RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help! Help! Oil drain plug question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08 | 08:43 AM
jcjr
Pole Position

Default Help! Help! Oil drain plug question

Hello,

I have had my 2001 RX for 2 years and do my own oil changes...

Changed the oil yesterday and thre appears to be a small amount of oil collecting at the drain plug????

I never noticed this before but yesterday the drain bolt had remnants of a rubber washer attached to it??? on it when i took it off????

It also has a metal washer........Is it suposed to have one or two washers??

The rubber remnant was small so i cleaned it off and put the bolt back on with the metal washer...

Help!!!!
Old 07-05-08 | 10:51 AM
Pocket Tre
Rookie

I know it needs a crushed metal washer and needs to be replaced EVERY oil change. It is about a buck. As for the rubber I am not sure but if you are loosing oil from it I would not drive it too far until you corrected this issue.

If you want to do a temp repair in the meantime, just use a little of the hight temp rtv. Is red in color.

Apply a small bead on the washer after it is already put on.

Drain the oil pan first as the RTV will not seal properly if there is oil coming out of the drain plug.

Once the rtv is alittle tacky (10Min) then refill the crank case with oil.

This a tem fix because I am not sure about any rubber washer needing to be placed in there.

My 99 does not have a rubber washer. It does have the crushed metal washer installed in it though.

Last edited by Pocket Tre; 07-05-08 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-05-08 | 12:03 PM
bob2200
Driver

I think this is a reflection of where you had your oil changed last. Probably not a Toyota or Lexus dealer.

You are supposed to replace the "crush washer" on the oil drain plug every time you change your oil and filter. This is usually a $.80-$1.00 part you purchase when you purchase a Toyota/Lexus oil filter. There is no rubber on the Toyota/Lexus crush washer.

I believe the reason for the crush washer is to prevent any leakage from the oil drain plug.
Old 07-05-08 | 12:11 PM
Pocket Tre
Rookie

Originally Posted by bob2200
I think this is a reflection of where you had your oil changed last. Probably not a Toyota or Lexus dealer.

You are supposed to replace the "crush washer" on the oil drain plug every time you change your oil and filter. This is usually a $.80-$1.00 part you purchase when you purchase a Toyota/Lexus oil filter. There is no rubber on the Toyota/Lexus crush washer.

I believe the reason for the crush washer is to prevent any leakage from the oil drain plug.
This is true on the 99

I wasnt sure on the 2001

He said he does his own so I am thinking maybe he just didnt notice this for a very long time.

I dont think he has been replacing the crushed washer either. Good luck to him.
Old 07-05-08 | 12:19 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Thanks for the info guys....

I went to Toyota and bought the "washer" that is used on the Highlander drain plug....

It is black but not rubber.....It is some type of synthetic material according to the parts person...

I took the metal washer off and replaced it with the new washer....it seems to have done the trick..

Do you guys replace this washer EVERY oil change....??? Does it break down that quickly????

Thanks again...
Old 07-05-08 | 02:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I haven't used a washer ever since I got my vehicle and started doing my own oil changes. Lexus hasn't touched it on an oil change since early 2002 when I bought mine. Have never had a leak there.
Old 07-05-08 | 03:57 PM
salimshah

recommendation is to replace it every time.

Would it leak after "n" times. can't say.

If you switch to nylon washer (non Lexus item) you may be able to reuse it a bit more.

Salim
Old 07-05-08 | 03:58 PM
Pocket Tre
Rookie

Originally Posted by jcjr
Thanks for the info guys....

I went to Toyota and bought the "washer" that is used on the Highlander drain plug....

It is black but not rubber.....It is some type of synthetic material according to the parts person...

I took the metal washer off and replaced it with the new washer....it seems to have done the trick..

Do you guys replace this washer EVERY oil change....??? Does it break down that quickly????

Thanks again...
If you want to do it by the service manual, yes you have to replace it at every oil change.

That is the crushed metal washer.

Do I re-use it? yes I do.

I work in aviation maintenance and there are some things you are always told never to reuse like O-rings, packings, gaskets, self locking nuts, etc...

I never re-use those in aviation components, however, I should not re-use them either on any other application for its intended use is to give you peace of mind and for 1 or 2 dollars extra; really that is all worth it.

I will start replacing it at every oil change from now on. I used to replace it at every 3rd oil change but also I replace my oil at every 3K miles and not at the 7.5K recommended oil change interval.

Yes, you should purchase 5 or so; keep them in stock and that way you won't cut corners when you do your oil changes.
Old 07-06-08 | 12:06 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Hello,

I have had my 2001 RX for 2 years and do my own oil changes...

Changed the oil yesterday and thre appears to be a small amount of oil collecting at the drain plug????

I never noticed this before but yesterday the drain bolt had remnants of a rubber washer attached to it??? on it when i took it off????

It also has a metal washer........Is it suposed to have one or two washers??

The rubber remnant was small so i cleaned it off and put the bolt back on with the metal washer...

Help!!!!
How can you argue with an aircraft mechanic? (Pocket Tre). I wouldn't, except to say that having spent my entire life in automotive work (only once in my life has anyone else pulled a drain plug on me and that was warrantee work). I don't drive a Lexus (I'm the mechanic for my DIL's RX) but my wife drives a Toyota that uses the fiber washer. I changed it the last oil change (3k mi. changes) and that was the 1st. time after 15 changes. It had a tiny crack in it and has never seeped any oil. I'm not much of a fan of the fiber washers- I prefer copper myself, but I feel Toyota/Lexus recommendation is for their protection (and profit) and is acute overkill as are some of their other maintenance recommendations. And I am meticulous about preventative maintenance rather than waiting till it's broken to fix it. It's your money- spend it any way you wish.
Old 07-06-08 | 04:30 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by code58
I'm not much of a fan of the fiber washers- I prefer copper myself,
I had a Mercedes-Benz for many years and they recommended changing the copper oil drain washer at every oil change. The copper washer really did get crushed in usage.

I agree that aircraft maintenance standards are a whole different thing and I have no problem with reusing locknuts, gaskets, etc. If you reuse the fiber oil drain washer for two or three oil changes, you're down to maybe 25 cents per oil change. That's pretty trivial.

I'd be curious what maintenance items (recommended by Lexus and not the dealers) you think are extreme overkill. Much of the forum seems to go for more maintenance (e.g., oil changes at less than 7,500 mi, periodic transmission drain and refills).
Old 07-06-08 | 04:54 AM
Pocket Tre
Rookie

Originally Posted by code58
How can you argue with an aircraft mechanic? (Pocket Tre). I wouldn't, except to say that having spent my entire life in automotive work (only once in my life has anyone else pulled a drain plug on me and that was warrantee work). I don't drive a Lexus (I'm the mechanic for my DIL's RX) but my wife drives a Toyota that uses the fiber washer. I changed it the last oil change (3k mi. changes) and that was the 1st. time after 15 changes. It had a tiny crack in it and has never seeped any oil. I'm not much of a fan of the fiber washers- I prefer copper myself, but I feel Toyota/Lexus recommendation is for their protection (and profit) and is acute overkill as are some of their other maintenance recommendations. And I am meticulous about preventative maintenance rather than waiting till it's broken to fix it. It's your money- spend it any way you wish.
I agree with you, however, when was the last time you or any other mechanic or DIY guy used a torque wrench to properly torque the oil drain plug?

Yes, that sounds very much on the extreme, but there is a need to properly secure and use the required materials on aviation, cars, trains, boats etc.

They also have limitations.

Usually you see the jiffy lube or diy or even the seasoned mech go with "good and tight" torquing methods.

Needless to say they limit the usable life of the component they are torquing.

Usually is exceeded in ways inimaginable. You are right; Lexus,Toyo and ALL other manufacturers have to make money somewhere and what better than recommending to change the washer.

But, let me put something else into perspective. Why is it that you change the oil every 7.5K miles on the RX300? Well simply because the manufacturer tell you that is what they recommend. Now, yes, oil is expendable material but so is the washer.

If you never take off the drain plug then the washer can stay put for the life of the component.

You are probably a good mechanic and believe me I understand and agree very much with some of what you said but I find myself dealing with many people that try to cut corners at aviation and auto work and mostly it would not cause catastrophic damage but there is always the "what if".......that I speculate.

What if its an important part? Everything is important.

I hope I sounded like the azz people call me in my job area.
That would mean i am doing my part.

Sorry, but I had to say all of that.
Old 07-06-08 | 06:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The thing with crush washers, and there is a one good reason for them that I know of, but I haven't had the luxury of experiencing the leak, is that if oil get sheared too much it can leak. I would all hope that we change our oil at good intervals and use quality oils, but it can happen.

But again, I haven't used them and haven't had an issue.
Old 07-06-08 | 06:29 AM
Pocket Tre
Rookie

Yep,

Some things are overkill, but when you are faced with a component that is removed and reinstalled that many times, you are bound to have deficiencies.

While I agree that most will not leak, it is wise that if you have a crushed metal washer or any leak protection component, to properly exchange it at the intervals intended for it's use.

I go even deeper on this as to say that if you are not willing to replace it, then, it would be better for you to completely remove it as the chances that a leak will develop this way are slim to none. But then, you have to torque to a higher value thus risking thread craking and failure.

Most, if not all components are designed to outlast their interval rate(service life) but that is to allow the consumer or operator to exchange the component prior to it's failure.

A failure to replace such component CAN cause it's malfunction. Please note I said CAN and not WILL. While you may be one of the lucky ones without a leak, there are one or two out there that will experience component failure for not following the recommended interval.

Now sometimes manufacturers recommendations are far from being assertive but most time is on components that they feel are stronger than they actually are. For example the lifetime transmission fluid.

I have beaten this enough with my opinion and in now way I want to persuade others to my ideas or beliefs. I just think is the right thing to do by your prcios tool. ( your LEXUS)

Piece
Juan
Old 07-06-08 | 09:28 AM
jcjr
Pole Position

Thanks to all for the great info.....What a great forum we have...

I assume that the "crushed metal washer" is the black fiber washer taht I bought from toyota..

To me it almost feels like "thick cardboard"....

Thanks again everyone...

I have been doing my oil changes every 5k with regular oil...

My 20006 Acura TL has gotten synthetic since 10K....

I am afarid of leaks if I switch to synthetic now.....I know we have discussed this before but I dont want to take a chance of a leak
Old 07-06-08 | 10:43 AM
Pocket Tre
Rookie

Thanks to all for the great info.....What a great forum we have...

I assume that the "crushed metal washer" is the black fiber washer taht I bought from toyota..

To me it almost feels like "thick cardboard"....

Thanks again everyone...

I have been doing my oil changes every 5k with regular oil...

My 20006 Acura TL has gotten synthetic since 10K....

I am afarid of leaks if I switch to synthetic now.....I know we have discussed this before but I dont want to take a chance of a leak
The toyo wasehr you got is more like a nylon washer. It could actually be of better quality but now you really have to care about the torque.

Overtightening these could create microscopic cracks and eventually fail.

It could take more than once so if you replace it EVERY oil change you should not have a problem.

I am glad you got the part and are willing to take the correct venue towards your vehicles maintenance program.

Take care
Juan

Quick Reply: Help! Help! Oil drain plug question