RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

driver side front side marker always out

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 06:37 PM
mojox20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver side front side marker always out

anybody else have this problem? i must have replaced this bulb a few times this year already. it seems to get wet and corroded pretty quickly. i think my current socket is corroded because i put in a new bulb and it still doesn't come on. i guess i'll see if i can clean up the socket and try again tomorrow or i will be forced to buy a new socket again.
Old 09-20-08, 07:50 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I read and think I drilled a very tiny hole in the lens cover on the bottom to let moisture out. I also cleaned the contacts and used conductor grease on the socket before inserting the bulb to keep moisture out of the socket.
Old 09-20-08, 08:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I had moisture that got into the right rear marker. That is what finally convinced me to do away with the markers once and for all and go with the Harrier look (smoothed out the sides with some paste and then painted over the holes).
Old 09-21-08, 12:41 PM
mojox20
Driver School Candidate

to be honest i dont see moisture in the lamp at all or the socket. i did clean out the socket but it still doesn't work. i actually had extra used sockets from be4. no combination of sockets or bulbs work. tried a few bulbs too. any clue?
Old 09-21-08, 02:40 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The same happened to one of my RX300. I think the proper way to fix it is to first examine the assembly for any crack and leak; then replace the socket (I got it from the dealer for a little over $10). And finally, wipe a thin coat of silicon greas on the rubber O-ring seal on the socket and then inserting/twisting the socket into the assembly. If necessary you can also make a few drop of dieelectric silicon greas into the socket contacts before hedging the bulb into it.

The unit should be sealed after the socket is in its place. I am not sure a small drain whole on the lens is a long term solution. This is because moisture can still get into the socket through the small whole and build rust slowly on the contacts.
Old 09-21-08, 03:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I remember that before I removed the side markers, that my cousin Rodrigo and I applied some silicone around in the groove between the marker and the body of the vehicle itself after we noticed quite a bit of excessive moisture. It was a major PITA to get at the rear lights and this was another small factor in why I removed them entirely.
Old 10-10-08, 12:39 PM
4ncr
Driver School Candidate

Default front side marker

Originally Posted by mojox20
anybody else have this problem? i must have replaced this bulb a few times this year already. it seems to get wet and corroded pretty quickly. i think my current socket is corroded because i put in a new bulb and it still doesn't come on. i guess i'll see if i can clean up the socket and try again tomorrow or i will be forced to buy a new socket again.
This is not a reply to your problem, but i would like to know how to change
the bulb, Thanx...
Old 10-10-08, 01:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 4ncr
This is not a reply to your problem, but i would like to know how to change
the bulb, Thanx...
Here my cousin Antonio demonstrates this. You have to go underneath and remove the plastic undercover on the respective side (there are 3 10 mm bolts...very easy), and then you can get at the bulb.
Attached Thumbnails driver side front side marker always out-img_0622.jpg  
Old 10-10-08, 01:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Here is a look at one of front markers from the rear. The bulb/wire you will have to feel underneath to remove it from the round socket.
Attached Thumbnails driver side front side marker always out-img_0631.jpg  
Old 10-12-08, 02:08 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had to reply the socket assembly on both fronts; they collect moisture and corrode.
Old 10-13-08, 06:00 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same issue a few months back where one of the contacts just totally fell off. All I did pretty much was remove the socket and get a new one for $12 or so. Works fine now. As for how it get so corroded, probably just from water running in on one side more than the other. You could get a new side marker I guess.

As for LexMex going in from the bottom, that's fine, but you can go from the wheel well, just behind the bumper too. Remove the two or three retainer bolts and the well opens up just slghtly for your to fit your arm in and a small rachet in there. Depending on how big your arms are, LexMex's way might be better.
Old 10-13-08, 06:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I had the same issue a few months back where one of the contacts just totally fell off. All I did pretty much was remove the socket and get a new one for $12 or so. Works fine now. As for how it get so corroded, probably just from water running in on one side more than the other. You could get a new side marker I guess.

As for LexMex going in from the bottom, that's fine, but you can go from the wheel well, just behind the bumper too. Remove the two or three retainer bolts and the well opens up just slghtly for your to fit your arm in and a small rachet in there. Depending on how big your arms are, LexMex's way might be better.
Quite true

On the rear marker lights I had to go via wheel well and that was a PITA. Glad those marker lights are gone for good.
Old 11-03-08, 09:13 AM
meggo
Driver School Candidate

I too have to replace both front sockets due to water in the assembly. There are two wires that run into the back of the socket, which I assume AlexusAnja referred to as the "contacts", so I'll use the same word. One of those contacts was completely out of the socket and has a nice green corrosion on it (the mini-bulb basically crumbled out when I went to remove it). What is typically used to clean that contact? Any corrosion left will simply be a catalyst for the future and I'd like to put that off as long as possible. Also, do these front side markers indicate my turn signal, or are they just guide lights? I'm trying to decide to what extent I care that they are burned out. Thanks~
Old 11-03-08, 10:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by meggo
I too have to replace both front sockets due to water in the assembly. There are two wires that run into the back of the socket, which I assume AlexusAnja referred to as the "contacts", so I'll use the same word. One of those contacts was completely out of the socket and has a nice green corrosion on it (the mini-bulb basically crumbled out when I went to remove it). What is typically used to clean that contact? Any corrosion left will simply be a catalyst for the future and I'd like to put that off as long as possible. Also, do these front side markers indicate my turn signal, or are they just guide lights? I'm trying to decide to what extent I care that they are burned out. Thanks~
For those contacts, electrical contacts cleaner, but I have found sometimes one has to literally take a pin for paperclip and chop out the accumulation. Those side markers don't do a thing with regard to the turn signal. I personally would just take out the bulbs, though I went way further and took out the markers themselves, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=343845
Old 11-03-08, 11:51 AM
meggo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much Lexmex. I've seen your homepage previously and was thoroughly impressed. Kudos on your work and the accompanying documentation. I'm seriously considering your suggestion of removing the bulbs and being done (the body work is a bit much for me right now, albeit I love your look), but what are the chances of a short or blown fuse due to the water that will collect in the assembly? Should I tape something around the old socket before I insert it back in the assembly? I do not like the option of drilling holes in the assembly lense, as some have suggested before.

Quick Reply: driver side front side marker always out