RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus Short Key vs. Long Key

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 05:28 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin1000
The old key starts the car when the old electronics are in it. I was trying to program the new electronics with the new key, so that if I could get the new(not really) electronics to work, then I can just by a new case and have a new key cut, without having to buy new electronics as well. However, when I follow the instructions for programming the electronics at toy-lex.com, I can't get the car to enter programming mode.

Thanks
Kevin
I know the old key with the old electronics starts the car. But can I assume the old key will not start the car with the new electronics in it? If this is the case you have to follow the key programming sequence first. Once the key is programmed you then follow the remote programming sequence. I suspect you are trying the remote programming sequence without first doing the key programming sequence which is why you can't enter programming mode.
Old 08-27-08, 06:07 PM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But the old key was already programmed to the car, why would it need to be programmed again?
Old 08-27-08, 06:12 PM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

Also, what I am trying to do today is take the electronics that don't work, and then use the new key that does work with my old electronics, and program the electronics that don't work using a key that does work. Interestingly, I just went and tried to start the car with the old key, and the new electronics, and it wouldn't start. Too much for my little brain to comprehend!
Old 08-27-08, 06:28 PM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

Finally, I tried programming the old key again like you said, but I can't get programming mode to go on that either. Toy-lex.com says that after step one, the light should stop flashing, and not flash again until step 6. It never stops flashing for me.
Old 08-28-08, 05:41 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

But the old key was already programmed to the car, why would it need to be programmed again?
Here is the part you are missing here. When you program a key to start the car, it is not actually the key that gets programmed to the car. It is the electronics in that key. So if you remove the electronics and put in new electronics, the key will no longer start the car. You have to follow the steps for key programming again. Once this first part of programming so the key starts the car is complete, then you move on to programming the remote part. It sounds like you are taking a key, actually electronics in that key, that is not programmed to start the car and trying to go directly to programming the remote.
Another bit of info that may help understanding: You are not actually programming the electronics within the key. What actually gets programmed is the ECU in the car to accept the code the electronics in the key is producing.

Step 1: Follow key programming sequence. Don't assume key is programmed because it worked with old electronics. The electronics are gone so the key is no longer programmed.
Step 2: Following remote programming sequence.
Old 08-28-08, 06:28 AM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I'll try all of that. But what about the fact that the light does not behave the way toy-lex.com says it will. Remember, it is supposed to stop flashing and stay off after step one, but mine never does.
Old 08-28-08, 06:49 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, I'll try all of that. But what about the fact that the light does not behave the way toy-lex.com says it will. Remember, it is supposed to stop flashing and stay off after step one, but mine never does.
If that's the case it sounds like you are not inserting an already programmed master key as it says to do. Before you start procedure try to start the car with key. If it starts you have a programmed key. Remember, although we keep using the word "key" it is really the electronics in the key that the ECU is reading.
Old 08-28-08, 08:51 AM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

No, the key I am using starts the car. Is it possible that the electronics that I am trying to program need to be reset? For example, if they were a used set that were programmed to another car, do they need to be re-set before they can be re-programmed? I am starting to think that the Toyota dealership screwed my car up somehow in the two hours that they were trying to program the new(used) electronics. They kept telling me that the "master" technician that was working on it just couldn't get the new key to program.
Old 08-28-08, 12:47 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

No, the key I am using starts the car. Is it possible that the electronics that I am trying to program need to be reset? For example, if they were a used set that were programmed to another car, do they need to be re-set before they can be re-programmed? I am starting to think that the Toyota dealership screwed my car up somehow in the two hours that they were trying to program the new(used) electronics. They kept telling me that the "master" technician that was working on it just couldn't get the new key to program.
I don't think the electronics need to be reset or anything like that. I also don't think they screwed up anything. My take is first try to get both keys to start the car. As long as that works, then move on to the remote programming. These directions were first provided by "Daddy-O" in 1/03 and verified by "gp1200x" later in 03. They are slightly different than the toy-lex site directions and add times to help with the process. Give these a try.

"Programming replacement keys. 1998 and up Lexus models

-Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors.
-Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
-Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn the key.
-Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
-Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
-Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
-Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition.
-Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
-Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete
-Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful."
Old 08-28-08, 06:01 PM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

Still nothing. This is really frustrating. Is there some way that the remote key could be programmed like a valet key? The toy-lex directions say that if it won't go into programming mode, to make sure you are using a master, and not the valet. The key I am using as a master is a remote, that works both as a remote, and to start the car.
Old 08-28-08, 06:40 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Finally, I tried programming the old key again like you said, but I can't get programming mode to go on that either. Toy-lex.com says that after step one, the light should stop flashing, and not flash again until step 6. It never stops flashing for me.
I am starting to run out of ideas, but haven't given up yet. You said above that your security light never stops flashing. Step 1 is just inserting the key without turning it. Are you saying your light continues to flash at this point? When my RX is sitting idle the secuity light is flashing. If I insert the key (master or valet) it stops flashing.
Old 08-28-08, 06:50 PM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

Correct, and I just went out and double checked. The light does not stop flashing when I insert the key. When the car is started, the light goes out. When the car is locked, the light glows solid. Otherwise, the light flashes.
Old 08-28-08, 07:34 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Correct, and I just went out and double checked. The light does not stop flashing when I insert the key. When the car is started, the light goes out. When the car is locked, the light glows solid. Otherwise, the light flashes.
I just double checked mine. Light is on solid when locked. Flashing when unlocked. When I insert the key (master or valet) the security light goes out. The only difference is mine is a 2001 and yours is a 2000. Anyone out there with a 2000 want to verify this?
Old 08-31-08, 07:24 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

It sure would be nice if anyone with a 2000 would help out here. All you have to do is insert your key and verify if the security light goes out before turning the key.

Anyway, I have some other thoughts. It seems like the problem here is your car will not enter programming mode. So the key electronics you are trying to program may or may not be good but if your car won't enter programming mode you will never know.
I know your security light continues to flash after key is inserted. Will it stop flashing if the key is turned to "acc" or "on". If so try at that point if you can enter programming mode. The only problem is that when the directions have you remove the programmed key and insert the one you want to program, you won't be able to. Just have both keys opened up and swap the electronics at this point.
Is rhere anything I am missing here that would cause your security light to behave differently? Remote starter? Alarm, factory or add on? Any other electrical changes?
Old 09-05-08, 05:26 PM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

Finally got time to try your suggestions, just hammered with work this week. Nothing new to report though. As far as I can tell, there are no changes to it electrically. I am not the original owner though, I am the third. So you just never know. But from a quick glance under the dash, everything seems original.

Quick Reply: Lexus Short Key vs. Long Key