RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX 300 HELP!!! transmission Shop says.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 05:21 PM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 RX 300 HELP!!! transmission Shop says.....

After previous posts regarding our 2000 RX 300 Transmission issues I have the following to report back.

Finally took the transmission to an independent here in Mesa Arizona. After scanning and looking things over they determined a re-build was in order. We took the car in on July 15, 2008 anticipating having it back by Friday July 18. Its now July 23 and we have not recieved our vehicle back. This is what the shop is saying

They have re-built the transmission, replaced electronics and have test drove it. The transmission is doing the same thing prior to taking it into the shop. which is slipping from second to third gear. They keep saying that the computer is not reconizing the new transmission and their might be a electronic issue. Has anyone had this problem with a re-built transmission? makes me think something is fishy about this. I am considering going to pick my vehicle up and taking it to lexus for them to evaluate.

Suggestions?
Old 07-23-08, 05:57 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bjz3638
Suggestions?
It sounds like enough $$ are involved that you should consider consulting a lawyer.
Old 07-23-08, 06:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Have them make sure all the grounds on top of the transmission are reconnected and also check the transmission fluid level.
Old 07-24-08, 07:31 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you already tried cleaning/swapping the sensors but this sure looks like a sensor issue especially after trans was rebuilt and problem still exists. Were new sensors part of the rebuild?
Old 07-24-08, 08:00 AM
salimshah

Received 1,044 Likes on 942 Posts

Rebuild typically calls for dis-assembly, cleaning, replacing broken/worn parts. Did they ever find broken/worn part/s which may explain the slippage.

Salim
Old 07-24-08, 08:05 AM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

Yea All new electronics I was told. OEM parts. I will follow up with the ground issue. where are the grounds located?
Old 07-24-08, 02:19 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea All new electronics I was told. OEM parts. I will follow up with the ground issue. where are the grounds located?
Could that have been the only problem from the beginning (electronic). Was there actually damage from the electronic problem to begin with or was it just slipping that had not done any damage? With the complexity of todays cars,even with all the diagnostic equip. and scanners, the mechanic still has his hands full. Sometimes it's a thankless job- but there are also tons of unnecessary work done by mechanics who are not as good as they think they are. How often have you had a mechanic diagnose and repair a problem only to find it didn't correct the problem? How often have you seen them honest enough to say "I was wrong" and give you the part at cost and not charge you for labor so they didn't lose cash out of their own pocket. Not often, I'll bet. Most often it's- "we fixed that and now you have another problem". You have a problem alright, a mechanic that's most likely not honest with you. This isn't "beat up on mechanics day"- they have a tough job. I spent my life in automotive work- I should know. There are just a lot of them in automotive work that guess wrong and you end up paying for it. And most of the time without an apology. My hat's of to those that give you that, rather than a lie when they guess wrong.
Old 07-24-08, 02:28 PM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

Car is being towed to Superstitions Lexus as I type this. Transmission shop is saying its the ECM, or rather the ECM is not able to understand or read the transmission shift points? Lexus is going to verify.

Anyone had this problem when rebuilding transmission?
Old 07-24-08, 03:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

On top of the transmisison, don't have the exact pictures to show this, but they are screwed in on the top. I might be able to take pictures tonight or tomorrow.
Old 07-24-08, 03:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Car is being towed to Superstitions Lexus as I type this. Transmission shop is saying its the ECM, or rather the ECM is not able to understand or read the transmission shift points? Lexus is going to verify.

Anyone had this problem when rebuilding transmission?
Hardest part is getting the tranny out. Quite a bit needs to be removed. Took us a few hours to do this when I went to replace a fractured transmission pump last November. All parts you can get through Lexus.

When we put everything back together, bad issue we had is that we had my torque converter modified and we had installed the wrong one, so we had to take the bolts off and reinstalled again (that majorly freaked us out as we had no idea what was wrong). Now, we did have to check the tranny fluid level carefully and after running the vehicle for a bit, realized we were about 2 quarts low, filled it up and everything was back to normal. But first thing we did check were the grounds on top.

Anything else and there must be some damage or something that wasn't replaced right inside. There's no trick or ECM reset thing that we needed.
Old 07-25-08, 05:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lexmex
On top of the transmisison, don't have the exact pictures to show this, but they are screwed in on the top. I might be able to take pictures tonight or tomorrow.
Look for these, thing in the blue square.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 RX 300 HELP!!! transmission Shop says.....-ground4.jpg  
Old 07-25-08, 02:10 PM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

Superstition springs lexus just called me. The report reads like this:

Throttle position sensor left unplugged. plugged in sensor and electronic portion functioning correctly. Mechanical issues appear to be the cause for harsh 3rd shift and delayed R Engagement. Also noted is slightly hars D engagement.

Any Ideas on who to contact in phoenix arizona to get a decent rebuild transmission? this is not rocket science, I am contacting my credit card company to withdraw the transaction for my re-built transmission that is now worse than previous. at least we could drive the car before with a small slip. now its completly un-drivable.
Old 07-25-08, 03:24 PM
salimshah

Received 1,044 Likes on 942 Posts

Superstition springs lexus just called me. The report reads like this:

Throttle position sensor left unplugged. plugged in sensor and electronic portion functioning correctly. Mechanical issues appear to be the cause for harsh 3rd shift and delayed R Engagement. Also noted is slightly hars D engagement.

Any Ideas on who to contact in phoenix arizona to get a decent rebuild transmission? this is not rocket science, I am contacting my credit card company to withdraw the transaction for my re-built transmission that is now worse than previous. at least we could drive the car before with a small slip. now its completly un-drivable.
If you have not been able to work it out with the transmission shop, before you take unilateral step of stop payment, I would urge you to talk to a lawyer. Look back at the paper you signed to authorize repair (even if you did not) the shop holds lien on your vehicle. They can take action to possess it till they are paid.

You can give them a second chance to fix it or come to a mutually agreeable solution. Just like you have rights the mechanics at the shop have theirs too.

Salim
Old 07-25-08, 04:22 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually the first thing the credit card company wants you to do is try and work it out with the shop. You may want to contact the shop, tell them what Lexus has found and see if they offer a solution. Maybe they will offer to install a rebuilt trans, rather than try rebuilding again themselves.
Getting the credit card company to kick *** may work against you.
Old 07-28-08, 02:19 PM
bjz3638
Driver School Candidate

I have contacted the transmission shop. They have basiclly stuck to their conclustion that the ECM was faulty. Why would an ECM fail? Lexus confirmed no electrical problems. The trans shop owner went on to then tell me they WOULD refund the money for labor, he then added he wanted the transmission back either in or out of the car. I told him I will be sending him the bill for 2+ weeks of rental car & I am going after them for completely screwing up the transmission + additional cost of what the Lexus dealer difference.

I must remind you the vehicle was driven into the shop with a shift slip on 2-3 but it had to be TOWED from the shop after they exhausted all of thier options. These guys were in over their head on this one. I should have known.

They have basically admitted that they were wrong (hence a labor refund) and on the other they want the transmission back for who knows what reasons?? - but their not getting it back.

Lexus is installing a lexus reman tranny and is guaranteeing me that its NOT a ECM problem, rather a faulty re-build ( mechanical problem)

Stay tuned......FYI 4 lexus dealers I called here in the valley for quotes said they don't touch the insides of these trannys as they are very complicated, rather they take the 13 hours to remove and install a remanufactured transmission.

Quick Reply: 2000 RX 300 HELP!!! transmission Shop says.....