RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help! Help! Oil drain plug question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 12:41 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket Tre
The only reason you feel this way is because you can pull over to the side of the road if any component fail.

I, on the other hand have less chance of having a component fail because I follow the book for ALL maintenance.

Yes, if you fail to torque any of your components on your vehicle, shame on you. You have them torque wrenches and still refuse to use them. That is your prerogative, however, they must look very nice and clean on their display cases.

Just think it over when you strip a nut or better yet snap a bolt and have to tap a new set of threads with your torque wrench sitting just paces away from you.

Torque wrenches is a must, yes, but what good do they do sitting inside the toolbox and not being used.

Salimshah could not say it better. Great post Salim
PT- I've been doing mechanical work for longer than I can remember (my wife says I'm older than dirt- nah, I can actually remember when it was invented when I was a little tike-LOL) and believe it or not, I have never broken a bolt yet and can not actually remember stripping a nut. Not on a car anyway. You seem to somehow assume that I don't use a torque wrench because I don't always use one. Hardly true! I think I've covered that already. If you had seen the things I've seen done (even in high line dealerships) you would choke. You would really think I was meticulous. I have always laughed when I see an add for a car that has "always been professionally maintained". They have no idea what means sometimes. No PT, my torque wrenches don't stay in the display case, I checked today and I have an assortment of over 600 cotter pins (I indeed use them) and I have 3 very good tire gauges which I use on a regular basis and my lifes history in successful repair work I believe indicates that I have at least some idea of what I'm doing. Have a great life PT.
Old 07-11-08, 06:13 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK guys, point's been made - let's move on.
Old 07-11-08, 01:16 PM
Pocket Tre
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
PT- I've been doing mechanical work for longer than I can remember (my wife says I'm older than dirt- nah, I can actually remember when it was invented when I was a little tike-LOL) and believe it or not, I have never broken a bolt yet and can not actually remember stripping a nut. Not on a car anyway. You seem to somehow assume that I don't use a torque wrench because I don't always use one. Hardly true! I think I've covered that already. If you had seen the things I've seen done (even in high line dealerships) you would choke. You would really think I was meticulous. I have always laughed when I see an add for a car that has "always been professionally maintained". They have no idea what means sometimes. No PT, my torque wrenches don't stay in the display case, I checked today and I have an assortment of over 600 cotter pins (I indeed use them) and I have 3 very good tire gauges which I use on a regular basis and my lifes history in successful repair work I believe indicates that I have at least some idea of what I'm doing. Have a great life PT.
OK Good.

Now I let you know a little secret..........

If you see any of the short cuts and horrific maintenance I have seen in aviation............. you would think twice or three times about EVER getting on an airliner ever again.

This is the reason I am such a pain in the azz about proper procedures. In the Quality Control shop where I work, I demand only the best from the people I consider the best available to me as the shop Officer.

I am glad to know that there are people out there like yourself that understand the importance of having the correct tool for the right job.

It is hard for me to deviate from my principles and way of conducting business to the point that it is very hard to have a normal day even when I am out of the worksite.

I know we understand each other very well. I think the poiunt we both make reaches the masses. It has been a great discussion though.
Old 07-11-08, 02:12 PM
salimshah

Received 1,074 Likes on 967 Posts

If only we had to put a postage stamp for each post, the discussion on $0.80 washer would have been long dead.

Salim
Old 07-11-08, 05:05 PM
rx300s415
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to get back to the topic...I ran over to Toyota today for a washer....I forgot the part number so I asked if they could just cross-reference but they couldn't....so I said "umm just give me a washer for the Highlander's drain plug gasket" and the guy gave three to me and said "just take 'em...no charge...should fit perfectly..."

And it did fit perfectly, the material just seemed really weird though. It felt like a cross between chalky and sand paper material but I'm assuming it gets the job done!

This finishes my AutoRX treatment!

By the way...does anybody know the torque rating for the oil filter?

Last edited by rx300s415; 07-11-08 at 05:29 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-11-08, 07:00 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Sorry guys....I did not mean to start such a long thread...

The material of the washer is weird...that is exactly what i said in my original e-mail...
It is black but almost seems like hard "cardboard"
Old 07-11-08, 10:13 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by rx300s415
J

By the way...does anybody know the torque rating for the oil filter?
I don't think any one can get a torque wrench on the filter.

You are supposed to spin it on to face and then 3/4 of turn max to form the seal. One should NOT use a tool ... it should be hand tightened. The O-ring is very fine. If you over tighten, the flexible seal would be gone.

Salim
Old 07-12-08, 05:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I don't think any one can get a torque wrench on the filter.

You are supposed to spin it on to face and then 3/4 of turn max to form the seal. One should NOT use a tool ... it should be hand tightened. The O-ring is very fine. If you over tighten, the flexible seal would be gone.

Salim
Unless they are referring to the K&N filter. Even there, I give it a bit of a tug, but I don't put any additional pressure as it can be a bear even with the wrench in getting it off if you tighten it to death.
Attached Thumbnails Help! Help! Oil drain plug question-img_0710.jpg  
Old 07-13-08, 01:25 AM
rx300s415
Driver

Well ever since I read LexMex's feedback on the K&N oil filters I started using them. I hand-tightened the oil filter to the point where I just couldn't (I can never get a good angle on the oil filter with just my hands), and I just gave a couple good tugs with my socket wrench, I think I may have overtightened it (which is why I asked if there was a really small torque rating on these). Shouldn't do too much damage right?
Old 07-13-08, 04:36 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well ever since I read LexMex's feedback on the K&N oil filters I started using them. I hand-tightened the oil filter to the point where I just couldn't (I can never get a good angle on the oil filter with just my hands), and I just gave a couple good tugs with my socket wrench, I think I may have overtightened it (which is why I asked if there was a really small torque rating on these). Shouldn't do too much damage right?
You can (as in it's easily possible, not that you want to) overtighten them. I did that the first time we put on a K&N about 6 years ago. No damage, but it was a PITA to get it off.

Since I moved up to the K&N HP-2009, which is a longer filter, I have been using something other than a socket wrench, in one case I used a pipe wrench and in another (last time before I left) a vise wrench, just to give it the tug. Then it is easier to get off by the same route. What I do is usually take some of the old oil and coat the rubber ring on the filter to help it get a solid fit.

This is a picture of how the HP-2009 sticks out and it is much tougher to get a 1 inch socket wrench with that filter so a vise or pipe wrench does wonders.
Attached Thumbnails Help! Help! Oil drain plug question-img_2897.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 07-13-08 at 09:47 AM. Reason: clarification of the word can
Old 07-13-08, 08:44 AM
salimshah

If you use the filter from Lexus/toyota

First symptom of over-torquing would be a leak. [the O ring is very thin]

If you go torque it even more .... the shell will collapse.

Neither of the two would cause extensive damage ... the worst is a messy engine and a new filter + some oil.

Salim
Old 07-13-08, 12:29 PM
rx300s415
Driver

Ah, thanks for the info Lex. So even though I have the socket wrench that fits snug and perfect, it will still be a huge PITA to get off? (I'm using the HP-1002 filter)

Thanks Salim, that's really good to know. Haha, kinda scary
Old 07-13-08, 02:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Ah, thanks for the info Lex. So even though I have the socket wrench that fits snug and perfect, it will still be a huge PITA to get off? (I'm using the HP-1002 filter)

Thanks Salim, that's really good to know. Haha, kinda scary
Socket wrench is only a PITA for the HP-2009.