisin's. i noticed you mentioned in another thread that they've been there for awhile, so hopefully they're still available as they were only $29 each. i dont mind spending $60 even if that isnt the problem. but i hope it is. thats alot less then a new tranny...
They still have the 2 remaining Aisin Seiki sensors for $29 listed on the website. They are referring to them as a wholesaler closeout with a 30 day warranty. Then they have Aisins from regular inventory at $71 and also Toyota's for $71. These are all listed under cruise control sensors. If you look under speed sensors you will find the one Airtex at $86. The Airtex site claims it replaces both Toyota and Aisin. Don't know how, when others including Lexus stock 2 different sensors. Unless they eliminated the rib. It sure looks like it is there on the image.
When you have them on the phone you may want to ask the difference between the Beck Arnley Aisin and Toyota. Maybe they would even check the rib 2 packages.
Old 10-26-11, 08:12 AM
blk99rx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up I can confirm the parts JM5879 found are the same

I have P0500 code and speedometer not working. I pulled both the speeds sensors and they are the same that are shown in the pictures from JM5879's car. The ridge on both sensors described in this thread are identicle to each other. The only difference is the lenght of the "pick up" on each of the sensors as you can see in the pictures. The overall sensor length is identicle though, so I believe these two parts are interchangeable.

I have owned the car since 50k miles and there is no reason the two sensors in my car were changed from the factory.