RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Starting quirk shifter/ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 06:53 AM
capt bob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting quirk shifter/ignition switch?

My Wifes 99 RX 300 with 140 k showing is having a cold starting problem , It just clicks when you turn the key unless you jam the shifter forward or pull back sometimes , sometime you turn the key all the way off and it will start second or third try but usually it requires moving the shifter with pressure while in park , I just tried starting it in neutral and same thing I had to jam forward
pressure on the shifter but seems strange is the key thing being able to switch
the key on and off and it will start sometimes. I have a Haynes repair manual and am capable of most repairs what I read in the manual is there is a neutral safety switch, a key sensor and a shifter sensor one of those three seems to me to be the culprit.
Thanks for any help
Capt Bob
Old 09-28-08, 08:50 AM
salimshah

Received 1,053 Likes on 951 Posts

There is an interlock that ensures that the gearshift (and the transmission) is in Park. In an emergency when there is an override by inserting a coin or screwdriver near the shifter [look up the owners manual].

The switch or the adjustment can be bad/off.

Salim
Old 09-28-08, 04:26 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 312 Likes on 271 Posts

That's what I thought too at first, but the fact that you're hearing a click might suggest otherwise. You'd hear nothing if the start interlock were working. The click is usually a symptom of a bad battery or a bad starter.
Old 09-28-08, 05:05 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just going by probabilities, it sounds like the contacts on the starter solenoid. Some people have been able to replace just the contacts, for a cost of less than $10. If you do a search, you will find more information. This is just a guess on my part, but it is a common part that fails.
Old 09-30-08, 07:02 PM
capt bob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comebacks, I hooked up the meter to the battery tonite
and the car was cold and I had the clic, Turning the key brought the battery voltage from 12.4 to 11.5 . and it did not start ,After jamming the shifter forward it started and showed 14.2 volts . I did not have time to jack up the car and look for the starter hopefully in the morning.
Capt bob
Old 09-30-08, 11:51 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by capt bob
Thanks for the comebacks, I hooked up the meter to the battery tonite
and the car was cold and I had the clic, Turning the key brought the battery voltage from 12.4 to 11.5 . and it did not start ,After jamming the shifter forward it started and showed 14.2 volts . I did not have time to jack up the car and look for the starter hopefully in the morning.
Capt bob
Capt Bob- You won't have to jack it up-it's one of the easiest starters to get at that i've ever seen. Open your hood and look at the top of the transmission- you'll see it right on top. I agree with the other posters- a good chance it is the selenoid contacts. If it is it is easy to do. I just repair them, I don't even replace them.
Old 10-01-08, 05:05 AM
bob2200
Driver

After seeing the voltage numbers, I'm inclined to agree with Keith. You never did say if it is the original 10-year-old battery. The original batteries are made in Japan. Virtually all replacement batteries are made in the USA. If the battery is more than 5 years old, I'd replace it. My experience is that batteries don't last as long in the heat of Florida as other parts of the country. A new Costco battery is only $50-60. Replacing batteries is environmentally-friendly since the old batteries are recycled.

12.4v is OK for an engine-off voltage, and 14.2v is OK for an engine-running number. 11.5v seems a little low if the starter isn't engaging and you have a good battery, but that isn't based on any practical experiences with a Lexus.
Old 10-01-08, 09:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
After seeing the voltage numbers, I'm inclined to agree with Keith. You never did say if it is the original 10-year-old battery. The original batteries are made in Japan. Virtually all replacement batteries are made in the USA. If the battery is more than 5 years old, I'd replace it. My experience is that batteries don't last as long in the heat of Florida as other parts of the country. A new Costco battery is only $50-60. Replacing batteries is environmentally-friendly since the old batteries are recycled.

12.4v is OK for an engine-off voltage, and 14.2v is OK for an engine-running number. 11.5v seems a little low if the starter isn't engaging and you have a good battery, but that isn't based on any practical experiences with a Lexus.
I'll second that about batteries and Florida.
Old 12-25-08, 09:45 AM
capt bob
Driver School Candidate

Merry Christmas to all , Well my wifes Rx 300 still has the starting problem it never completely
failed and starts on the third key rotation every time but it is rather embarassing so she tells me , I just replaced the Battery and took out the starter motor and cleaned the armature and all that looks good the brushes are 1/2 long and the springs are good, Keith had mentioned the solenoid contacts humor me the contacts are the main hot and ground wires going to the solenoid correct? I only pulled the motor itself not the whole
starter assembly the voltage going to the solenoid is 12.7 with the key on if the contacts are inside the solenoid should I pull the whole assembly out , She wont let me buy my new diesel truck until I fix this problem any thoughts ?
Thanks Capt Bob
Old 12-25-08, 06:31 PM
bob2200
Driver

the contacts are the main hot and ground wires going to the solenoid correct?
No, I think the contacts referred to are inside the solenoid and switch the current to the starter. These can corrode and can be replaced inexpensively. I think the Toyota part numbers have been given on this forum in the past.
Old 12-25-08, 06:53 PM
salimshah

Received 1,053 Likes on 951 Posts

the contacts are the main hot and ground wires going to the solenoid correct?
Thanks Capt Bob
Battery 12v goes to the solenoid (thick wire). The output of the solenoid goes to the starter. typically it is a plate instead of a wire. All this is called the secondary side.

The primary side of the solenoid (relay) comes from ignition switch; after being conditioned with the gear in Park. The gnd is from chaises. When the primary side gets energized, it pulls a reluctor (sp?) which makes the contact on the secondary side, thus passing the 12v from battery to the starter.

In some vehicles (majority), the reluctor also pulls the gear from the starter shaft to engage with the fly wheel.

Call around and see if part shop will test out your starter. You can also try swapping your battery. Or see if jump always help you start the first time.

Salim
Old 12-29-08, 05:23 PM
capt bob
Driver School Candidate

Default It Works better than ever

I took the starter and solenoid to Advance auto parts they benched it and no problems worked great, So I took everything apart and cleaned the solenoid
and noticed the jam nut on the + side was about a 1/2 turn loose I tightened
everything real tight put er back and every thing works better than ever
some Florida corrosion got between the contacts just enough to slow down the current flow at least I think that was it.
Thanks to all and
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Capt Bob
Old 01-02-09, 12:35 AM
ColdLexus
Driver

But what kind of Truck did you get Capt Bob??
Old 01-11-09, 02:46 PM
capt bob
Driver School Candidate

Default Bait and switch

Well I moved off the couch but still driving my 04 Expedition go figure!