RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 Rx 300...did I Get Ripped Off???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 08:10 PM
vbro10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Rx 300...did I Get Ripped Off???

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 2001 Lexus RX 300 (Navy/metallic blue) from a small dealer and had some questions to see if I might have gotten ripped off.

1. On the back of the trunk there is no RX 300 sign on the bottom right? Is that typical for a 2001?
2. There is a "shifting" sound/noise that comes out from behind the Heating/AC shifting area? (below the radio) Is that typical?
3. Is there anything new on the 2001 model vs the 1999/older? (besides the tail lights)

This was purchased a little over a month ago and I wanted to see if there is any laws that might/can protect me from this particular dealer if he did rip me off?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Vince
Old 09-19-08, 08:40 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im pretty sure that there IS the rx300 symbol on the 2001 on model. as for the other stuff, i do not know some of the others will chime in soon probably.
Old 09-19-08, 09:56 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Does the shifting noise occur when the ventilations system settings are changed? I've been in vehicles where you hear the dampers or baffles move somewhere inside or under the dash. So far, I haven't heard any noise like that in ours.

Our 99 doesn't have VSC (vehicle skid control), but yours may. There will be a defeat button for it somewhere on the dash or console, I believe, if your 01 is equipped with it.

The sales contract probably says something about the vehicle being "as is." That's a requirement here in Iowa. I found out the driver's side seat heaters weren't working after I bought mine. They were expensive and a real pain to replace. "As is" sort of means you're stuck, usually.

My daughter really likes her 99. I'm sure you'll like yours, as well. If you need parts, consider using the vendors on the forum like L-tuned parts (Carson Toyota). You'll save lots of money if you're a do-it-yourselfer. Lots of good advice on this forum. Good luck to you with your new toy!
Old 09-20-08, 02:54 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vbro10
1. On the back of the trunk there is no RX 300 sign on the bottom right? Is that typical for a 2001?
2. There is a "shifting" sound/noise that comes out from behind the Heating/AC shifting area? (below the radio) Is that typical?
3. Is there anything new on the 2001 model vs the 1999/older? (besides the tail lights)
There was a moderate redesign between the 2000 and 2001 model years (i.e., 1999-2000 and 2001-2003 model years are essentially the same) I have a 2002 RX300. (1) They all came with the RX300 sign on the back of the trunk. (Mine was accidently switched to a RX330 sign when it was repainted by an independent body shop!). When you remove them for repainting, you have to buy new ones and they come with an adhesive strip for mounting. (2) There are three air mixing servos in the area you describe. There have been several writeups on cleaning and lubing them and repairing them. I haven't had problems with mine yet, but others have. (3) The size of the gasoline tank was slightly increased; as was mentioned, VSC was added; and probably a few other minor changes were made.
Old 09-20-08, 03:37 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. There should be a RX300 on the bottom right. Either the previous owner debadged it for whatever reason (are the other emblems also missing?), the emblem fell off (doubt it), or it was in an accident and the emblem was not replaced once fixed. Did you run a carfax on it before purchasing?

2. That shifting is most likely the vents adjusting. If you set the full auto, the system will regulate between air to top vents, down vents, or both up and bottom. Have you noticed if this occurs during these shifts, or is it just all time rumbling around?

3. Nothing much besides the clear tail lights. Still no navigation I believe, but you do get stability control and traction control standard. I believe for '99 only FWD had VSC.
Old 09-20-08, 09:49 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Take your RX or the vin number to your local Lexus dealership and run a history check on it.

They will give you the service history (performed at Lexus). They can dig up the manufacture date. You can work out a service schedule to bring your vehicle to current (the service can be performed at the dealership, other shop or DIY)

You can also use car-fax

[Should have done the above before purchasing]

Salim
Old 09-20-08, 02:37 PM
YoshRX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to CarFax.com and enter your VIN number, It will tell you your vehicles year along with an idea of how many records there are for your vehicle with out buying the service.
Old 09-23-08, 06:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
1. There should be a RX300 on the bottom right. Either the previous owner debadged it for whatever reason (are the other emblems also missing?), the emblem fell off (doubt it), or it was in an accident and the emblem was not replaced once fixed. Did you run a carfax on it before purchasing?

2. That shifting is most likely the vents adjusting. If you set the full auto, the system will regulate between air to top vents, down vents, or both up and bottom. Have you noticed if this occurs during these shifts, or is it just all time rumbling around?

3. Nothing much besides the clear tail lights. Still no navigation I believe, but you do get stability control and traction control standard. I believe for '99 only FWD had VSC.
I noticed when I bought my RX,that the emblems on the rear hatch were very loose,and about to come off.I told him as part of the deal,he needed to order new ones.I got him to get me a new RX label,and Lexus label.I had to re-glue the L in the circle and get a new 300 label on my own.It appears that the adhesive on the back of these things dry out,and they start to come off.It probably depends on how much sun they get subjected too as well.
Old 09-23-08, 07:00 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sandstorm

Originally Posted by lexus114
It appears that the adhesive on the back of these things dry out,and they start to come off.It probably depends on how much sun they get subjected too as well.
Could be, but I have a '99 (garaged) and the emblem is still tight on there.. probably couldn't chiz it off if I wanted to. I would say unless you're in the Arizona sun with sand storms blasting your back, the emblem shouldn't just dry up and fall off.... but anythings possible.