RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

adding a backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 02:04 AM
RA073123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding a backup camera

I know someone on this forum has added a backup camera to their rx300, what do you guys recommend? rear view mirror with lcd? what kind of camera and what type? with or without IR for night vision?
Old 08-02-08, 07:54 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I added a Roadmaster camera and display to my truck, the wireless didnt work well, but when I called them they sent me an entire new unit with hard wire cable. Works great, Can only give them many thumbs up for that kind of customer service. I had owned the unit for over a year and bought it on Ebay. But that is on my Ford f150. Beware of the wireless, they may be very static.
Old 08-02-08, 12:26 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by titogreggy
I know someone on this forum has added a backup camera to their rx300, what do you guys recommend? rear view mirror with lcd? what kind of camera and what type? with or without IR for night vision?
tito- What Thomas said is very true- the wireless is a lot easier to install but is a touch dicey (I have a Roadmaster on my truck), my main objection is to the small screen. They are not a high line setup. I wouldn't personally get anything smaller than at least a 4 in. screen, you'll be disappointed in too small a screen. You also will probably want IR. Google is your friend. Do your shopping and comparing online. You may want to dig a little deeper into the wireless, I'm not enough knowledgable, it may be that a better line of wireless is shielded so that you don't have the outside interference. You may find that though the RVM is handy, that the screen may be small on them for obvious reasons and probably will be more expensive than a stand alone unit.
Old 08-02-08, 06:12 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed a wireless unit on my wife's old van after she learned to love the one on our RX 330. It's kind of a small screen, but mounting it just over the mirror helps. The standard install has you switch the monitor on when you are backing up (the camera is powered off the backup light circuit, so its function is automatic).

It works reasonably well for its intended purpose, making it easy to spot trees, garbage cans, fireplugs, posts, small pets and children on the screen, just don't expect a HD picture. My only real complaint for the price (~$75) is that you have to switch the gain to one of four or five levels to control exposure. Level 1 is fine for daylight and early evening, but you have to kick in gain to see at night. Despite a pretty grainy picture at high gain, it actually "sees" better than the camera in the RX.

The wireless video signal works well in the van where the signal is unobstructed between the rear view mirror and the rear license plate. If the vehicle had a conventional trunk and rear seat, it might be a lot worse. Try moving the monitor around a little, or repositioning the power wire that is also used as the antenna. Because of the liftgate on the van I had to extend this wire a couple of feet to run up inside the tailgate, where it passed through a pair of drilled and grommetted holes into the body, then back down to the driver's side backup light. That long "antenna" running up and around the rear glass probably helps the range a bit.

Now, I need to hook up the monitor power to the backup lights and short the switch to lock it on at all times.

Last edited by Lil4X; 08-02-08 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-02-08, 10:54 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

When I called Roadmaster, the representive informed me that the Wireless sucks with trucks as the license is down on the bumper and the signal is loss in the bed of the truck...He suggested the wired hookup, and for some strange reason gave me the hard wire for free. I called only for technical suggestions to get past the static problem. Anyway, it works fantastic now with no static whatsoever. Yes the screen is small, but it at least gives me the visability now and I wired mine to a switch so I can turn it on anytime...
Old 08-03-08, 02:23 AM
RA073123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just bought an audiovox rear view mirror with a 4' lcd screen embedded for only 19 bucks at a local Circuit City. It was a display model that still worked!! What a steal.. just need a camera was looking at the license plate cam but they were asking 149 for it... looking on ebay i can get one for about 50 or so.. does anyone think those cams with IR is any good.. I figure theyd be good for night driving but what happens when the reverse lights kick on?