RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY Removing Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 06:20 PM
theasianef
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Removing Transmission

Hey everyone, i originally signed up for this site to find information on my IS300 but I need some help with my 1999 RX300.

Can anyone lead me to a link or a page that has a DIY guide to removing the transmission? I did the search bar and nothing came up. Any help would be great. TIA.
Old 09-09-08, 11:57 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by theasianef
Hey everyone, i originally signed up for this site to find information on my IS300 but I need some help with my 1999 RX300.

Can anyone lead me to a link or a page that has a DIY guide to removing the transmission? I did the search bar and nothing came up. Any help would be great. TIA.
A little more information is needed. FWD or AWD? Do you have the equipment to do the removal? What is the reason you're wanting to remove it? Maybe we can help you if we know a little more about it.
Old 09-10-08, 03:47 AM
theasianef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
A little more information is needed. FWD or AWD? Do you have the equipment to do the removal? What is the reason you're wanting to remove it? Maybe we can help you if we know a little more about it.
awd, replacing it due to the old one dropped.
Old 09-10-08, 06:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

here is a link I found that may help you http://highlanderclub.ru/files/manua...2f/x040001.pdf.
Old 09-11-08, 12:18 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by theasianef
awd, replacing it due to the old one dropped.
Good find lexus114- straight from the Toyota manual, unfortunately it doesn't tell you how to get the trans. out of the car. I removed the whole front drive unit from my DIL's RX by disconnecting everything and lifting the car up away from the drive unit- but you shouldn't have to do that. I believe in a Toyota/ Lexus shop they suspend the engine and drop the drivers side down enough that you can get the trans. to clear the frame rail. They do have equipment that most individuals wouldn't have though. (the reason I did it the way I did it). I strongly suggest you consider replacing your rear main seal while you have the transmission out. It doesn't cost much and is a piece of cake while you're in there. The original design was problematic and often leaked resulting in an expensive repair. Only costs about $15. and is easy to change with the trans. out. There should be writeups on this either here or the other Lexus forum. If at first you don't succeed, try searching a little different way. The info. is often there but you just have to find the way IT wants you to unlock the door to that information.
Old 09-11-08, 07:10 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Good find lexus114- straight from the Toyota manual, unfortunately it doesn't tell you how to get the trans. out of the car. I removed the whole front drive unit from my DIL's RX by disconnecting everything and lifting the car up away from the drive unit- but you shouldn't have to do that. I believe in a Toyota/ Lexus shop they suspend the engine and drop the drivers side down enough that you can get the trans. to clear the frame rail. They do have equipment that most individuals wouldn't have though. (the reason I did it the way I did it). I strongly suggest you consider replacing your rear main seal while you have the transmission out. It doesn't cost much and is a piece of cake while you're in there. The original design was problematic and often leaked resulting in an expensive repair. Only costs about $15. and is easy to change with the trans. out. There should be writeups on this either here or the other Lexus forum. If at first you don't succeed, try searching a little different way. The info. is often there but you just have to find the way IT wants you to unlock the door to that information.
DOOOOHHHHH!!!,Sorry about that.
Old 09-11-08, 05:54 PM
MiniTubbed
Driver School Candidate

i would get it as highe a possible with some 6 or 12 ton jack stands under the pinch weld or frame. then get a overhead craddle, to hold engine. then you disconnect lower balljoints, axles, starter comes out along with all the junk on top to get to stuff. remove the drive shaft. basicly you will have just the trans bellhousing bolts broken loose and the mounts for engine that coonect engine to craddle on underside. and trans mounts. then supoort engione and trans with the top craddle undo the mounts between motor and trans and craddle under car. drop craddle a little to get to rack ( it has some give) undo from craddle only. then drop the craddle with lower control arms. move out it out of way. get like a floor trans jack or a modified floor jack with good mount. then support trans undo torque converter bolts, and undo all bellhousing bolts, and drop trans out of bottom. the engine will still have dog bone mount and the craddle with a least two chains in differnt places to hold it. the just do oppisite, but sometimes its easer to lay craddle around trans jack when going back in becasue when you have most of the bell hosung bolts you can still be under car and lift craddle and attach the four bolts that way you can manuver the engine trans combo to get the mounts lined up easeir. then its just a reverse.

wow. that was tiresome. hope that helps.
Old 09-11-08, 06:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I'd strongly advise that if you are going to do this to buy the service manual. I have done this particular thing in Mexico, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=320390 and it basically involves removing the lower exhaust piping going underneath the vehicle, the driver's side wheel and axle, the whole lower suspension frame. This is not by any stretch of the imagination easy and took us several hours to do this (we'd probably be a bit faster now if we had to do it again), but it does involve some careful step-by-step processes (especially keeping the bolts in separate buckets). And if I didn't mention it, that transmission weighs a ton. It's a PITA even for 2 people.