RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Wipers work No Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 12:06 AM
JZCHAOS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wipers work No Fluid

for some reason the wiper fulid does not come out when I try to clean the windows... Checked all fuses.. what and where is the relay. Any Ideas?
Old 09-25-08, 05:53 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i know this is gonna sound really retarded but hear me out

i used to take my car to jiffy lube all the time and they always would fill up the windshield washer fluid for me so i just never checked it, well i guess they just forgot to do it a bunch of times and im guessing it went dry anyway so i bought some fluid and filled it up and ran it.....and ran it.....and ran it....oh! and ran it and nothing was coming out, opened up the thing and it looked like it was all gone so i filled it up again and repeated the process but nothing ever came out, so awhile later i started messin around with it again to see if maybe i had a leak or maybe the pump was bad or something and eventually it started coming through, the only thing i can guess is that it was just bone freaking dry and it took awhile to actually get it to through all the tubes but now it works with no issues so i dunno, hope this was helpful, if not i just made myself look like dumbass for nothing lol
Old 09-25-08, 05:59 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
ok i know this is gonna sound really retarded but hear me out

i used to take my car to jiffy lube all the time and they always would fill up the windshield washer fluid for me so i just never checked it, well i guess they just forgot to do it a bunch of times and im guessing it went dry anyway so i bought some fluid and filled it up and ran it.....and ran it.....and ran it....oh! and ran it and nothing was coming out, opened up the thing and it looked like it was all gone so i filled it up again and repeated the process but nothing ever came out, so awhile later i started messin around with it again to see if maybe i had a leak or maybe the pump was bad or something and eventually it started coming through, the only thing i can guess is that it was just bone freaking dry and it took awhile to actually get it to through all the tubes but now it works with no issues so i dunno, hope this was helpful, if not i just made myself look like dumbass for nothing lol
My rear washer fluid works when it feels like it,and that is not good when the road salt comes around..........
Old 09-25-08, 06:09 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Did the fluid in both the front and rear stop about the same time? If one or the other works, it is likely not the pump. If both front and rear stopped working about the same time, it could be the pump. If you search, you will find the alternative Toyota part number (to save money) for the pump, the way to access the pump (to see if you get fluid flow at that point), etc.

Maybe it's premature to be mentioning the replacement of the pump, until you verify that it is getting electrical power and is still not working.
Old 09-25-08, 06:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I still dont understand how the front and rear are operated by one pump? Is their some kind of diversion valve thats in their some where?I put compressed air through my rear line (30psi) and it blew through my res.and came out the front washers,so I know its not blocked.Maybe my combination switch is bad?
Old 09-25-08, 07:13 AM
bob2200
Driver

It sounds to me like to still need to access the pump and verify whether or not it is getting electrical power and whether or not it is pumping. From what I've read on this forum in the past, a pump failure is getting to sound likely in your case.
Old 09-25-08, 07:17 AM
jimmouse
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened to me before. One pump with one inlet and two outlets. When motor turns one direction, fuild comes out the front. When the motor turns the other direction, fluid comes out the back. The pump on mine can only turn one direction (the front) probably due to the corrosion caused by the salt used arround here. The replacement is very easy, plug and play. There is DIY here a while ago.
Old 09-25-08, 07:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

You'll find the reservoir and attached pumps behind the front bumper on the passenger side. This is a thread with some of the pictures of the reservoir, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=311719 (which I removed so I could give the tranny cooler some better ventilation).
Attached Thumbnails Wipers work No Fluid-img_2202.jpg  
Old 09-25-08, 07:55 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I should probably take my pump out,and try to see whats going on.Thats what I should do,will I? Probably not........... sometimes I just dont feel like tearing things apart.Is this relatively easy to remove Lex?

Last edited by lexus114; 09-25-08 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-25-08, 12:28 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JZCHAOS
for some reason the wiper fulid does not come out when I try to clean the windows... Checked all fuses.. what and where is the relay. Any Ideas?
Every time I have had that problem over the years (a lot of years and many clogs) It has always been the tiny holes where the fluid comes out. (They sometimes have 1 hole, sometimes 2 per nozzle) They seem to clog fairly easy from the washer fluid drying in there. What I have always used is a welding torch tip cleaner set. They go down to a very small size, are very hard and I have plenty of them. That and some compressed air. A pin is usually too large to go all the way to the back and will probably only pack it further back in without clearing it. A small possibility that compressed air alone will clear the nozzle if it isn't too hardened. Good Luck!

Last edited by code58; 09-26-08 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-25-08, 12:49 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by code58
Every time I have had that problem over the years (a lot of years and many clogs) It has always been the tiny holes where the fluid comes out. (They sometimes have 1 hole, sometimes 2 per nozzle) They seem to clog fairly easy from the washer fluid drying in there. What I have always used is a welding torch tip cleaner set. They go down to a very small size, are very hard and I have plenty of them. That and some compressed air. A pin is usually too small to go all the way to the back and will probably only pack it further back in without clearing it. A small possibility that compressed air alone will clear the nozzle if it isn't too hardened. Good Luck!
That`s the thing, My holes are clear. And some times it will work perfectly (although lately,it hasnt worked)
Old 09-25-08, 04:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I should probably take my pump out,and try to see whats going on.Thats what I should do,will I? Probably not........... sometimes I just dont feel like tearing things apart.Is this relatively easy to remove Lex?
Yeah, it's relatively simple. Once you get that plastic wheel well cover off, it is pretty simple to take out and then put back in, I don't remember too many complex connections that the reservoir needed and I believe it was only attached to the vehicle by two bolts.
Old 10-03-08, 05:20 PM
Mut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I know when the washer is clogged? I tried sticking a pin in each of the holes and they go in about an inch.
Old 10-04-08, 09:34 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

You need to get to one end of the pipe/hose.

If you want an easy way you can cut and later splice.

Salim.
Old 10-09-08, 08:14 PM
81corolla
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Yeah, it's relatively simple. Once you get that plastic wheel well cover off, it is pretty simple to take out and then put back in, I don't remember too many complex connections that the reservoir needed and I believe it was only attached to the vehicle by two bolts.
I replaced the pump - same symptoms as yours except reversed - front worked, back didn't.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=249476

The pump is just held in place by the form fitting on the back of the reservoir. Anyway, it's pretty easy. Take wheel cowling off, disconnect lines, pull pump straight out and replace.

Drain reservoir first. I siphoned mine using the lines off the pump if I recall.

Quick Reply: Wipers work No Fluid