RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission slip between 2nd -3rd

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 06:08 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey00
Both sensors are mounted on the top of the trans. One sensor sits at a 45 degree angle facing the battery. This one is visible. The other sits flat and is directly under the air box and hidden by it. You need to remove the air box to get at these. They are magnetic sensors and you will most likely find some metalic fuzz on the tip. I just cleaned it off with a q tip. They are both the same and I just swapped them from one hole to the other. My reasoning was that if one of them was bad, the trans would still exhibit some kind of problem but it should at least be different then before I swapped them. If this was the case I would then buy new sensors. But after cleaning and swapping the problem went away and never came back. The link I provided didn't really have good directions. I have better directions at this link:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...717&hl=mikey00
Okay,I thought that is what I said.Yes the 45 degree sensor is towards the front.Not at the front.

Last edited by lexus114; 06-25-08 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-27-08, 07:33 AM
m2cupcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having trans fears. Went ahead and did the filter and new fluid (Amsoil ATF) and it transformed the transmission. I'd definitely do that.
Old 06-27-08, 08:04 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by m2cupcar
I was having trans fears. Went ahead and did the filter and new fluid (Amsoil ATF) and it transformed the transmission. I'd definitely do that.
Works better now? I have not tried the Amsoil yet.Mostly because it cost`s so much.I put Lube Guard in instead,Like it so far.
Old 06-27-08, 12:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I put that Amsoil ATF in my friend's Z06 Corvette after I found it could be used. What a wonderful improvement on the shifts.
Old 06-28-08, 10:49 AM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

Heres the update
1. disconnected battery, no avail
2. cleaned speed sensors, still slipping
3. drain and fill transmission and transfer case.

Still slips between 2-3 only. other shifts are great.

Any thoughts? also picking my girlfriends brain she believed this transmission was slipping before when she lived in colorado springs. lexus could not figure it out, it stopped slipping after some time though. Assuming lexus may have this on record. I would like to contact lexus to discuss these issues. Has anyone had luck with getting lexus to assist with repair/replacement of a a 2000 RX 300 with 106k miles??

thanks for all the help
Old 06-28-08, 10:58 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjz3638
Heres the update
1. disconnected battery, no avail
2. cleaned speed sensors, still slipping
3. drain and fill transmission and transfer case.

Still slips between 2-3 only. other shifts are great.

Any thoughts? also picking my girlfriends brain she believed this transmission was slipping before when she lived in colorado springs. lexus could not figure it out, it stopped slipping after some time though. Assuming lexus may have this on record. I would like to contact lexus to discuss these issues. Has anyone had luck with getting lexus to assist with repair/replacement of a a 2000 RX 300 with 106k miles??

thanks for all the help
Swap the 2 sensors and see if problem changes. If so one must be bad, then order 2 new sensors. If the problem stays the same you can most likely rule out sensors. Next step would be to do another d&f but this time dropping the pan and either clean or change the filter.
Old 06-28-08, 02:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I also second on dropping the pan and seeing if any metal bits are on the magnets.
Old 06-30-08, 07:33 AM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

Ok so I will look into dropping the pan this week. Any idea on part numbers & cost for the sensors? I did make note of the "offset" connector guide rail on both sensors when I removed and cleaned.

Thanks for the continued info.
Old 06-30-08, 11:39 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so I will look into dropping the pan this week. Any idea on part numbers & cost for the sensors? I did make note of the "offset" connector guide rail on both sensors when I removed and cleaned.

Thanks for the continued info.
Which sensors do you have Aisin Seiki (offset raised rib) or Toyota (centered raised rib). Be careful to always check rib, Aisin Seiki are labeled Aisin on one side of the sensor and Toyota on the other side.
Old 06-30-08, 11:46 AM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

I meant offset raised rib sensors. I made note when cleaning they were definatly not centered, rather slightly offset... What sponsor / website do you recomend ordering through? approximate cost?
Old 06-30-08, 11:59 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I meant offset raised rib sensors. I made note when cleaning they were definatly not centered, rather slightly offset... What sponsor / website do you recomend ordering through? approximate cost?
The offset rib sensors are Aisin Seiki and should be labeled as such. Rock Auto has a closeout of the last 2 for $29 each (Beck Arnley). I would call before ordering. These last 2 were listed for about 6 months now. You will find them under cruise control sensors. Maybe that's why they been there so long, nobody looks under cruise control sensors. Rock Auto also picked up a new supplier (Airtex). They go for $86 each. Also newlexusparts.com has genuine Lexus ones for $90 each.
I wouldn't be to quick to shell out money for new ones. First swap positions of your 2 existing ones. If the problem remains the same, it most likely not a sensor.
Old 06-30-08, 05:17 PM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

Update. Took the car into the local trusted independent and he confirmed that the transmission will need to be re-built. Any ideas on where to get one from? were looking at an independent shop for the install here in phoenix. Any vendors on this web site that are recomended to furnish a quality transmission at a reasonable price? I would like to get a re-built tranny from lexus but the cost is prohibitive. we only plan on keeping the vehicle for another year or two... everything else is working fine.
Old 06-30-08, 05:51 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Update. Took the car into the local trusted independent and he confirmed that the transmission will need to be re-built. Any ideas on where to get one from? were looking at an independent shop for the install here in phoenix. Any vendors on this web site that are recomended to furnish a quality transmission at a reasonable price? I would like to get a re-built tranny from lexus but the cost is prohibitive. we only plan on keeping the vehicle for another year or two... everything else is working fine.
I would use a local transmission shop that will provide some kind of warranty. Also condider changing rear main seal while trans is out. Many develop an oil leak after a tranny swap.
I know I am repeating myself but if you haven't swapped the position of your 2 sensors, give it a try. It costs nothing but about 20 minutes of your time. It solved my problem and I am sure if my car went to trusted independent, trans shop or dealer they all would have told me I needed a new trans. It also worked for others, I didn't come up with this idea on my own.
Good Luck.
Old 06-30-08, 06:04 PM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

Point noted Mikey. I will perform the swap and report back upon completing the job.

Ben
Old 07-02-08, 06:06 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

My trans. has been slipping (at times,mostly when cold)from 1st to 2nd since I own it(July,2007)My fluid looks nice,and when I got it the fluid was a little dirty,but not burnt or anything.I have not tried swapping the sensors yet.I am a little apprehensive re.that

Quick Reply: Transmission slip between 2nd -3rd