RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus Short Key vs. Long Key

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 05:36 PM
stvcramer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lexus Short Key vs. Long Key

I just got a 2002 RX300 a couple of weeks ago from a used car lot and it came with only one key. It was a master with the wireless remote built in. As part of the deal I asked them to provide me with a second master key. Instead of buying one from the Lexus dealer they bought one off eBay that wasn't cut. I found a locksmith locally who can cut it but I just noticed that the blade is longer on the new uncut one than the original. I found a posting that told which Lexus' use the short vs. long blade and it looks like the RX300 is suppose to use the short bladed key. Before I spend the money to have this cut I was wondering if the blade length really makes a difference? Secondly, are the electronic chips the same in the remotes that have the short blade vs. the ones with the long blade?
Old 08-08-08, 07:46 PM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

It all depends upon the locksmith -- what he can shape and also your demand as to how far to the hilt it engages.

You did not mention how you want to solve the electronics situation... imobilizer code needs to be programmed and wireless codes need to learnt.

Did the key come with one?

Salim
Old 08-09-08, 06:03 AM
stvcramer
Driver School Candidate

Salim,

When my current key is engaged it doesn't look like it goes all the way to the hilt, so I don't think that would be a problem with a longer key. I don't know if the key stops because it gets to the end of the grove down the middle towards the hilt or if it stops because it hits the other end of key.
I forgot to mention that the new key has the transponder unit also. I'm just not sure if the transponders are the same between cars that use the long blade vs. the ones using the short bladed key.

Steve

Last edited by stvcramer; 08-09-08 at 06:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-08, 06:36 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,
All the internal electronics are different between the various Lexus models (although a few are shared). If you want to double-check, you can remove the back case on the key and verify the back of the electronics has a "clear" cover over the battery. The RX300 model has the only key which has a clear battery cover. I'm sure your car lot got you the right key.

As for the long shank vs. short shank, this is a touch one. It most cases it doesn't matter at all as a long key can be substituted for the short one, but on some models, the transponder in the inner electronics is not close enough for the computer to read thus not allowing the Lexus to start. Most of the time, this isn't an issue.

My suggestion to you is at the very least always make sure you have at least one master key. DO NOT LOOSE IT! If you loose it, you're looking at further heartache attempting to flash your computer or replacing it with a new one to allow you to add an additional key.

Feel free to touch base with me if I missed something.
Darrel Diller
ddiller@sewell.com
Old 08-09-08, 06:46 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Here is what I would do. Go to this site:
http://toy-lex.com/
Follow the programming instructions for the new key. This is a 2 step programming process. First you need to program the engine immbolizer (security light) and then the remote so your buttons will work. Just remember you are not really programming the key, you are programming the ECU in your car to accept the new electronic part of the key, which is removable. Then remove the electronics from the key and swap it with your short blade key and test to make sure everything works. If everything works you now have 2 good electronic key heads programmed to your car. I would then order a new short blade key (minus electronics) from the link I gave you and put the working electronics into it. It's only $40 cut for your car. Most likely not much different then what a locksmith will charge to cut the long blade key. You can also check with tech support at the site.
Old 08-10-08, 08:08 AM
stvcramer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Darrel for the information on how to determine if I have the correct electronics. My new remote does have a clear battery case cover. So i'll assume it is the correct one.

The posting by mikey00 sounds like a good idea but according to the programming instructions I will need to insert the new key into the ignition in order for the ECU to be programmed with the new electronics information. However at this point I don't have the new key cut so I can't insert it in the ignition. My next question would be, does it really have to be in the ignition? Or, does it just have to be close enough to the ignition switch for the ECU to be able to read the information it needs?

One last question. I read somewhere that the ECU will only store up to five keys at a time. The sixth key would cause the first key information to roll out of the ECU. Is this true? If so, is there any way of finding out how many keys are currently programmed in the ECU?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by stvcramer; 08-10-08 at 08:19 AM. Reason: another question
Old 08-10-08, 04:45 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I have never seen an official document from Lexus stating how many keys the ECU would accept, but a previous poster claimed 10 (7 master, 3 Valet). To answer your second question a key does not have to be cut to be programed. Here is the procedure for programming uncut keys:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ferrerid=12681
It also looks like this guy programmed 7 keys.
Old 08-11-08, 06:30 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

stv,you will need to be patient while doing the programing,it took me around three or four times before I got it.
Old 08-21-08, 04:30 AM
m1tk4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikey00
I have never seen an official document from Lexus stating how many keys the ECU would accept, but a previous poster claimed 10 (7 master, 3 Valet). To answer your second question a key does not have to be cut to be programed. Here is the procedure for programming uncut keys:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ferrerid=12681
It also looks like this guy programmed 7 keys.
The "official document" is called service manual, p. BE-217. Please don't repeat somebody else's unverified information.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Short Key vs. Long Key-keycount.jpg  
Old 08-21-08, 05:42 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by m1tk4
The "official document" is called service manual, p. BE-217. Please don't repeat somebody else's unverified information.
If you continue on to page BE-220 in the manual you are using you will see that somebody else's 'unverified" information is correct. You can program up to 7 keys. The short piece you scanned referrs to how many keys you can register at one time in automatic mode, not the total number.

Last edited by mikey00; 08-21-08 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-21-08, 12:14 PM
m1tk4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikey00
If you continue on to page BE-220 in the manual you are using you will see that somebody else's 'unverified" information is correct. You can program up to 7 keys. The short piece you scanned referrs to how many keys you can register at one time in automatic mode, not the total number.
You are right, I am sorry. It also states you can register 3 valet keys in addition to 7 masters, about a couple of pages later.

All in all, the numbers 7 and 3 have been "officially" confirmed now.
Old 08-22-08, 05:01 PM
stvcramer
Driver School Candidate

I would like to thank everyone who participated in this thread. I was able to pre-program my electronics per the link given to me by Mikey00. I then found a local locksmith who could cut the blade. I decided to go ahead and have him cut my key with the longer blade (instead of getting a short balde key) hoping that it wouldn't keep the transponder too far from the ECU to allow it to start. Everything worked out fine. I hope this thread will be helpful to others in the future.
Old 08-27-08, 03:54 PM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar problem to stvcramer's. I bought a 2000 at Boulder Toyota a couple of weeks ago. When they went to get the keys, out comes this broken remote key held together with duct tape. So they said they would get me a new key, and I could have the broken one as well. I thought great, I can get a new shell and I will have two remotes. So when they got it in, I took the car to them, and two hours later, when they told me it would only take a few minutes they finally have it done. The tech pulls it out, and hands me only the new key, not the both new and broken. So I went back and asked the service advisor where the old one was, "Oh--we didn't think you would want the old one". So, he went and got it, and stupid me,I didn't think to test it. When I got it home, I finally figured out that they just swapped my electronics into the new key. On top of that, while the key is new, the electronics they gave me are not. The buttons are worn, etc. However, they have the clear cover on the battery, so I think they should work if programmed correctly. Also, the light comes on when you push the button, so I think the battery is okay.

I went to toy-lex.com, and followed their remote programming instructions exactly, many times, but to no avail. The car just will not enter programming mode, as evidenced by the locks cycling themselves.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Kevin
Old 08-27-08, 04:58 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevin1000
I have a similar problem to stvcramer's. I bought a 2000 at Boulder Toyota a couple of weeks ago. When they went to get the keys, out comes this broken remote key held together with duct tape. So they said they would get me a new key, and I could have the broken one as well. I thought great, I can get a new shell and I will have two remotes. So when they got it in, I took the car to them, and two hours later, when they told me it would only take a few minutes they finally have it done. The tech pulls it out, and hands me only the new key, not the both new and broken. So I went back and asked the service advisor where the old one was, "Oh--we didn't think you would want the old one". So, he went and got it, and stupid me,I didn't think to test it. When I got it home, I finally figured out that they just swapped my electronics into the new key. On top of that, while the key is new, the electronics they gave me are not. The buttons are worn, etc. However, they have the clear cover on the battery, so I think they should work if programmed correctly. Also, the light comes on when you push the button, so I think the battery is okay.

I went to toy-lex.com, and followed their remote programming instructions exactly, many times, but to no avail. The car just will not enter programming mode, as evidenced by the locks cycling themselves.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Kevin
Does the old key start the car? I suspect the engine will turn over but not start. If not, you have to follow the key programming section first and then the remote programming section. Both of these programming sections are actually tied to the electronics, not the key. Since they swapped the electronics I bet they did not program the key (really electronics) or the remote.
If you get this key working, and there is no reason you shouldn't, visit thejacketstore.com. A cover for a Lexus key will hold a broken shell together and give protection to prevent good keys from breaking. It worked for me.
Old 08-27-08, 05:05 PM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

The old key starts the car when the old electronics are in it. I was trying to program the new electronics with the new key, so that if I could get the new(not really) electronics to work, then I can just by a new case and have a new key cut, without having to buy new electronics as well. However, when I follow the instructions for programming the electronics at toy-lex.com, I can't get the car to enter programming mode.

Thanks
Kevin

Quick Reply: Lexus Short Key vs. Long Key