RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Low Speed Brake Squeal, I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 08:33 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Speed Brake Squeal, I need advice

hey folks, i am back again, I am working down the list of problems on my new to me ride..so here is my next workorder..

how do i stop that brake squeal at low speed, it happens forward and backwards..

the pads are new from when I bought the unit from the car lot, can you help with a fix?

thanks
jon
Old 08-26-08, 04:28 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There are probably other solutions, but the stock solution is anti-squeal shims. If you search the forum archives, you will find numerous instructions and diagrams of what they look like and how they are attached. It sounds to me like whoever replaced the pads didn't replace the anti-squeal shims, or didn't put them back correctly. I've wondered if the blue cream that dries to an anti-squeal membrane that I've used on previous cars would work too, but I'll probably never know.
Old 08-26-08, 07:55 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Originally Posted by bob2200
There are probably other solutions, but the stock solution is anti-squeal shims. If you search the forum archives, you will find numerous instructions and diagrams of what they look like and how they are attached. It sounds to me like whoever replaced the pads didn't replace the anti-squeal shims, or didn't put them back correctly. I've wondered if the blue cream that dries to an anti-squeal membrane that I've used on previous cars would work too, but I'll probably never know.
thanks for the info, you were exactly right! I took off the brakes and there were no anti squeal shims on either side..

my solution was to grease up every contact point where the pads touched any pad support plates..

now it doesn't squeal or make that clicking sound when brake is engaged..I will see how long this works and probably go do the toyota place and see if i can pick up some new squeal shims..

thanks for your tip..

jon
Old 08-31-08, 06:41 PM
Mut
Rookie

Can you post the thread where you found the solution?
Old 08-31-08, 07:31 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mut
Can you post the thread where you found the solution?
Hey mut, I just followed this procedure, see the attachment about brake grease lexus...

I will have to replace the anti squeal shims later, but this help stop the noise quick..

jon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
brake grease lexus.pdf (60.0 KB, 508 views)
Old 09-01-08, 07:50 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hcfarm
thanks for the info, you were exactly right! I took off the brakes and there were no anti squeal shims on either side..

my solution was to grease up every contact point where the pads touched any pad support plates..

now it doesn't squeal or make that clicking sound when brake is engaged..I will see how long this works and probably go do the toyota place and see if i can pick up some new squeal shims..

thanks for your tip..

jon
Are your new pads factory or aftermarket? The shims are only used with the factory pads. I haven't tried it, but I don't think you can even snap them on aftermarket pads if you wanted to.
Old 09-01-08, 10:37 AM
hcfarm
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikey00
Are your new pads factory or aftermarket? The shims are only used with the factory pads. I haven't tried it, but I don't think you can even snap them on aftermarket pads if you wanted to.
I guess they are after market, they don't have the hole for the shim spring,they were on when I bought the car, so what then are the options if the aftermarket brakes continue to squeal, just replace with the factory from lexus?

thanks
jon
Old 09-01-08, 11:43 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hcfarm
I guess they are after market, they don't have the hole for the shim spring,they were on when I bought the car, so what then are the options if the aftermarket brakes continue to squeal, just replace with the factory from lexus?

thanks
jon
That would be one option. If you decide to go that route, you can order them online from a Lexus dealer that discounts like irontoad. If you do go back to Lexus pads you will also have to order shims for all the pads and the wear indicator for the one front pad that uses it. Lexus front pads come without a wear indicator. It is a little spring clip that you move over from the old factory pads. The Lexus rear pads have the indicator built in.
Lexus factory pads are good quality ceramic pads made by Akebono. I used them when I did my first brake job at about 70K. My next brake job at about 120K I used Raybestos Quiet Stop ceramic pads. At this point I no longer needed the shims. They seem equally as good.
Buying Akebono aftermarket pads from a discounter like Rock Auto would be another option. They have the wear indicator built in and I don't believe they use the shims. A quick call to a supplier should verify this.
Being that you have new pads, you may want to try some of that squeel stop spray stuff before buying new pads. It is made for pads without shims only and it works more like a glue between the back of the pad and the brake caliper piston.
Old 09-01-08, 07:24 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikey00
That would be one option. If you decide to go that route, you can order them online from a Lexus dealer that discounts like irontoad. If you do go back to Lexus pads you will also have to order shims for all the pads and the wear indicator for the one front pad that uses it. Lexus front pads come without a wear indicator. It is a little spring clip that you move over from the old factory pads. The Lexus rear pads have the indicator built in.
Lexus factory pads are good quality ceramic pads made by Akebono. I used them when I did my first brake job at about 70K. My next brake job at about 120K I used Raybestos Quiet Stop ceramic pads. At this point I no longer needed the shims. They seem equally as good.
Buying Akebono aftermarket pads from a discounter like Rock Auto would be another option. They have the wear indicator built in and I don't believe they use the shims. A quick call to a supplier should verify this.
Being that you have new pads, you may want to try some of that squeel stop spray stuff before buying new pads. It is made for pads without shims only and it works more like a glue between the back of the pad and the brake caliper piston.
thanks mikey for reply, I will look at the spray, and then if that doesn't work, I will look into the ceramics pads, because this noise is trying my patience...thanks for the info, it will save me time and some money from buying the wrong type..
very much appreciated.

jon
Old 09-02-08, 09:21 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I know I'll catch some crap for this, but I have been using Autozone's ceramic pads for a while now and I really like them. The shims are already attached to the pads. I don't have those springs either. I just did them for a second time with new Autozone rotors and they look like quality parts and feel great. I used the grease where that PDF calls for it and have had no rattles, squeaks, squeals, etc. They feel awesome and don't seem to make too much dust. With 2 rotors and new pads you are out the door for less than $100 and have free replacement pads forever. Flame away.
Old 09-03-08, 08:39 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Originally Posted by carguy07
I know I'll catch some crap for this, but I have been using Autozone's ceramic pads for a while now and I really like them. The shims are already attached to the pads. I don't have those springs either. I just did them for a second time with new Autozone rotors and they look like quality parts and feel great. I used the grease where that PDF calls for it and have had no rattles, squeaks, squeals, etc. They feel awesome and don't seem to make too much dust. With 2 rotors and new pads you are out the door for less than $100 and have free replacement pads forever. Flame away.
now that is the kind of pricing that I will definitely look into, I have a autozone about 12 miles from here..flaming???? I don't think so, we should all be able to post our opinions.

we all have our preferences and that is ok, but sometimes you need to know what is available, when the money is crunched.. and I just got back from evacuting from the hurricane and my money is tight...

thanks very much for stepping out with this information, it is very appreciated,,you have been a great help to me personally.

thank you for the PM too., you have helped me more than you know..

jon