RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tail light and Windshield fluid spray

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 10:23 AM
Mut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tail light and Windshield fluid spray

I replaced my tail light on my 99 RX 300fairly easily after it went out. It was the big, main break light (part 7443) on the actual body - not the trunk door. The dashboard light went off and everything was fine. But a few days later, the dashboard light is back on and now I noticed that with my lights turned on, the same tail light looks to be on, but doesn't get brighter when I step on the break. Did I screw up or do I need to replace it again? I hope I'm making sense.

Also, the windshield wiper fluid sprays haven't worked in a long time. I can't remember how long it's been. It's never been much of a bother until I realized I should fix it just in case. I thought nothing was coming out because the nozzles were clogged. Well, I got a needle and poked it in and out as deep as I could for all 6 holes and I didn't feel anything getting in the way. So I did some investigative work to narrow down where the problem is. I unplugged the tube from the elbow piece where it attaches from the actual body to the hood of the car, and the motor and the tubes there work fine as water spewed out. So my only guess is that maybe it's either clogged in the tubes right where it attaches to the nozzle or something else on the actual hood. The underside of the hood seems to be covered with this fabric type of cover held on by these black round pieces. The only way I can take a look inside is to take those out but I'm afraid that if I pull on the pieces, it'll break and I'm screwed. What are my options?
Old 09-20-08, 11:07 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tailight

I just replaced that 7443 dual-filament bulb myself. If it's the same bulb (by inspection of which light doesn't light), it is most likely either not making contact or the new bulb failed early through a defect.

My replacement came in a 2-pack, so I replaced the other side at the same time.
Old 09-20-08, 12:48 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Start by pulling out the bad bulb and make sure the folded over wires will make contact. Use needle nose pliers to align them. [assuming the fillament is in tact]

Typically wax gets into the nozzles. People have used needles to clean the clog out. Dealer has a blunt pin to align the nozzle for the spray. Dont over do the sharp pin as you will compromise the coating to prevent rust.

Salim
Old 09-20-08, 02:20 PM
Mut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the light bulb was just not snapped in place. That was easy.

As for the spray nozzle, I tried the needle again multiple times and it seems to go in and out without any restrictions. It seems that even if I remove the black fabric like cover that is attached to the underside of the hood, I can't get to the nozzle anyway because blocked by another cover - made of metal.

The closest dealership is about 45-50 miles away from here. What else can I try from here on before giving up and taking it to a shop or a dealer?

EDIT: I also made sure that the tubes are not blocked. I checked it out as close as I could get to the nozzle. So it's either the nozzle or the part where the tube and the nozzle connects. Do the nozzles come off or do I risk completely damaging it by trying to pull it off?