RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX 300 HELP!!! transmission Shop says.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 04:03 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

The transmission shop can not get the transmission as Lexus has to use it as core. Try to find why they want the transmission .. are they thinking that you are yanking their chain and there is nothing wrong with the transmission. You take their rep to Lexus to show the one they worked on being pulled out.

What about parts cost .. is that something you have to cover?
Does the transmission shop want to pull out the new parts and put in the old?
What about the towing/rental?

Negotiate and come to something that is mutually agreeable. Just consult a lawyer on the side.

Salim
Old 07-28-08, 05:08 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As salim already said, your old trans being returned to Lexus is already priced into the deal. MSRP of a rebuilt trans from Lexus is about $2500. There is a $1000 core charge for the old trans. So if you or the original shop want to keep it, add $1000 to the quote Lexus gave you. I heard over on CL that Lexus is using Aamco in the US to rebuilt the transmissions for them.
I am suprised the transmission shop didn't offer to pick up the RX and make good on the repair for you once they knew it wasn't the ECM. Maybe even pick up the towing and Lexus charge. The RX is a toyota transmission that these shops do all the time. Nothing really special about it. The only thing I can think of is you might have picked a real bum shop. If you search through the old posts here and at CL you will find that the transmissions that Lexus uses are not always perfect. At least one person is on his third rebuilt trans from Lexus.
Old 07-28-08, 06:24 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with your tranny project. Mine went out last fall a few thousand miles after I had Lexus do a drain and refill. It was running fine until I got the refill and it seemed to go down hill from that point until it failed completely. I got Lexus to give me a good will by paying for the part and I paid for the labor. Mine was a certified preowned that was 1 yr and just a few thousand miles outside of the cpo warranty. I feel like I came out OK considering the circumstances.

When I first bought my RX300 there weren't a lot of bad tranny threads like there are now. Based on the number of people experiencing failed tranny's I think Lexus had a pretty serious problem with quality. The funny thing is I've owned three Lexus'. A 92 SC400, 95 SC400 and the RX300. The tranny failed in two of them. Not good.

JP
Old 07-28-08, 06:56 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Luck!!
I only allow Toyota dealers to work on my car outside of Lexus...

I hope things work out for you.
Old 07-29-08, 12:05 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

[/QUOTE
Stay tuned......FYI 4 lexus dealers I called here in the valley for quotes said they don't touch the insides of these trannys as they are very complicated, rather they take the 13 hours to remove and install a remanufactured transmission.[/QUOTE]

13 hours? The guy must be blindfolded to take 13 hours to R&R a trans. I know these aren't a piece of cake but that is ridiculous. Wonder what warrantee pays- I'll bet about 5 or 6 hours- no more.
Old 07-29-08, 06:04 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
[/QUOTE
Stay tuned......FYI 4 lexus dealers I called here in the valley for quotes said they don't touch the insides of these trannys as they are very complicated, rather they take the 13 hours to remove and install a remanufactured transmission.

How about it,that tech must loose his shirt on a trans. swap.

Last edited by lexus114; 07-31-08 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 06:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Hardest part is getting the tranny out. Quite a bit needs to be removed. Took us a few hours to do this when I went to replace a fractured transmission pump last November. All parts you can get through Lexus.

When we put everything back together, bad issue we had is that we had my torque converter modified and we had installed the wrong one, so we had to take the bolts off and reinstalled again (that majorly freaked us out as we had no idea what was wrong). Now, we did have to check the tranny fluid level carefully and after running the vehicle for a bit, realized we were about 2 quarts low, filled it up and everything was back to normal. But first thing we did check were the grounds on top.

Anything else and there must be some damage or something that wasn't replaced right inside. There's no trick or ECM reset thing that we needed.
As long as you had no extra parts left over right?
Old 07-29-08, 07:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
As long as you had no extra parts left over right?
We actually had to replace a few bolts here and there, but we managed to put everything back together. For those who are new that was this thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=320390

The guy who worked on my tranny needed only about 3 hours once he had the parts to take apart, inspect, and replace the necessary before sealing it up and delivering it back to us. He probably could have gone a bit quicker, but I never bust my uncle's or friends hump on things like that. Reinstallation of the tranny should take no more than about 5 hours, and in our case we had to take the full 5 hours because of my modified exhaust. I know some good friends at Toyota Mexico who can do the job in under 4 depending on the type of vehicle.

Lexus themselves (where I had to order a few of the parts) actually lists in their schematics at the dealer the interior parts of the transmission, but granted as mentioned they don't fix it themselves and it really does take someone who knows what they are doing to fix this.
Old 07-30-08, 08:06 PM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Lexus replaced transmission. My girlfriend picked it up and the service advisor was not there. The tech came up from the back and told her that the tranny would have to "relearn" shift pattern cause when its replaced the transmission does not communicate correctly with the ECM. STRANGE. The RX shifts so hard, slams into gear revs up to 4,000-6,000 rpms before it finally switches gear. The RX could not even accelerate on the on ramp for the interstate. My girlfriend almost caused a wreck. I am disgusted that a dealer would put the car back on the road saying that the transmission had to "relearn its operation. They said 2-3 tanks of fuel and should be corrected.

IS THIS NORMAL?????? I have never heard of such a thing.
Old 07-30-08, 09:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by bjz3638
Ok Lexus replaced transmission. My girlfriend picked it up and the service advisor was not there. The tech came up from the back and told her that the tranny would have to "relearn" shift pattern cause when its replaced the transmission does not communicate correctly with the ECM. STRANGE. The RX shifts so hard, slams into gear revs up to 4,000-6,000 rpms before it finally switches gear. The RX could not even accelerate on the on ramp for the interstate. My girlfriend almost caused a wreck. I am disgusted that a dealer would put the car back on the road saying that the transmission had to "relearn its operation. They said 2-3 tanks of fuel and should be corrected.

IS THIS NORMAL?????? I have never heard of such a thing.
That happened to me when we reconnected everything when I did my tranny project back in December. However, in that case fluid level was still a bit low and filling it up just above the mark fixed the problem. True, it does need some time to relearn the shift pattern. I know exactly what your girlfriend is experiencing. What Lexus should have done is to have someone drive it around until it learns to pattern. Personally, if I were in Lexus' shoes, I would never let the customer drive something like that and leave it to the customer to deal with.
Old 07-31-08, 06:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That happened to me when we reconnected everything when I did my tranny project back in December. However, in that case fluid level was still a bit low and filling it up just above the mark fixed the problem. True, it does need some time to relearn the shift pattern. I know exactly what your girlfriend is experiencing. What Lexus should have done is to have someone drive it around until it learns to pattern. Personally, if I were in Lexus' shoes, I would never let the customer drive something like that and leave it to the customer to deal with.
Today`s customer service is a real train wreck!! And it seem`s people have to do more of their own work,and still pay premium prices for work that should have been done right in the first place.
Old 07-31-08, 10:46 AM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

Took it in this morning Lexus dealer said that a shift solonid blew up and they are taking the tranny back out and putting another lexus re-man back in. would the check engine light have been on if the soloind blew up? This is a complete nightmare! I will never buy a lexus again. I am contacting corporate to file a formal complaint. How long should the tranny take to "relearn"
Old 07-31-08, 11:01 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bjz3638
Took it in this morning Lexus dealer said that a shift solonid blew up and they are taking the tranny back out and putting another lexus re-man back in. would the check engine light have been on if the soloind blew up? This is a complete nightmare! I will never buy a lexus again. I am contacting corporate to file a formal complaint. How long should the tranny take to "relearn"
People disconnect the negative battery cable all the time to force the ECU to re-learn the trans without having the problems you are experiencing. You can feel a difference but it is very subtle. So subtle that it is difficult to say exactly when the ECU re-learns the trans. How much did Lexus charge for the complete job? I am currently shopping for a place to do my trans. Lexus in NJ told me 5 to 6K
Old 07-31-08, 03:12 PM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

$4500 is what they are charging
Old 08-03-08, 08:01 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

I just had our 2001 RX FWD tranny rebuilt. $2400.00

Quick Reply: 2000 RX 300 HELP!!! transmission Shop says.....