RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What exactly should I ask for during an oil change? + really stupid questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 02:56 PM
Mut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What exactly should I ask for during an oil change? + really stupid questions

I admit that I haven't been the best car owner and I'm trying to change that. I'm about to get my overdue oil change done (about 2+ months late) and I'm trying out a new place because the place I used to go to recently closed down. I'm going to give EconoLube a shot and see how it is. Has anyone had bad experiences with them?

So during a regular oil change, what I should I be asking for? EconoLube mentions that they do a "complete oil change", what's usually involved in a complete oil change? I've always been told to turn down any other crap they try to upsale you on but should I say yes to any of those?

Really, really, extremely stupid question: partially linked to the question above... I've had like 15 oil changes done and never actually understood what was going on. What exactly is being changed here? The Engine oil? Automatic Transmission Fluid? I've read Lexmex's site about what types of fluids and oils I need for my car, but like I said, I'm not sure what the mechanics are doing during a routine oil change. I really apologize for this dumb question and I'm sure a lot of you are just baffled.

I should add that my car is a 99 and at around 113k miles.

Last edited by Mut; 06-19-08 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 04:50 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Typically "oil change" should include drain or engine oil, removal of old filter ... replacement of filter, new crush washer and proper torquing of drain plug, followed by fill of new oil of proper weight.

The hazy (not spelled out details are).

1. Drain from below vs. siphon/suck from top. [drain is better].
2. Oil filter change .. which brand [what is best has been discussed many times].
3. Crush washer ... some times the shops re-use the old one.
4. Quality of oil and the right weight. [what is right and what is best has been discussed over and over again]

Although your question is simple, but it can get out of hand real quick. Do your homework to make the right selection or take your RX to dealer, pay extra but get a loaner.

Salim
Old 06-19-08, 05:20 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy What is included

Originally Posted by salimshah
1. Drain from below vs. siphon/suck from top. [drain is better].
2. Oil filter change .. which brand [what is best has been discussed many times].
3. Crush washer ... some times the shops re-use the old one.
4. Quality of oil and the right weight. [what is right and what is best has been discussed over and over again]
Agree with Salim, but most of the things described are if you do the change yourself, or if a dealer does it. If you're going to a "quick lube" place, I would caution that it's more:

1. remove drain plug and drain the oil from plug (bottom). They are "10 min" replacement places, so once the oil starts to slow down to a trickle, they close up the plug and the washer is reused. $20-25/change, you're not getting a new washer, although it's only $1 tops.

2. Plug is regular socket wrench tightened to the mechanic's "feel" of tightness. Usually it's too tight and over time pan will strip at some point.

3. Remove oil filter (have heard that since the Lexus filters are typically hard to get to, they skip this step but of course don't tell you) and replace with some generic cheapie filter. Will it work well for the 3000 miles until next change? Probably, but don't go over too much.

4. Refill with some generic cheap oil, hopefully correct grade, but might be a more generic 10w40 grade, which is not what our RX uses (5w30).

That's about what you're going to get and expect from these "quick lube" places. With above said, I have never gone to one of these places, I'm a DYI person.
Old 06-20-08, 12:24 AM
rx300s415
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine oil (some call it motor oil) is being changed along with your oil filter. The engine oil keeps all the components of an engine lubricated. The oil filter helps filter our dirt/debris/and other substances that are possibly harmful to be circulated through the engine. Usually these "quick-lube" places in my opinion uses lesser quality products with less quality service. You want to use a good quality oil filter and some good motor oil to compliment that oil filter.

I say find and get to know a good, reputable independent mechanic in your area and start having him do your oil changes. You can bring in your own stuff (which is sometimes cheaper) or you can tell him specifically what you want (i.e. fully synthetic motor oil, OEM Toyota oil filter) and he/she might have it somewhere in the shop. Also along the way you can have them do a number of other maintenance items for a cheaper price (and possibly better quality job) when compared to the dealership.

Everyone on this forum has their own opinion on what to put in there car and what not to put. Just read and use the search feature just to do some quick reads once in a while to get a feel for what's right for you through peoples' past experiences with various products.
I use Mobil1 Fully Synthetic 5W-30 motor oil with a K&N oil filter.
Old 06-20-08, 04:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Personally, I'd go out and get the oil and filter you want them to put in. I'd understand if you don't want to do this job yourself, but ensuring that some cheapie stuff is not used is key.
Old 06-20-08, 06:20 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mut
I admit that I haven't been the best car owner and I'm trying to change that. I'm about to get my overdue oil change done (about 2+ months late) and I'm trying out a new place because the place I used to go to recently closed down. I'm going to give EconoLube a shot and see how it is. Has anyone had bad experiences with them?

So during a regular oil change, what I should I be asking for? EconoLube mentions that they do a "complete oil change", what's usually involved in a complete oil change? I've always been told to turn down any other crap they try to upsale you on but should I say yes to any of those?

Really, really, extremely stupid question: partially linked to the question above... I've had like 15 oil changes done and never actually understood what was going on. What exactly is being changed here? The Engine oil? Automatic Transmission Fluid? I've read Lexmex's site about what types of fluids and oils I need for my car, but like I said, I'm not sure what the mechanics are doing during a routine oil change. I really apologize for this dumb question and I'm sure a lot of you are just baffled.

I should add that my car is a 99 and at around 113k miles.
Mut,dont take this the wrong way,but Econolube? You are not talking Hyundai here.(not that their is anything wrong with Hyundai) Seriously,think about developing a customer relationship with your local Lexus dealer.Or even your Toyota dealer,it is not that much money to have them service your lexus.And they know your car better as well.Later down the road,you might be glad you developed this relationship with these folks.Or at the very least a local reputable shop with a good reputation.
Old 06-20-08, 07:46 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Mut,dont take this the wrong way,but Econolube? You are not talking Hyundai here...
I was thinking the same thing.
I'll drive my truck anywhere but, if I have to go to Walmart or a pawn shop in my Lexus, I park across the street.
I also wear dark glasses and speak with a phoney accent.
Old 06-20-08, 07:52 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Raoul
I was thinking the same thing.
I'll drive my truck anywhere but, if I have to go to Walmart or a pawn shop in my Lexus, I park across the street.
I also wear dark glasses and speak with a phoney accent.
Ha,Ha,Ha.You got it
Old 06-20-08, 07:57 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

I some what disagree ....

When you go to Lexus or Toyota for the oil change, you will not be getting the master tech to do the job.

I do think that for oil change you need proper care [know the torques, replace the one time use items, proper tools] and most of all RIGHT items to replace [filter, washer, oil].

The above mentioned things make it a even playing field, wether you do a DIY, dealer, garage, quike-lube etc.

One more thing where the dealer is clearly a better option ... what happens when things go wrong. There are horror stories about quick-oil-change services but at times dealerships have made mistakes [to be fair even DIY's go wrong too]. The most responsive have been the dealership.

So for folks who are not a DIY type, I recommend going to the dealer, you get a loaner [$35 value], get your car washed [$7 value], entertainment [$2-4 value] and drive-in-out and pay may be +50extra.

If you DIY, [assuming you have the tools ... which may take 2 turns to break even] you have to deal with the hassle of running around purchasing the parts+oil, grease under your fingers, burnt hands if you are in a hurry, potential oil drops in your garage and finally taking the used oil for recycle. Net savings of $60 - the aggravation above. The good thing is you know if you messed up and the things got done as you wished.
[At this time, I do DIY as it is my unwind time]

Other places, even if you take parts, you always wonder did they really use it?

Salim

I agree with the building relationship as you can use the frequent oil changes etc to establish contact and build faith.

Last edited by salimshah; 06-20-08 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 08:25 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

When you go to Lexus or Toyota for the oil change, you will not be getting the master tech to do the job.

Actually,you get either who you ask for,or what ever tech is available.Could be class a,b,or c tech.Once you are satisfied with the tech`s performance,you may continue to ask for that person upon return.And the slow economy rite now will more than likely increase your chances of getting a seasoned technician.