RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Another transmission failure?................

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 08:27 PM
gmann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another transmission failure?................

Just got back from a 1000+ mile trip and as soon as I got within 50 miles from home my transmission started acting up. When I hit the accelerator from a stop the transmission would slip badly before finally catching and the truck moving.

Pulled up to my driveway and tried backing up and the transmission would not want to go up the driveway, after many tries was finally able to get up the slightly inclined driveway.

Unloaded my gear from the truck and took it for a spin around the block and the transmission is definitely slipping.

It's a 2000 Rx300 AWD with 97K on the clock. I'm hoping it's not but think it's the dreaded transmission issue.

Sucks cause I've done a transmission fluid drain and fill every year since I bought the truck with 30K miles about 5 years ago using only Toyota Type IV fluid.

I need to start thinking about my options but am tired from the long drive home.

Worst case senario if I need to replace the transmission, does anyone know of a good transmission shop/rebuilder near Alpharetta/Duluth Georgia?

Someone that they've dealt with and is reputable.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-08, 06:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I'd drop the pan and also clean out(if it is wire mesh)/change out the filter(if it is the paper one). A similar issue occurs to what you are experiencing if there is any sort of blockage behind the filter or fluid level is low. At least if you drop the pan, you will be able to see if there are any metal bits in the pan.
Old 09-02-08, 07:05 AM
gmann
Driver School Candidate

Good idea........Thanks for your reply.

I'll give that a try over the weekend and let you know what happens.

I'm just hoping that the transmission isn't fried and I need a rebuild but with everything I've read on this forum, I'm thinking that's what it might end up being.
Old 09-04-08, 05:07 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gmann
Sucks cause I've done a transmission fluid drain and fill every year since I bought the truck with 30K miles about 5 years ago using only Toyota Type IV fluid.
Interesting,
where was the service done? Lexus/ Toyota dealer or independant?

I would think you have great ground to stand on if the trani has been that meticulously maintained.

That was my saving grace when my trani went south (no pun LEXMEX). Even out of warranty Lexus Canada honoured 1/2 of the trani rebuild price... Mind you the local Toyota dealership probably charged me double what a trani shop would have charged anyway!

The moral of the story, my trani symptoms were not the conventional slip and jerk you normally get from a failing trani. Mine was a missaligned washer in the trani which caused a clunk when shifting from D-P, P-R, etc....

Good luck gmann and keep us posted on the nature of your problem.
Old 09-05-08, 02:59 AM
RA073123
Rookie

my 90k is coming up and need to flush the tranny.. lexus quoted me 160 to do it.. is that worth it?
Old 09-05-08, 05:13 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by titogreggy
my 90k is coming up and need to flush the tranny..
This has been discussed many times in the past. Do you mean a flush or a drain-and-refill? I think many people here on the forum think that a flush is risky (because of the risk of dislodging debris/gunk) and the way to go is periodic drain-and-refills.
Old 09-05-08, 06:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I talked to my local Lee Miles transmission shop here,(he is in the service station where I get my Gas)anyway,he stated that a lot of times they tear them down,and only need to replace certain parts.And that keeps the price down,why rebuild the whole unit if it is not needed? Now I agree with that as long as everything else is in good shape.
Old 09-05-08, 06:50 AM
gmann
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your replies guys.

bob2200: I've done a drain and fill every year, not a complete flush, each year since I've purchased.

Fern: The only problem I have with contacting Lexus and asking for goodwill, it that all the service to the car I've done on my own. I do have a liitle maintenance book with the dates and mileage of when the service was done. I can probably match the the dates of the service with receipts from either the Toyota or Lexus dealer for the purchase of the type IV fluid, but that's all I have.

The only reason I haven't pushed it with Lexus for goodwill is that from what I've read it will prob cost me double at the dealer to rebuld the tran, if it comes to that. Even if they gave me 50% goodwill, bottom line it will cost me about the same out of pocket if I went to a reasonably priced independent shop.

BTW, I stopped by the dealer today and picked up the filter (paper/felt strainer not the wire mesh BTW), gasket and fluid to try and tacke the job over the weekend. I explained my situation to the parts guy and he said to speak to the service rep for a possibility of goodwill, but he said that most of the times it depends on how important they feel you are as a customer (which means how many cars you've purchased from them in the past and how many more they think they can sell to you in the future).

I've read some other posts and it seems like that sometimes a filter and fluid change sometime solves the problem. I test drove it the other day and it sort of seems like the transmission is starved for fluid, even though the dipstick shows full. So I'm hoping maybe the filter has some blockage.

I did some poking around on the internet and came across this which is a great read......

http://www.toyotechs.com/autologic-n...ssion-failure/

Hopefull I'll have enough time over the weekend to change the filter and fluid.

I'll post and let you know what happens when I do.
Old 09-05-08, 08:42 AM
gmann
Driver School Candidate

Lexus114: I definitely agree that if possible, just repair/replace what's broken but many times the problem is.......unless the transmission shop/mechanic is highly ethical (and not to say that they are not), it doesn't pay for them to replace/fix just what's broken. I'm a little mechanically inclined but when it come to transmissions I wouldn't know what's what. From past experiences, once they put it on the lift and take it apart you're at their mercy. Sound's like your Lee Myles guy is pretty reputable which was the reason for my first post. I'm hoping to find someone who won't take me for a ride.
Old 09-05-08, 08:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your replies guys.

bob2200: I've done a drain and fill every year, not a complete flush, each year since I've purchased.

Fern: The only problem I have with contacting Lexus and asking for goodwill, it that all the service to the car I've done on my own. I do have a liitle maintenance book with the dates and mileage of when the service was done. I can probably match the the dates of the service with receipts from either the Toyota or Lexus dealer for the purchase of the type IV fluid, but that's all I have.

The only reason I haven't pushed it with Lexus for goodwill is that from what I've read it will prob cost me double at the dealer to rebuld the tran, if it comes to that. Even if they gave me 50% goodwill, bottom line it will cost me about the same out of pocket if I went to a reasonably priced independent shop.

BTW, I stopped by the dealer today and picked up the filter (paper/felt strainer not the wire mesh BTW), gasket and fluid to try and tacke the job over the weekend. I explained my situation to the parts guy and he said to speak to the service rep for a possibility of goodwill, but he said that most of the times it depends on how important they feel you are as a customer (which means how many cars you've purchased from them in the past and how many more they think they can sell to you in the future).

I've read some other posts and it seems like that sometimes a filter and fluid change sometime solves the problem. I test drove it the other day and it sort of seems like the transmission is starved for fluid, even though the dipstick shows full. So I'm hoping maybe the filter has some blockage.

I did some poking around on the internet and came across this which is a great read......

http://www.toyotechs.com/autologic-n...ssion-failure/

Hopefull I'll have enough time over the weekend to change the filter and fluid.

I'll post and let you know what happens when I do.
gmann,sounds like the tech is contradicting how we feel about drain and refills.
Old 09-05-08, 10:31 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I talked to my local Lee Miles transmission shop here,(he is in the service station where I get my Gas)anyway,he stated that a lot of times they tear them down,and only need to replace certain parts.And that keeps the price down,why rebuild the whole unit if it is not needed? Now I agree with that as long as everything else is in good shape.
I think that's what they are taught to say in "Lee Miles Transmission College". I have never heard of one coming apart that did not get a full rebuild. Hey, come to think of it, that's what my guy said too. $3400 later he was done.
Old 09-05-08, 10:36 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
Interesting,
where was the service done? Lexus/ Toyota dealer or independant?

I would think you have great ground to stand on if the trani has been that meticulously maintained.

That was my saving grace when my trani went south (no pun LEXMEX). Even out of warranty Lexus Canada honoured 1/2 of the trani rebuild price... Mind you the local Toyota dealership probably charged me double what a trani shop would have charged anyway!

The moral of the story, my trani symptoms were not the conventional slip and jerk you normally get from a failing trani. Mine was a missaligned washer in the trani which caused a clunk when shifting from D-P, P-R, etc....

Good luck gmann and keep us posted on the nature of your problem.
Only problem is Lexus transmission goodwill is typically 50%. They are currently getting 6K to install a rebuilt transmission. So the price comes down to about what you would pay at a good transmission shop. Also the rebuilt transmissions Lexus is using don't have a very good track record.
Old 09-05-08, 10:44 AM
gmann
Driver School Candidate

Mikey00: Yeah, that's why I haven't aggressively pursued anything with Lexus. To go through the hassle of calling them up and go through all that red tape, having the dealer check it out.........only for them to give me 50% on double what it would cost me at an independent shop is not worth the hassle.

Hopefully the filter and fluid change will make it better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Funny thing, I was reading your posts on your experience with your transmission when it happed and now the exact same thing has happened to me. Seems more then just a coincidence. I think there is definitely a weak link with these transmissions.
Old 09-05-08, 10:51 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Mikey00: Yeah, that's why I haven't aggressively pursued anything with Lexus. To go through the hassle of calling them up and go through all that red tape, having the dealer check it out.........only for them to give me 50% on double what it would cost me at an independent shop is not worth the hassle.

Hopefully the filter and fluid change will make it better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Funny thing, I was reading your posts on your experience with your transmission when it happed and now the exact same thing has happened to me. Seems more then just a coincidence. I think there is definitely a weak link with these transmissions.
Definitely, Now if we could just get Toyota/Lexus to face the music,so to speak.
Old 09-05-08, 11:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikey00
I think that's what they are taught to say in "Lee Miles Transmission College". I have never heard of one coming apart that did not get a full rebuild. Hey, come to think of it, that's what my guy said too. $3400 later he was done.
I know,it does seem that way.I am still not totally sure which shop I will got to when the inevitable happens.I would love it if their were shift kit`s available for these trannies!!.That would soooo improve these things.But the negative affects wouldnt be worth it I guess.

Last edited by lexus114; 09-05-08 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Another transmission failure?................