RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Another transmission failure?................

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 03:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Normal wear is normally a fine gray silt.Of course all transmissions will have a some what different style as to their wear.
That's right, that's what a lot of us get, see this old thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224882

However, I think a few times I remember having a bit more accumulation when I did some ATF changes before this thread I just linked, when I used to go longer on my changeouts.
Old 02-10-09, 11:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gmann
So here's the question to you more experienced transmission guys.............is the amount of metal filings that you see considered "normal" for 8 years worth of driving without ever changing the filter but with doing drain and fills? (not complete flushes).
gmann,how is your trans.holding up?
Old 02-10-09, 01:15 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
HarrierAWD - why so???
LOL, didn't see this until several months later. Sorry for the late reply.

Tranny flush - A good way to dislodge debris in the tranny
Cleaner/solvent - See above
Dexron 3 - Not the right fluid. Use Toyota Type-IV
BG shift additive - Might as well put in soy sauce

It's not hard to maintain a Toyota tranny. For most drivers, a 4 qt. drain-n-fill every 30K miles will do. I personally do it every 10K due to my circumstances.
Old 02-10-09, 06:50 PM
gmann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transmission is running fine with 104K miles on it. Hope she lasts another 100K......Actually just picked up a 05 Odyssey EXL with NAV and DVD and have to say that it's a pretty sweet ride. Even has voice command so I can turn on the radio, change the temp and input addresses in the NAV w/o ever taking my hands off the steering wheel.

~g
Old 02-11-09, 12:01 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gmann
Transmission is running fine with 104K miles on it. Hope she lasts another 100K......Actually just picked up a 05 Odyssey EXL with NAV and DVD and have to say that it's a pretty sweet ride. Even has voice command so I can turn on the radio, change the temp and input addresses in the NAV w/o ever taking my hands off the steering wheel.

~g
An Odyssey,thats a mini-van right?
Old 02-11-09, 12:35 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Yes, with a voice recognition system that smokes Lexus!

Old 02-11-09, 12:54 PM
gmann
Driver School Candidate

LOL.....I prefer to call it a Man-Van.

I needed something a little bigger to carry ppl and loads so we decided to get the Odyssey. I have to change the transmission fluid on that as well now and the Honda ATF fluid is about $6-$8 a quart. Need to buy a case of it as they recommend 3 drain and fills for a complete change. Still have the RX300 though.
Old 02-11-09, 01:31 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

We got a Odyssey and I have to say it's pretty impressive. Decently fast for a "man-van"
Old 10-02-09, 03:07 PM
gmann
Driver School Candidate

Default Update: Transmission failure !!!!!!!!

OK...transmission has finally gone bad.

Currently at 109K miles. Truck will not move, so I took removed the transmission pan and it looks pretty bad.

Attached are some pictures of what I found in the pan.......

I think I will need a rebuild. Currently the truck is sitting in my driveway while I contemplate my next move.

Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Another transmission failure?................-picture-ipod-taken-097.jpg   Another transmission failure?................-picture-ipod-taken-106.jpg   Another transmission failure?................-picture-ipod-taken-083.jpg   Another transmission failure?................-picture-ipod-taken-129.jpg   Another transmission failure?................-picture-ipod-taken-081.jpg  

Old 10-16-09, 12:07 AM
LastQuark
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see metal fragments there ouch!

I have the same problem with my 1999 RX300. I only have 50,000 miles in it. The car is parked in the garage but it does not go into reverse. As I press the gas, it seems like it is in neutral. It can move forward though.

After doing some research, I switched the 2 speed sensors located at the bottom of the air filter. Nothing happened. Then, I replaced both of them with new once I purchased from the local dealer. Nothing happened! Bummer, $280 gone right there.

From the message thread, simply opening up the pan, drain, and replacing the filter will get the transmission engaged again. Am I understanding it correctly? I'm curious how can that happen? Does it mean there is no ATF
flowing to the gears and prevents it from engaging? This morning, I checked the ATF in the dipstick and the color is purplish. The oil level is about 1 inch above the hot level notch so there is a lot of oil in there.

I am planning to drop the pan and replace the filter over the weekend but I rather not do it if it will not, at least, help engage the reverse gear.

By the way, I had the dealer replace the ATF last year after I started hearing some whining sound after driving the SUV for about 5 minutes every time. The dealer (Stevens Creek Lexus of Santa Clara, CA) says that, to eliminate the noise, they will have to replace the tranny and it will cost me $9,000(!!!). Just the thought of spending this amount in this economy is a torture to me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-09, 12:52 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

"simply opening up the pan, drain, and replacing the filter will get the transmission engaged again. Am I understanding it correctly?"

Not likely unless the filter is so plugged that it can not draw any fluid and if that was the case you could not go forward either.

"The oil level is about 1 inch above the hot level notch so there is a lot of oil in there."

Did the dealer overfill it? With time that could kill it all by itself.

"and it will cost me $9,000"

Go to a different dealer, highest price I have ever heard in my life!
Old 10-16-09, 09:53 AM
LastQuark
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
Did the dealer overfill it? With time that could kill it all by itself.
I checked the dipstick after the dealer changed the ATF last year. It is within the cold/hot notch marks. It is surprising to me that the fluid level just rise up without adding any fluid. I decided to take my chances and drop the pan tomorrow.

I'll post updates and share pictures.
Old 10-16-09, 08:20 PM
gmann
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LastQuark
I can see metal fragments there ouch!

I have the same problem with my 1999 RX300. I only have 50,000 miles in it. The car is parked in the garage but it does not go into reverse. As I press the gas, it seems like it is in neutral. It can move forward though.

After doing some research, I switched the 2 speed sensors located at the bottom of the air filter. Nothing happened. Then, I replaced both of them with new once I purchased from the local dealer. Nothing happened! Bummer, $280 gone right there.

From the message thread, simply opening up the pan, drain, and replacing the filter will get the transmission engaged again. Am I understanding it correctly? I'm curious how can that happen? Does it mean there is no ATF
flowing to the gears and prevents it from engaging? This morning, I checked the ATF in the dipstick and the color is purplish. The oil level is about 1 inch above the hot level notch so there is a lot of oil in there.

I am planning to drop the pan and replace the filter over the weekend but I rather not do it if it will not, at least, help engage the reverse gear.

By the way, I had the dealer replace the ATF last year after I started hearing some whining sound after driving the SUV for about 5 minutes every time. The dealer (Stevens Creek Lexus of Santa Clara, CA) says that, to eliminate the noise, they will have to replace the tranny and it will cost me $9,000(!!!). Just the thought of spending this amount in this economy is a torture to me.

Thanks in advance.
Looking back I think in my case the transmission was on it's way out. When I changed the filter it got me going again as it was clogged due to all the metal fragments/filings but the fix lasted me only another 10K miles.

I called Lexus Corporate to see if they would do anything and they told me that I would have to have the dealer look at it first. I called the dealer and from my conversation with the service rep, unless I have had regular maintenace with Lexus service, I have no chance of any good will. Both Corporate and the dealer acted like this was the first time they heard about a transmission on a RX300 go bad. Not too happy with Lexus, seriously doubt I will ever buy another Lexus again........
Old 10-16-09, 09:23 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

There is the key, You have to have all service done by Lexus, or you dont exist as a customer.....Sad, but true, that is there support for us that do the service, but choice not to have Lexus do it....You have to pad their pockets in order for them to recognize the loyalty to their product.....
Old 10-17-09, 07:37 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thomas1
There is the key, You have to have all service done by Lexus, or you dont exist as a customer.....Sad, but true, that is there support for us that do the service, but choice not to have Lexus do it....You have to pad their pockets in order for them to recognize the loyalty to their product.....
Yep,that sounds about right!!

Quick Reply: Another transmission failure?................