RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New member, Few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-08 | 05:35 PM
MiniTubbed
Driver School Candidate

Default New member, Few ?s

I am looking at buying a 2000 rx300. its a car customer never picked up so we put a lien on it. (i work a goodyear and go to college and 18 yrs old.) I can get it for dirt cheap <1500. It just real dirty on the inside from the guys kids. well i have a few questions. but i used to work a a toyota dealer for 1.5 years co-oping. when you start car it idles fine on fast idle. but if you hit throttle it almost seems to break up and want to die and it will catch its self. but if you get it past the first stall on accelleration it does fine. once it gets warm and driven a little it drives normal.

the trans fluid is a little dirty, which i will change with the filter but other then droping pan and looking for metal flakes and material is there a way to see if trans is going. i hear they have a habit to blow trans, it awd by the way.

now to not so crutial things. the radio works and all the funtions but it won't let me select "CD" and if i hit eject on the thing on in the glove box it makes a normal disk unloading sound but the cartridge doesn't come out. it looks to have stuff built up on it (most likely from the kids) but i doupt it has cds in it. so if it doesnt have cds on cartridge will anything happen when you press "cd". how much is it for those cd things in glove box as a whole. and is there anyway other then to make own harness and put aftermarket hu in glove box or whatever to have aux inputs and a hu.

i only have the masster key how much is it to get a new one (the whole thing cut and all) with out it programed. i can do that, but do i also have to program it for the keyless entry. also how do you get the windows to roll up thru the remote. i got them to go down but i cant figure how to get them to go up by locking it.

how much is the flex pipe, can i use a highlander one. i can weld and all, can i use a genric one.

has any one taken them on the beach, like not daytona but like north caronlina and delaware or jersey. the real soft kind.

the antenna is broken off, which is the best way to fix it. i dont like the look of the big mast, can i put a shorty on there, or can i put a "BMW" stle fin on the roof, and how do i plug it in. does the connection in the front or at the motor for anntenna.

what other common things go wrong. its just needs some tlc but im getting a great deal (and legal) so it am willing to put some money to get a newer and better looking and driving car then my 93 camry.
Old 09-12-08 | 07:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Club, I noticed a few other posts from you already...good to see you are enjoying the forum.

That first thing you mentioned is probably something related to the IACV valve. You can do a search and you will find this mentioned, there is also a sticky about gas mileage at the top of the forum that has some posts about this.

What color is the ATF fluid and what smell does it have?

The audio thing, I'll have to take a pass on, it's actually not my strong point with this vehicle and there are others here with light years more experience on that. Same goes for the key, as last time I did that it was about $250 USD but that included two other valet keys all programmed at the dealer.

Flex pipe costs a fortune. Best advice is to have a muffler shop weld a new piece in it's place or seal up the leak (my uncle did the latter before I eventually went with an enlarged pipe from the manifold all the way to the muffler).

There are a few people who have taken them to the beach. I have even seen a few youtube videos of people on sand with an RX300.
Old 09-12-08 | 08:19 AM
MiniTubbed
Driver School Candidate

i have quite a bit of experinace with automotive. i belong to quite a bit of forums and they are always helpful. so since toyotanation (ive been a memeber since like 05) could help much with the rex as i call it, i did some googleing and found this site. it pretty cool. and lexmex i read your whole car domain. pretty intresting.

the fluid was dark, but it didn't smeel one bit burn't, so im hoping it just needs to be changed. but if i do need a tranny i will do it since the car is a steal. i just want to know since i still have the camry it will be easier then driving the race car for a little bit.

yeah i just didn't know if a aftermasrket flex pipe will hurt the car meaning codes and what not. its just a pin hole in flex pipe i might put a tack on it to see if that works. i think the cd changer cartridge is in backwards. the direction on how to put the disk is facing out, all the pic i see have the lexus sticking out. i might try to get it out if not i will have to get a new one.
Old 09-12-08 | 09:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I have had to do so many spot welds on my exhaust including when I got to Florida this spring, but that flex pipe can and will go bad. My uncle needed some extra metal in order to originally seal it up.

The fluid being dark is not as bad as having it silvery/pinkish. I had that about 5 years ago or so and had the transmission flushed out at a Lexus dealer, but now do drain and fills with Amsoil ATF. Generally, I recommend people to drain and fill the the transmission (both the front differential and transmission pan) once a week over the course of 3 weeks and to do a drain and fill at least once every 15K miles. We have a wide range of opinions on this subject and I respect them all on this subject since we drive our RX300s differently and also live in different areas. TunedRX300 has the best way to do the drain and fill properly and that particular thread is stickied at the top of the RX300 forums.

I actually worry more about the transmission than I do the oil in this vehicle, despite what you hear about oil sludge. You will find that many people here use something other than Mobil 1. We have some Amsoil fans, some Pennzoil Platinum fans, Royal Purple, etc. My personal favorite is the German Castrol 0W30 that can be found at Pep Boys or primarily at Autozone.

I have great respect for your 1970 Nova. We had many a Nova from that era at my 1/4 mile track back in Mexico. Although not of the same era, I have a special place in my heart for those vehicles as my father was the proud owner of a 1979 modified Nova for many years.
Old 09-12-08 | 09:19 AM
MiniTubbed
Driver School Candidate

cool its more like black then silvery or pink.
Old 09-12-08 | 09:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MiniTubbed
cool its more like black then silvery or pink.
Then that's just old oil, but it still needs changing. I've known quite a few people in this forum over the years who have gotten to the point its black.
Old 09-12-08 | 09:57 AM
aleksg
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=MiniTubbed;3830111]I am looking at buying a 2000 rx300. its a car customer never picked up so we put a lien on it. (i work a goodyear and go to college and 18 yrs old.) I can get it for dirt cheap <1500. It just real dirty on the inside from the guys kids. well i have a few questions. but i used to work a a toyota dealer for 1.5 years co-oping. when you start car it idles fine on fast idle. but if you hit throttle it almost seems to break up and want to die and it will catch its self. but if you get it past the first stall on accelleration it does fine. once it gets warm and driven a little it drives normal.

That just sounds so similar to my problem . I ended up changing everything from fuel pump filters plugs etc. Turns out two of the injectors were clogged from long sitting by the docks.
Old 09-12-08 | 02:46 PM
MiniTubbed
Driver School Candidate

cool i have about 4 injectors for that motor that got pulled out at my job. is there anyway to test them without scan tool. i mean backyard style im used to the tough book TIS system. if i have to i will go back and try it out.