RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Failing Part {transmission rebuild**

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 09:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey00
I picked up my RX from the trans shop today and don't have much info on the failing part. "It's all tore up in there, same as they always are" is the famous quote from the guy who did the rebuild. He claims they all come in pretty much in the same condition. All the standard wear parts in the rebuild kit are pretty much shot and then they usually have to add some gears to that to complete the rebuilt. He says it could be a some sort of lubrication problem causing massive failure or a single part failing and in turn clogging the filter and starving the pump. Once the pump is starved you definetly have a lubrication problem which causes even the good parts to fail. One good thing is he said they don't come back after they rebuild them. He said they may have fixed/redesigned the failing part (if it is just one causing the problem) or it could be due to the fact that they use Mobil 1 full synthetic in all the transmissions that they do. I questioned this, knowing that Mobil 1 is not listed as T-IV compatible but ended up going with it anyway due to their success record. Rumor is T-IV should be listed on the Mobil 1 bottle sometime around the end of the year.
What transmission shop did you go to? I live in Eastern PA,maybe it`s not too far from me to get to.
Old 01-06-09, 10:08 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Denville Transmission in Denville NJ. Unfortunately it's a bit of a ride from PA. I don't know that they did anything special other than a good rebuild. I would think you could find a local shop if you look around. I just kind of picked these guys out of the yellow pages then did some searching around and found the local newspaper picked them best trans shop in Morris County. I went into the shop and spoke with them and they seemed genuine so I gave them the job. So far so good.
Old 01-06-09, 10:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

okay, I do have a local one picked out here in Bath PA called Airport Road Transmissions. When i called them,they stated that they had just finished an RX trans.They were recommended by a mechanic friend of mine. I don`t want to do the chain shop thing. (this is all when the time comes) rite now it`s doing ok.