RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

fuel additives do you use one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 10:43 AM
RA073123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel additives do you use one?

I live in California and mpg is a big issue here. I was wondering what people here use for an additive to keep the engine and fuel system clean. I've been reading a lot of BG44k to loosen up the carbon buildups in the system. Does it also matter which brand of gas you use. I currently use 76 premium gas.
Question 2: What is people's views on the forums on those fuel induction / fuel system cleaning services offered at auto services centers? Are they useful?

Thanks
Greg
Old 08-22-08, 12:00 PM
awdonald
Driver School Candidate

use a "top tier" gas...Chevron / Shell...and forget about additives etc.

Perhaps a shot of Techron (6 bottles for $15 at Costco ) but likely not necessary.

...or buy the magnets to go on your gas line each one gives 10% better mileage...be sure to buy a catch tank if you put more than 10 on the gas line
Old 08-23-08, 01:23 AM
RA073123
Rookie

Default what is considered top tier?

is 76 considered top tier? ive heard from from some mechanics that they prefer 76 because when you splash a bit on the ground 76 gas evaporates the quickiest because its watered down the least... not sure if theres any truth to that..
Old 08-23-08, 07:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

76 is top tier.

I personally prefer Chevron, and that was after trying several gasolines when I first moved to Florida. On some of them, except for Chevron, Shell and Amoco/BP, I got pending A/F sensor issues, as opposed to just a P0171 error due to my intake. I just moved down temporarily to Marco Island and didn't notice much of any issue beyond an occasional P0171 (still have to work a bit on my intake).
Old 08-23-08, 05:52 PM
Vockroth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Chevron in everything. I use it in my lawn mower, dirt bikes boat, and cars.

Here is a story. I was driving my 1971 Chevelle to work when I noticed I was on "E". I was also late for work. I drove to work and planned to get gas on the way home. I left work for the 30 mile commute home forgetting to get gas. At half way home I noticed I needed gas and freaked. I made it of the freeway and pulled into the first gas station I could find. Just happens to be an ARCO. I hate their gas, it smells like oil still. I put in a few bucks and drove away. A mile later my car was pinging when I accelerated. The gas was flashing slamming my valves closed. With no Knock device the car would not retard the timing. I made it almost home and filled up with Chevron. The pinging did go away. See I power timed my Chevelle. This means I would drive my car around, stop and advance the distributor till the car would ping on heavy load. I had a perfect 10 mile hill to do this. Once I got it to ping I would back it off a few degrees till the pinging stopped. Today's cars make all sort of adjustments for the engines performance. They have all sort of sensors relaying information to the computer which sends out signals to make adjustments. This is why you can run junk gas. However junk gas will leave deposits and kill your car. I notice a difference in the sound of the secondaries opening up in my S/B 400 cuin 70 El Camino from using different fuels. Chevron seams to give a higher pitch. I saw the odometer filp twice on the engine I rebuilt. I was hard on that car all the time. I cracked the frame twice where the front coil spring sits. I used to race around in the desert before of loading my bike. I am a little nicer to my 2003 IS300 5 speed.

fuel additives do you use one?-is300-2001-in-garage.jpg
Old 08-25-08, 08:18 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My RX300 is approaching 130K miles. I've never used any fuel additive in it. And I pump mostly supermarket and 7Eleven gas. The engine is still quiet, smooth and powerful.

Based on some of those scary snake oil ads out there, my engine should have seized and be inoperable long ago. Goes to show truth in advertising.
Old 08-27-08, 09:44 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sparingly use BG44K as well as the Chevron fuel injector cleaner from Costco. I don't have any problems whatsoever, primarily for PM. AWD 95% highway is 22-23MPG - the rolling resistnace on Cross Terrains is not as good as the Goodyears.

If you are trying to prevent carbon buildup, I'd recommend a BG throttle body / induction service which will help keep your IACV clean. The service included a can of BG44K in the tank. I try to do this at 30K intervals on all my Lexus vehicles to keep the IACV clean.

Trending Topics

Old 08-28-08, 05:58 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think tires make more difference in mileage than fuel. I've exclusively done either Exxon or Shell premium grade from the time I got my RX (43K miles), put at the same time I've used regular to mid-grade for my previous Civic and nothing really mattered too much.

I say tires, because the OEM Integrity I got about 22 on highway, then when I switched to a wider (235) Cross-Terrain, I dropped to only may 17 mpg on highway. Now I've gone back to a more 'car like' tire with the Duelers and 225, and I'm back to about 21 mpg.

I would say for those living in warm climate with not much rain or snow, to do with more car like tires and softer ride with less rolling resistance. For cold climate snow people, I would say go with Cross-Terrain for safety because the Intergrity are junk and the Duelers I'm reading are not much better.
Old 08-28-08, 07:19 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I think tires make more difference in mileage than fuel. I've exclusively done either Exxon or Shell premium grade from the time I got my RX (43K miles), put at the same time I've used regular to mid-grade for my previous Civic and nothing really mattered too much.

I say tires, because the OEM Integrity I got about 22 on highway, then when I switched to a wider (235) Cross-Terrain, I dropped to only may 17 mpg on highway. Now I've gone back to a more 'car like' tire with the Duelers and 225, and I'm back to about 21 mpg.

I would say for those living in warm climate with not much rain or snow, to do with more car like tires and softer ride with less rolling resistance. For cold climate snow people, I would say go with Cross-Terrain for safety because the Intergrity are junk and the Duelers I'm reading are not much better.
The Goodyears must have a lower rolling resistance.