RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

90k Service - Ripped off or decent

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 06:51 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Love Target

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Hmm... I think Michelin blade usually sells for $15-$18 each at Target. So maybe I'll have to wait for the next sale.
My wife and I love Target. They're not your "Pepboys" or generic autoparts place that just holds inventory all year round at the same price, because needs to clear the racks and bring in "current" product. It's strange, because they'll clearance out the blades for $4 each, then stock up again with Michelins that look exactly the same, but are packaged with the "new look" and back up to $15. I find that they usually go on sale around late Sept. to Oct. just before the snow comes, when the "new style" packagings come out. They'll go from $15 to $12, then to $9, and finally go rock bottom at $4. You have to be careful about when to buy, because you might have to "upgrade" to a bigger size when it comes to the $4 mark because the more popular sizes are usually gone by then.
Old 09-02-08, 02:49 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by titogreggy
im at about 88400 right now nearing the 90k. is that what im should be expecting to pay? yikes!
i just did fuel induction/system cleaning for 59.99 at spee dee. ( i gained almost 2 mpgs with no changes in driving habits)
oil change / filter for 29.99 regular pennsoil
front brake pads and rotors re surface 349.99
(didn't need to change the rear ones)
asked my service consultant and said that I can go to 100k with my timing belt. Should i believe him or just change it..
flushing the trannsmission fluild and radiator is up next...
I don't think it would hurt to wait to 100k if you are trying to squeeze every penny out of your Lex. I did it at 90k cause I figured I'd have to do it sooner or later and at 90k, you're not too far from 100k. It's about the peace of mind for me. After getting the Lex tuned up, I noticed the car is even more silky smooth.
Old 09-03-08, 11:03 AM
Francis
Pole Position

I paid $1.5k for the 90k service at Longo Lexus So.Ca.
Old 09-09-08, 02:10 PM
Exit74
Driver School Candidate

Ok, new to the forum as i jsut bought an 01 rx 300 with 90k on the clock. Car is in great shape, and indy prebuy inspection said the same thing. After reading alot of posts, i have taken that the timing belt change is not neccesarily mandatory at 90k but recommended. Is there a way to inspect the belt to see if its needed to replace or is it something that looks fine one day and could fail the next? Also, i have heard that the water pump should be done with the belt. Any savings by just replacing the water pump and not belt or vice versa. I was quoted around 1800 at lexus, 1300 at specialized foriegn indy and 1100 by a popular chain shop, all included belt, pump, thermostat, coils, plugs, filters and oil change. My main concern aside from any sludge issue is the tranny. I would want to ask the shop to also drain and flush the tranny fluid and replace with the same stuff right?

Also further to my above concern, what are some of your subjective opinions on how pervasive the tranny issue is and whether is is worth investing in an extended warranty. Ive never been a fan of these but have heard more then a few horror stories of the tranny failing after 90k without warning. I would not be able to absorb a 3-5k hit and paying 1-2k for warranty out to 2years/30k might make sense if the risk of failure is say, i dunno, above 20%? I would think statistically, defects such as these are not nearly as big a problem as car forums make to be but i thought that of the oil gel problem and found out that to be much larger in scope(and involved in many other auto makers)

thanks for any and all opinions
john
Old 09-09-08, 03:24 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

John,

Welcome to ClubLexus.

The plugs aren't due for replacement until 120,000 miles, and the coils should only be replaced as needed, in my opinion. The same with the thermostat.

There are quite a few people who have written that only the timing belt and drive belts (alternator, water pump) should be replaced at 90,000 miles, if they haven't been replaced before. Others replace the water pump and idler pulley (and other parts too), just because it doesn't add labor and they may go in the future. Still others will inspect them and decide based upon how they look (when things are apart).

As you will see if you search this topic, the main reason to do the timing belt at 90,000 miles is not that it won't last longer,, but that it can cause major damage if it were to break.

I don't think you can expect a non-Lexus/Toyota service center to have Toyota Type IV transmission fluid in stock. I'd be very worried that they would put in the wrong fluid and cause major problems. You mention drain-and-refill and flush in the same sentence. There is a difference.

I'd be inclined to use a Lexus/Toyota dealer for service, or an independent who specializes in Lexus/Toyota.

Regarding the warranty, I think a major factor is what you know about the car's history. If you don't know anything about the car's ownership/service history, I guess I'd be concerned. If you have a spotless service history, I'd feel pretty good.
Old 09-21-08, 10:29 AM
ANYTIME
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The following story is true. The names have been changed to protect the innnocent.
I paid 450 for the timing belt change, waterpump, trans flush and radiator flush. It was a lexus or a toyota dealer (could or could not be in california), it was cash and that's all I'm sayin'.......... schwing!!!!
Old 09-21-08, 01:38 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 324 Likes on 282 Posts

Well, I don't really know what you're trying to say but that's not something any ordinary person could get at a Lexus (or Toyota) Dealer. My Lexus dealer will somettimes come down 10-20% if I haggle hard with them but the work you just quoted would still cost me twice what you paid (or more).

Old 09-21-08, 02:06 PM
cgarofalo1
Driver School Candidate

Default wow

I thought I got a good deal paying 900 for all that!
Old 09-21-08, 02:26 PM
chenxingha
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The MotorWeek TV show some time ago had a couple of minutes on blades. The man said and showed that typical blades can last for a couple of years, with some care. The method he introduced is first clean the blades, then drop some silicon greas on a clean cloth and wipe it on the blade surface that "sctraches" the windshield glass, and then use a clean cloth to clean the blade again.

The silicon greas helps smooth the contact between the blade and the glass and also preventing particles getting into the rubber edge of the blade. The man said that the blade is still usable as long as the first tier of the blade can bounce on the contact with glass. The silicon greas also helps the blade edge from "aging".

I got a small tube of silicon greas from AutoZone several weeks ago and applied it to the blades. Not enough time for proof just yet.
Old 09-21-08, 08:00 PM
ANYTIME
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, plain english then. I got a great deal that employees usually get by paying cash. YMMV

PS: I was being vague on purpose!

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, I don't really know what you're trying to say but that's not something any ordinary person could get at a Lexus (or Toyota) Dealer. My Lexus dealer will somettimes come down 10-20% if I haggle hard with them but the work you just quoted would still cost me twice what you paid (or more).

Old 10-20-08, 06:48 AM
rosenhamer
Driver School Candidate

Default Toyota dealers for service

I just had the timing belt replaced on my wife's 01 and was surprised to find that the Toyota dealer was the best deal, even over independent mechanics (well, I wasn't surprised that they were cheaper than the Lexus dealer). The Lexus dealer quoted $700 dollars for the timing belt, the Toyota dealer... $299. Anyone have any insight as to why there would be such a discrepancy in prices between the two dealers? Is it simply a confirmation of the statement I once heard that 'the only reason to go to the Lexus dealer is if you enjoy overpaying for service'?
Old 10-20-08, 07:52 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 324 Likes on 282 Posts

Intersting. My local Toyota dealer advertises "Timing Belt Change, from $229" (italics mine) but when I called them about a 2001 highlander, they wanted $500! So I'm guessing it would be the same for my 1999 RX300.
Old 10-20-08, 09:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenhamer
I just had the timing belt replaced on my wife's 01 and was surprised to find that the Toyota dealer was the best deal, even over independent mechanics (well, I wasn't surprised that they were cheaper than the Lexus dealer). The Lexus dealer quoted $700 dollars for the timing belt, the Toyota dealer... $299. Anyone have any insight as to why there would be such a discrepancy in prices between the two dealers? Is it simply a confirmation of the statement I once heard that 'the only reason to go to the Lexus dealer is if you enjoy overpaying for service'?
Welcome to the Club.

It's been noticed for many years now that there can be this discrepancy. But we have had the direct reports that sometimes Lexus owners are turned away from Toyota dealers, especially when a local group owns both the local Toyota and Lexus dealer. I would hope in this economy, they'd take what ever business they can get.