RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus Service department not in my area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 09:24 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lexus Service department not in my area?

would a reputable toyota department be ok for minor diagnosis,parts and repairs?

they would order parts thru lexus for me

what other alternatives have you used for proper fitting parts?

thanks
jon
Old 08-06-08, 11:00 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Any competent mechanic can yake care of routine things/service.

Lexus should work with you and arrage warranty work through Toyota and even independents in case Lexus is far (dont know what constitutes far 50, 200 ,, call them).

For unique parts, you have to call Lexus parts ... they ship, there are some dealerships on internet too. If you know a common part with the Toyota line (lexus is now their own part number for identical part). Then there are generic parts like tires and battery etc.

If you are DIY type, and have the tools, you dont need to go anywhere.

Salim
Old 08-07-08, 06:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

1st edition Toyota Highlander V6 is a virtual clone as far as the engine systems are concerned.
Old 08-07-08, 07:54 AM
aleksg
Driver School Candidate

Hey i understand that the camry 2000 is the identical engine to the rx300 2000 as well. correct me if i am wrong.
Old 08-07-08, 08:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by aleksg
Hey i understand that the camry 2000 is the identical engine to the rx300 2000 as well. correct me if i am wrong.
The V6 version of the Camry is also a 1MZFE engine like that of the V6 version of the RX300 (there are 4 cylinder version of the RX300/Harriers in some parts of the world). However, there are subtle differences between the 1MZFE in the Camry and the RX300, such as the dual throttle body for the RX300, but the single on for the Camry. Also the ignition coils (as I well know from experience) are slightly different along with the placement of the radiator cap.
Old 08-07-08, 10:34 AM
hcfarm
Rookie

I want to start with trans, drop pan, new strainer, filter refill with amsoil..
so where is best option for me on pan gasket,strainer filter? or do i need to change out the strainer?
would toyota dealer or would autozone have what I need?
Old 08-07-08, 10:42 AM
hcfarm
Rookie

hey salimshah, I live in texas, where would you suggest for parts from lexus? I live about 150 miles from houston, so i would want parts delivered..thanks
jon
Originally Posted by salimshah
Any competent mechanic can yake care of routine things/service.

Lexus should work with you and arrage warranty work through Toyota and even independents in case Lexus is far (dont know what constitutes far 50, 200 ,, call them).

For unique parts, you have to call Lexus parts ... they ship, there are some dealerships on internet too. If you know a common part with the Toyota line (lexus is now their own part number for identical part). Then there are generic parts like tires and battery etc.

If you are DIY type, and have the tools, you dont need to go anywhere.

Salim
Old 08-07-08, 11:04 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hcfarm
would a reputable toyota department be ok for minor diagnosis,parts and repairs?
Most remote Toyota dealer should be able to repair and diagnos any Lexus. I used to live in a pretty remote area for a number of years and the closest Toyota dealer was about 20 miles away. The closest Lexus dealer was at least 100 miles from me. I asked the Toyota dealer if they would get me a Lexus and they said that it would not be a problem at all. They also said that it would not a problem to service the Lexus either.

A lot of people forget that many Lexus dealers are own by long term Toyota dealers.

In the GTA we have about 6 Lexus dealers I believe. Oakville, Ken Shaw, Bramalea, Erin Park and Scarborough Lexus are all owned by existing Toyota dealers and once shared the same building.

Ken Shaw is the only remaining Lexus/Toyota dealer that shares the building for both Lexus and Toyota. You can walk into the Toyota showroom which connects to the Lexus showroom....everything connects to the service department which has two differnt desks....the best thing of all is that the mechanic wears a Toyota shirt as he drives off with you Lexus and parks it next to the Toyota Corolla on the lift.

they would order parts thru lexus for me
Yes they will but you have to approach them the right way and you need a good parts guy. They would charge you the Lexus part price.

At Ken Shaw the parts department is open till midnight Mon-Fri and you can order both Lexus and Toyota parts from the same desk.
Old 08-07-08, 11:57 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

I am sure Lexus of Austin will take your order and money over phone and have the things delivered to you via ups or others. Lexus warehouse is in Dallas (I dont know if they deal directly with customers). One of the Dallas Lexus dealer sells stuff on the internet.

Dont want open up Lexus/Toyota discussion but over time Lexus of USA is distancing itself from Toyota of USA. Some Lexus owners have been turned back politely to take their vehicles to Lexus from Toyota.

By the way, Lexus of Austin used to be joint BMW/Lexus shop. The place looks lot better once the BMW moved out.

Salim
Old 08-07-08, 07:43 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

so how about this one, go to toyota for these items or does autozone, oriely carry OEM or comparable
?
I want to start with trans, drop pan, new strainer, filter refill with amsoil..
so where is best option for me on pan gasket,strainer filter? or do i need to change out the strainer?
would toyota dealer or would autozone have what I need?
Old 08-07-08, 07:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

so how about this one, go to toyota for these items or does autozone, oriely carry OEM or comparable
?
Toyota would have pan gasket and strainer filter. My father used to go get these for me at a local Toyota dealer when I lived in the Mexico and just order the same parts from a 1st gen. Toyota Highlander V6. Same exact parts.