RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is my battery about to go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 04:38 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my battery about to go?

Looking for advice from the brain trust here.

Lately(last couple of months) our RX has had what I'd call electrical gremlins. Passenger side window does not always do what its suppose to and today, a weak turnover when starting the RX after work....followed by the "windshield washer fluid low light" and "rear tail light failure light" on the dash going on when putting it into reverse, then going off after putting it drive.

Put the car in drive and drove home, which is about 15miles. Tried to reproduce the problem, but couldn't. Checked the washer fluid and its 90% full and the rear tail lights and brake lights are all working with the car running and when its off.

No check engine light, so I'm assuming no codes got thrown. I started thinking it could be the battery? Its the orignial battery and the RX is 6 years old, so maybe its time for a new one.

I'm reading the search for battery dying behavior as I'm posting this at the same time. What do you guys think?
Old 08-06-08, 04:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I'll add a few others. The infamous 1:00 A.M. clock and one that I have had, because I don't drive as much as I used to, is the center panel (the blue screen) sometimes not showing anything other than time (and not allowing you to change the time).

The lights can go bad themselves even before they fully go out. I had a recent issue with both of my headlamps, where sometimes they would go on and sometimes not, sometimes it would be one and not the other one. Ended up replacing both bulbs and not an issue since.
Old 08-06-08, 05:02 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Lexmex, I did read about the 1:00AM clock and the blue screen of death in past posts. If I had seen either one of those behaviors, I'd feel good about just throwing in a new battery as its sort of common traits before the battery goes. I did not see either of those behaviors tho.

For my RX the "rear tail lights" it wasn't the lights themselves, it was the warning light on the dash that went on. The windshield washer fluild light went on too and thats 90% percent full. I initially thought maybe its a sensor issue, but then figured think simple first and maybe its just the 6 year old battery.

I'm going to let my RX sit for awhile and see if it happens again.

I was looking at the thread where you posted pic's of your Optima Red top battery. Other then bending the clamping, adding a few washers to the back, is there anything else about the install I should know? You posted the zip-ties might have to be cut for the cables to reach too?
Old 08-06-08, 05:19 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hitthepin
Lexmex, I did read about the 1:00AM clock and the blue screen of death in past posts. If I had seen either one of those behaviors, I'd feel good about just throwing in a new battery as its sort of common traits before the battery goes. I did not see either of those behaviors tho.

For my RX the "rear tail lights" it wasn't the lights themselves, it was the warning light on the dash that went on. The windshield washer fluild light went on too and thats 90% percent full. I initially thought maybe its a sensor issue, but then figured think simple first and maybe its just the 6 year old battery.

I'm going to let my RX sit for awhile and see if it happens again.

I was looking at the thread where you posted pic's of your Optima Red top battery. Other then bending the clamping, adding a few washers to the back, is there anything else about the install I should know? You posted the zip-ties might have to be cut for the cables to reach too?
The blue screen of death usually occurs for a brief few seconds until I put it in drive and then it comes on for me. I just need to take my RX out more often, but everything is just a 1 minute to 30 second drive for me here.

On the Optima, it is really just stretching the battery cables and adding the washers, not much else.
Old 08-06-08, 06:15 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

These are typical symptoms.

The sure test is to have the battery tested uneder-load (all shops that sell the battery can do this for free).

If you plan to install optima-red (many will say it is an overkill), remember to pick up the snap-on base to raise the height.

Salim
Old 08-06-08, 07:58 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
These are typical symptoms.

The sure test is to have the battery tested uneder-load (all shops that sell the battery can do this for free).

If you plan to install optima-red (many will say it is an overkill), remember to pick up the snap-on base to raise the height.

Salim
Salim, the symptoms I described on my RX is typical? Or are you referring to the usual 1:00 flashing and the blue screen Lexmex mentioned?

I haven't decided on the optima red just yet. If my present battery holds out a few more weeks, I might go for one of those Braille batteries mentioned in many posts here.

However, where can I get the snap-on base? Any autozone or the like?
Old 08-06-08, 08:27 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Those are some strange symptoms but at 6 years you have done well and I would replace the battery before even looking into anything else. I've tried too many times to get maximum life out of a battery or tires only to ask myself later why did I do it to save a very small amount of money. With the life your are talking about your cost is like $2 per month so if you get a couple of extra months what have you saved. I have found Lexus OEM batteries to be better than almost anything I have had and much better then Lexus replacement batteries.

Dave Mac
Old 08-06-08, 08:42 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Oh I wasn't trying to penny pinch on a battery. I wouldn't be considering an Optima or Braille if I was frugal. My point was if my battery dies tomorrow, I'll probably go to Costco and pick up an Optima. If present battery last a bit longer for me to research on the Braille and I think it worth it, I'll probably order one of those, but I'll have to wait for it.

I'll probably end up with the Optima cause the Braille is around $265 bucks from what other members here posted. I would buy one just for kicks, but my RX needs a timing belt changed soon and it needs new tires soon as well.

I was looking at the Michelins and those are cheap either.
Old 08-06-08, 09:09 PM
salimshah

I have purchased and installed 3 Optima red-tops in 3 of the vehicles. The last purchase I made, the display stall for optima had the bases next to the batteries. [When I made the earlier purchases, there were no snap on bases]. Some batteries come with the height adjusting base snapped on, for Optima's it seems you have to pick one up as you purchase the battery.

Optimas are not cheap. You can purchase equally good batteries for 1/2 ~ 3/4 of the price. I like them as they are totally sealed. Due to fitment reasons, Optimas don't show up as possible replacements.

Salim
Old 08-06-08, 09:18 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
I have purchased and installed 3 Optima red-tops in 3 of the vehicles. The last purchase I made, the display stall for optima had the bases next to the batteries. [When I made the earlier purchases, there were no snap on bases]. Some batteries come with the height adjusting base snapped on, for Optima's it seems you have to pick one up as you purchase the battery.

Optimas are not cheap. You can purchase equally good batteries for 1/2 ~ 3/4 of the price. I like them as they are totally sealed. Due to fitment reasons, Optimas don't show up as possible replacements.

Salim
Thanks I'll look out for the bases. I was at my local Costco today and the Optimas are 129 bucks for the red top. I didn't see any bases for the batteries on the display stall.

I don't mind paying a premium as long as its performance is excellent.
Old 08-06-08, 11:06 PM
salimshah

I bought the battery and base from PepBoys. Check and compare prices too.
120 sound right (not on sale)

Salim
Old 08-07-08, 05:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I have seen the Optimas also sold with bases at AutoZone.
Old 08-07-08, 07:34 AM
pbonck
Driver School Candidate

I've had similar problems with mine. I changed the battery and voila. It works as advertised. Hope this helps.

Looking for advice from the brain trust here.

Lately(last couple of months) our RX has had what I'd call electrical gremlins. Passenger side window does not always do what its suppose to and today, a weak turnover when starting the RX after work....followed by the "windshield washer fluid low light" and "rear tail light failure light" on the dash going on when putting it into reverse, then going off after putting it drive.

Put the car in drive and drove home, which is about 15miles. Tried to reproduce the problem, but couldn't. Checked the washer fluid and its 90% full and the rear tail lights and brake lights are all working with the car running and when its off.

No check engine light, so I'm assuming no codes got thrown. I started thinking it could be the battery? Its the orignial battery and the RX is 6 years old, so maybe its time for a new one.

I'm reading the search for battery dying behavior as I'm posting this at the same time. What do you guys think?
Old 08-07-08, 07:52 AM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by pbonck
I've had similar problems with mine. I changed the battery and voila. It works as advertised. Hope this helps.
You have? Thanks for the confirmation. Its pretty much time to change my battery anyway, but now I'll feel better about the gremlins going away.
Old 08-07-08, 10:29 AM
mwbuck
Driver

You have? Thanks for the confirmation. Its pretty much time to change my battery anyway, but now I'll feel better about the gremlins going away.
Dying batteries can cause a lot of different gremlins. When mine was going out about 2 years ago, the transmission would act funny like it didnt know whether to shift into 3rd or stay in 2nd. The radio would randomly shut off too. As soon as I went to Costco and replaced the battery, the car went back to being its old self.

Quick Reply: Is my battery about to go?