RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tranny locked?! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08, 10:57 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Locked transmission

I know this sounds really stupid ( have been following this thread since he posted on the 17th), but it sounds like the E-brake has been applied nice and tight. When I re-read it it is acting exactly like it would if it were E-braked for a hill. Stranger things have happened. With the ratchet actuated brake and release- who knows, but it sure sounds like that to me.
Old 09-24-08, 06:11 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. Sorry I didn't get back sooner--I've started my bout of overtime. Why may you ask? I'm told the transmission needs a rebuild. Well, that's what I'm told anyway. But this thread brings up some interesting points, though... I may have some poking around to do... $2,500 for a tranny swap in the garage, or $4,100 at the stealership where it's parked right now. That's motivation!
Old 09-24-08, 06:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Thanks for all the responses, everyone. Sorry I didn't get back sooner--I've started my bout of overtime. Why may you ask? I'm told the transmission needs a rebuild. Well, that's what I'm told anyway. But this thread brings up some interesting points, though... I may have some poking around to do... $2,500 for a tranny swap in the garage, or $4,100 at the stealership where it's parked right now. That's motivation!
It's not rocket science...that's what my uncle told me when we did the transmission work back in Mexico half a year ago, running stronger than ever. We didn't need the stealership to do the work there.
Old 09-25-08, 06:12 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

my suggestion is,get it out of their,and go to an independent shop.I have read to many posts on here,where people pay top dollar at the dealer,And not any better warranty or transmission.The only time you are better off going to the dealer,is if you have been going to them for everything else.Then they will sometimes pay for the trans.and you pay for the labor,other than that,I wouldnt go their.Also,trans work is really not a dealership specialty,sometimes (and you wouldnt even know this)they will send it out to a trans shop.(rarely)but it does happen.
Old 09-25-08, 12:54 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
my suggestion is,get it out of their,and go to an independent shop.I have read to many posts on here,where people pay top dollar at the dealer,And not any better warranty or transmission.The only time you are better off going to the dealer,is if you have been going to them for everything else.Then they will sometimes pay for the trans.and you pay for the labor,other than that,I wouldnt go their.Also,trans work is really not a dealership specialty,sometimes (and you wouldnt even know this)they will send it out to a trans shop.(rarely)but it does happen.

From what I have read, not necessarily a rarity but the norm at least for Lexus shops. Have any of you actually had your transmission OVERHAULED IN A Lexus shop? It was my understanding they only do the Lexus exchange installs. A great deal of dealers have gotten away from in shop overhauls and have gone to "factory exchange program". The vehicle manufacturers figured out quite a few years ago that they could make a lot more money by having junk parts "REMANUFACTURED" by an authorized independent shop and flim- flam you into thinking that they met new standards. They are probably most of the time better then "rebuilt" standards (which are often terrible as noted by the percentage of failures) but are still "rebuilt", no matter what anyone says. An awful lot of people don't realize that today, under warranty repair, what you get most of the time is a rebuilt part (that will often not last near as long as a new part would) but they have fulfilled their warranty obligation. I had it happen to me on a new truck that had a small driveline vibration from day 1. They installed a "remanufactured transmission" that looked like it came from a farm truck with 100k. I finally got what I should have gotten in the beginning but it took a 5 1/2 week fight. i will spare you the gorey details.
Old 09-29-08, 06:20 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Yup,the only problem is trying to figure out what trans. shop is a good one.Their are the big chains:AAMCO,Lee myles,Cottman (all of which I hear horror stories about) but at least if your traveling and have a problem,you are probably only 75-100 miles or less away from one of these guy`s.The other problem with independent shops (in my area) is they either dont want to work on lexus,(not enough experience etc.) or dont have a good track record either.Talk about being between a rock and a hard place here.
Old 09-29-08, 03:27 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I may have some poking around to do... $2,500 for a tranny swap in the garage, or $4,100 at the stealership where it's parked right now. That's motivation!
Generally I'd let dealer... or stealership do this type of work, unless you can find a reliable independent shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus. Some indies are run by former Toyota/Lexus techs who take pride in their work. Check local BBB for complaints and recommendations.
Old 09-30-08, 06:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Generally I'd let dealer... or stealership do this type of work, unless you can find a reliable independent shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus. Some indies are run by former Toyota/Lexus techs who take pride in their work. Check local BBB for complaints and recommendations.
I`ll try that thanks.
Old 09-30-08, 08:24 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope it works out for ya. Let us know.
Old 09-30-08, 08:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

looks like their are a few BBB trans. shops both independent and chain shops.I.e aamco cottman etc.I would really like to go with an independent,but then you dont have the piece of mind while traveling.Btw,my trans has not failed yet,I just dont want to get caught short when it happens.
Old 08-07-21, 01:45 PM
Nerm0623
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to me.

1999 RX300: Car starts and runs fine and is sitting in a parking lot, but won't budge even in neutral, and it's needed for work tomorrow:

When shifting, you can hear a change in engine load like normal, but you can't feel a shift. It seems like the transmission is locked in park. When revving the engine with the shifter in park, it revs normally; when revving the engine with the shifter in any other gear, it builds normally but falls fast.

Revving the engine in gear does not help, rocking the car in any gear does not help. Attempting to pull the car a little did not help. There is tranny fluid on the stick.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
  • I don't know if you have done any research on your car, but I have. I have a 1999 RX300 AWD. When I was backing up it popped an shook real bad. When in neutral, it will not free roll at all. Revs to 3 or 4 grand before it will pull when put in drive. I called a reputable transmission place where I am. They said that my sun hear had busted in my transmission. To rebuild it they want $4,000.00. If I am able to find one (U140F=AWD and U140E=front wheel drive) Toyota highlanders from around the same year also have what they call the planetary transmissions, they want $750.00 give or take. I'm having a hell of a time finding one. I hope you have better luck than I've had. If you happen to run across 2 send a link my way. Lol. Thanks in advance. I also hope that this helped.
Old 08-10-21, 01:09 PM
CurioDavid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem. But the difference is when I put the transmission in any gear, it makes a thunking sound and then It moves about 3 in., and then the engine turns off. It was low on fluid. And filling it up didn't help. Please help!
Old 08-10-21, 06:20 PM
bordenj66
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you cant roll the RX in neutral, then jammed brakes or transmission problems are the only 2 things.

Salim
So…if he removed the tires and calipers, and then if he can spin the hubs while in neutral…it’s the brakes? And if not it’s the transmission?

Last edited by bordenj66; 08-10-21 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-10-21, 11:05 PM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by bordenj66
So…if he removed the tires and calipers, and then if he can spin the hubs while in neutral…it’s the brakes? And if not it’s the transmission?
Yes, essentially we are eliminating the assemblies that can prevent spinning of the wheels. There can few other reasons such as locked CV joints.

Salim