RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus Short Key vs. Long Key

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 11:52 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin1000
Finally got time to try your suggestions, just hammered with work this week. Nothing new to report though. As far as I can tell, there are no changes to it electrically. I am not the original owner though, I am the third. So you just never know. But from a quick glance under the dash, everything seems original.
Does the dealer where you bought yours have another 2000 on the lot? You need to verify that on a 2000 the security light stops flashing when the key is inserted. It does on my 01 but this may be one of the subtle changes between the years. If that dealer doesn't have a 2000 go to any dealer that does or anyone you see that does have a 2000, just ask them to insert their key to see if the security light stops flashing. If their's does stop flashing, it looks like you have a ECU problem. It may be worth a try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset things and give it a try.
If their security behaves as yours does, then it is time to look a little further into the numbers on that remote you are trying to program. It also may be worth a try to send a email to tech support at toy-lex.com.
Old 09-07-08, 12:25 PM
m1tk4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevin1000
Still nothing. This is really frustrating. Is there some way that the remote key could be programmed like a valet key?
Yes. You can program a remote key as valet and a non-remote key as master, the remote itself does not guarantee that the key is master. The difference would be that the security light stops flashing when a master key is inserted. Valet key will keep the light flashing until you start the engine.

You can re-program your valet key to be recognized as the master if you have at least 1 master key.
Old 09-07-08, 01:09 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by m1tk4
Yes. You can program a remote key as valet and a non-remote key as master, the remote itself does not guarantee that the key is master. The difference would be that the security light stops flashing when a master key is inserted. Valet key will keep the light flashing until you start the engine.

You can re-program your valet key to be recognized as the master if you have at least 1 master key.
Are you sure about this? I have a 2001 purchased new from Lexus dealer with all original keys. The security light stops flashing immediately when either the master or valet key is inserted.
Also how would you program a key to be a master or valet? It looks like the programming steps are the same for both and the electronics in the key determines whether it is a master or valet.
Old 09-07-08, 01:35 PM
m1tk4
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikey00
Also how would you program a key to be a master or valet? It looks like the programming steps are the same for both and the electronics in the key determines whether it is a master or valet.
The programming steps are not the same. You push accel 5 times, break 6 times to program the key as master, accel 4 times and break 5 times to program it as "sub"-key, i.e. valet. See factory repair manual, pp. BE-220 & BE-222.

I remember reading about watching the blinking turn off as a way to tell a master key from valet, somewhere - I can't find it in the manual, though.

The sure way to test if the key is a valet or master is to try to enter the programming mode using it. If it is a valet key, after you press the pedals and take it out, the security light will go on (i.e. the ECU will not enter programming mode). With the master key, it will stay off.
Old 09-07-08, 01:43 PM
m1tk4
Rookie

Also, I don't know if you can re-add the valet key that is already programmed as a master. What you could do though is to delete all programmed key but 1 master. To do so:

1. Insert master key in the cylinder
2. Within 15 seconds, press and release accel pedal 6 times
3. Within 20 seconds, press and release brake pedal 7 times
4. Within 10 seconds, remove the master key
5. Wait 25 seconds without any operation (including opening doors, etc.)

This will erase all keys except the one you use to perform the procedure.
Old 09-07-08, 01:55 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by m1tk4
The programming steps are not the same. You push accel 5 times, break 6 times to program the key as master, accel 4 times and break 5 times to program it as "sub"-key, i.e. valet. See factory repair manual, pp. BE-220 & BE-222.

I remember reading about watching the blinking turn off as a way to tell a master key from valet, somewhere - I can't find it in the manual, though.

The sure way to test if the key is a valet or master is to try to enter the programming mode using it. If it is a valet key, after you press the pedals and take it out, the security light will go on (i.e. the ECU will not enter programming mode). With the master key, it will stay off.
Yes, I see that in the manual now. I guess I should have been looking in the manual to begin with rather than just reading the online steps.
As far as determining master vs. valet I found the answer online and just verified it on my RX: Security light is flashing without key. If you insert master key light goes out immediately. If you insert valet key light stays on for 1 sec then goes out. Still all this is without any turning of the key.
So Kevin1000, you need to try this to determine if your master is programmed as a master or valet. Or if yours keeps flashing until key is turned, then I don't know what to think. Unless it's different for a 2000. Sure wish someone would verify this.

Last edited by mikey00; 09-07-08 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-07-08, 06:28 PM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the dealerships are all closed on Sundays, so I disconnected the battery for about half an hour to see, and nothing changed. And my remote key, which I would consider the master, does not behave the way you describe even a valet dey would, i.e. the light does not go off even after a second.