RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What is your prefered Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 10:29 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is your prefered Air Filter?

ok folks, you all have been great help..
here is next question for advice..

what is prefered Air Filter, pros and cons?
thanks
Old 07-31-08, 06:12 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

K&N drop in filter,only re-oil the suction (where the dirt catches) side of the filter when cleaning/re-oiling.I have noticed quicker throttle response,and almost a .5 mpg better in fuel economy.
Old 07-31-08, 10:41 AM
hcfarm
Rookie

I like the K&N also..thank you for your observations also....

ok folks, I am looking for your favorite filter and why please..
are there any threads that would show preference information for me?

thanks
Old 07-31-08, 02:21 PM
Blkongray
Driver School Candidate

There have been many discussions around K&N and the fact that they don't filter out as much debris and contaminants as other filters... but then again they breath better/easier giving better throttle response and a bit more power. I use Wix when I can. I look for heavy pleating and thick filter material. I've used Puralator, too, and they're decent.

Here's an interesting read if you want detailed testing on air filters. Their summary was, "That said, both the cotton gauze type (K&N) and foam filters (Amsoil & Jackson Racing) showed the same levels of filtration. Both performed poorly compared to the fiberous or paper filters (Napa, Baldwin, and Mazda factory replacement)." http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Old 07-31-08, 05:27 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

ok, thanks for the site to look at,
so what I am getting out of this is that I need to stick with the paper or fibrous material. I am not a racer so really my application would be to have more filtered air than not..right?

I like the k/n for ease of cleaning but if it is going to be bad for my motor, then I don't want to chance it..thanks for the info..

are there any other folks that would like to comment on the preferred air filter? I think I might be sold on the paper, but I would like to hear other opinions also..

Originally Posted by Blkongray
There have been many discussions around K&N and the fact that they don't filter out as much debris and contaminants as other filters... but then again they breath better/easier giving better throttle response and a bit more power. I use Wix when I can. I look for heavy pleating and thick filter material. I've used Puralator, too, and they're decent.

Here's an interesting read if you want detailed testing on air filters. Their summary was, "That said, both the cotton gauze type (K&N) and foam filters (Amsoil & Jackson Racing) showed the same levels of filtration. Both performed poorly compared to the fiberous or paper filters (Napa, Baldwin, and Mazda factory replacement)." http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Old 07-31-08, 09:29 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Stock OE, fits perfect, never oils the MAF, cheap.

I'll give up 5 hp for convenience on this car.
Old 08-01-08, 06:29 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

All I can say is I have used the K&N filter for over a year now.Except for a brief period of time,when everyone was making me paranoid over this MAF sensor stuff.The RX was not as responsive on the stock filter,and when I cleaned my throttle body passages,it was all clean.BTW,when the K&N filter media starts to get dirty,it actually filters better,and still will out perform a dirty factory filter.You guys are reading into this too much,Lexmex didnt even run a filter at all in mexico,and his vehicle still runs fine.As for me,I`ll take the K&N over stock any day.(just my opinion)