RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is the 2000 RX300 stereo RDS compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 07:57 AM
Designer17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 2000 RX300 stereo RDS compatible?

I was browsing cructhfield yesterday looking to see what options I had for upgrading my sound system. While browsing I came across a brand new item from kenwood that would allow you to intergrate an ipod, satellite radio, bluetooth phone, etc. It is also RDS compatible, meaning it will display song or radio information from an ipod or satellite radio on cars with RDS compatible lcd screens.

Does anyone know if the 2000 RX300 without Nav is RDS compatible?

If it is, this would be a tremendous product to upgrade an RX with the latest and greatest features without a million wires running on the dash. It also has a built an amplifer so allow the addition of sub woofers and amplifies. There are 3 different models. Here's the link to the middle prices model if anyone's interested. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=detailed_info

Its a bit pricey but after shopping around I've found it for much cheaper.
Old 10-07-08, 09:06 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Your owners manual should tell you if the audio system in your 2000 RX300 has RDS. If it has RDS, you should be seeing the radio name and music type on your radio's LCD display for at least some FM stations.

I like RDS and wish my 2000 LS400 had it. Crap, even the cheapest Fords had RDS in 2000. Lexus and Toyota vehicles sold in other countries had RDS many years before it was included here. My 1993 European market LS400 manual explains its RDS feature in detail.
Old 10-07-08, 10:45 AM
Designer17
Driver School Candidate

Good point, none of the radio stations show up in RDS format on my screen now so I'm assuming it isn't RDS compatible but I'll check the manual for the hell of it. I don't understand why Lexus would of left out such a simple feature.

Without RDS compatibility I wonder how functional and practical the kenwood adapter would be as far as operating a bluetooth phone or adding the xm adapter?

I would really like to get rid of the xm radio on my dash and have something hidden but still easy to navigate.

Another question I'm pondering is how well would this work when comparing its quality to that of the DIY aux inputs people are doing on this site? I don't really expect anyone to have an 100% correct answer but anyone got any thoughts on it?
Old 10-07-08, 11:53 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

RDS just didn't attract a strong early following in the U.S. like it did in the UK and Europe where RDS has a "network follow" feature that can automatically switch a radio to the strongest signal in an RDS network -- e.g. for radio stations that have multiple low power transmitters on different frequencies. I often notice when driving rental cars with RDS radios that many radio stations still do not broadcast RDS information.

The audio systems in pre-2001 Lexus vehicles certainly don't lend themselves to adding other devices and features and the newer ones are not much better. The pre-2001 Toyota vehicles are bad enough but at least their greater numbers made it economically feasible for aftermarket companies to design and sell radio interface products.

For example, a nice aux adapter was available from Soundgate for my wife's 98 Toyota Camry. It plugs into the CD port on on the back the radio, has a three position switch, allows for two additional devices like MP3 and sat radio and still preserves the operation of the external CD changer. You won't be finding anything like that for an older Lexus!

I ran into a guy who had a custom aux adapter built and installed by an audio shop in his 98-00 LS400 -- he was parked next to me at Costco. I recognized the same three position Soundgate switch that is in my wife's Camry. He wouldn't even tell me how much it cost -- only something like "a lot". I think he was embarrassed at how much he spent.

I'm glad MP3, sat radio, etc. aren't very important to me. I get enough of that in rental cars and I am no fan of sat radio. Nevertheless, I'm going to make sure that my next car has these capabilities.
Old 10-07-08, 12:24 PM
Designer17
Driver School Candidate

I had a friend who had a an suv with all the latest and greatest features and ever since he showed it to me, I've wanted to add similar features. I really don't care about hooking up my iphone to my radio for listening to music but I would really like to integrate its bluetooth features but maintain the factory look of the car and the same goes for my xm radio. It sucks that the rx doesn't have RDS. Being able to display the info from my accessories on the screen would of been handy.

The kenwood adapter I linked above is somewhat similar to the aux input you were talking about but just connects up differently. The Kenwood also alows for the addition of monitors and backup cams to the stock stereo system which would definitely be a major improvement.

I think I might try calling Crutchfield today and see if they can tell me how well it would work without having an RDS compatible radio. I'm also trying to justify whether its worth it to buy this adapter or to make a custom one.
Old 10-07-08, 06:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

If you want Bluetooth for your iPhone, you could install the same Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth kit that is sold as an official accessory by both Lexus and Toyota dealers in the Europe and the U.K. -- they even have the Lexus and Toyota logos on them. The same IHF1000 kit shown on this IS is available over there for all Toyota and Lexus vehicles that don't already have in-built Bluetooth: http://www.lexus.co.uk/range/is/acce.../interior.aspx

You could even order an IHF1000 from a U.K. Lexus dealer if you want one with the Lexus logo but it will cost you about twice the $200 that an IHF1000 would cost in the U.S. They may even have a complimentary kit for an iPhone now that they are sold in Europe -- that's the cradle Lexus and Toyota dealers supply to charge a phone and supply an external antenna connection -- last time I checked, the cost of the complementary kit was the equivalent of about US$120.

Don't worry about having a million wires running under your dash. No one will see them and at least you won't be putting all your eggs in the Kenwood basket.
Old 10-07-08, 07:58 PM
Designer17
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I love this forum. Unlike some forums I've gone weeks without getting answers and sometimes not getting any answers at all.

That definitely looks like a viable option. I had never seen that before. I've come across other post about integrating a bluetooth phone but no one has mentioned this product before. Do you know exactly how it hooks up to the stereo? I can't seem to picture how it would integrate with my RX allowing the stereo to mute on incoming calls.

Do you think I could contact my local lexus dealership here in the US about this product? It doesn't matter to me if it has the lexus logo just as long as it works with minimum wires running on my dash. I could live with not having my xm radio integrated into my stereo system. I have the mini audiovox xm receiver attached to my air vent playing via a cassette adapter. It doesn't look because I really took sometime at hiding the wires. It would be nice to eliminate it from my dash if possible. So if anyone has any ideas on integrating my xm radio I'm all ears.

I came across another product that would be another decent solution for my phone if it were made for taking calls and not for playing music. Its a wireless cassette that has bluetooth built in but its made for streaming music via a bluetooth device. I can't remember the name of it but I remember specifically that it did say it will not work with phone calls. Why that is I have no idea but If it did work with bluetooth phones it might be a pain since the tape would have to be in and playing at all times in order for it to be practical.

Anyways, I really appreciate all the suggestions you've giving me.
Old 10-07-08, 08:46 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

There are only three connections to the car when installing most phone kits - power, ground and mute. Almost all Lexus and Toyota cars have a mute connection on the audio system. The earliest sound system diagram I have for an RX is from 2003 and it shows the color of the mute wire on the amplifier as violet. Unfortunately, almost all sound system diagrams were removed from the ARRC website last week so I no longer have free access to one for a 2000 RX. I doubt if you would need a wiring diagram to install a phone kit.

I think your RX was prewired for a dealer installed Lexus phone like my 2000 LS400 was. If it is, it probably has a six pin connector with a mute pin on the drivers side under the center console. On my LS, the mute pin is the front center pin and that is where I connected my phone kit's mute wire -- just stripped a quarter inch of insulation off, plunged the wire into the connector and secured it with a wire tie. Some people have attached the phone kit's mute wire at the factory pre-wire phone harness in the rear of the RX. You can probably do a search in the RX forum to find one of these threads -- I think I contributed to several of them so you could look for my member name when you do an advanced search.

The ground wire can be connected to just about any metal bolt under the dash or you could splice it into an existing ground wire.

The power wire for a phone kit can be attached to the fuse box under the dash using an "add-a-circuit" connector, available at auto parts stores. There is photo here: http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Mini...t_p_27-65.html

As do many phone kits, the IHF1000 comes with a small speaker which can be easily hidden under the dash or on the firewall -- no need to tap into a door speaker.

I'd upload the IHF1000 install guide but it is way too big -- 1 megabyte. You can download it from the Motorola website like I did from http://www.motorola.com/Hellomoto/Ma...User_Guide.pdf

I'm not saying that the IHF1000 is the only good Bluetooth car kit. It is, however, a darned good one and the one I'd install in our cars if we need to replace our older non-Bluetooth phone kits.

Overall, phone kits are pretty easy to install although I think I spent a full 12 hours installing the one in my 2000 LS400 to get it exactly right. My old Nokia non-Bluetooth phone kit, however, is substantially more complex than an IHF1000.
Old 10-08-08, 07:33 AM
Designer17
Driver School Candidate

I think I actually have a wiring diagram for the 2000 RX at home. I haven't really had time to look at it so I'm not sure if it mentions anything about pre-wired phone jacks.

I've read on other posts that the RX's or atleast the earlier ones didn't come with the phone adapter in the console but have heard there is indeed one in the rear of the vehicle. I'll have to look into it.

I've just come across an adapter and a bluetooth system online like that is like nothing I've ever seen and I feel compelled to share this find. The adapter according to the sight will fit my RX and just plugs into the back of the factory radio and allows the use of any ISO bluetooth kit. Here is the link to the adapter: http://www.aftermarketcellular.com/ic/QCHW-1.html

Here is another link to a sweet compatible bluetooth set. Check out the size of it and how it mounts. Its simply amazing. It also capable of streaming music via bluetooth. http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/ha.../parrot-mk6100

Let me know what you think?
Old 10-08-08, 08:52 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I could be wrong but I think the "QCHW-1 ISO Harness - Bare Leads-Do It Yourself" adapter cable is "plug and play" only into the Parrot's harness and that is still up to the installer to tap on the appropriate wires on the car. It is used so you don't have to cut off the ISO connectors on the Parrot's wiring harness.

BTW, here is a thread where someone connected his phone kit mute on an 01 RX: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=phone

I'm familiar with the Parrot 6100. Unfortunately, taking advantage of its music streaming capabilities requires some serious wire splicing on a Lexus. I suppose the steering wheel control and the remote display would be nice. I'm not much of a fan of Parrot products.

In my previous post, I mentioned using an add-a-circuit adapter to pick up power at the fuse box. I forgot to mention that some phones kits require connecting two power wires -- one unswitched (always hot) and one switched (hot when the ignition switch is in the accessory or engine running position). The IHF1000 is of this type. On some phone kits, one can connect both phone kit power wires (one is the ignition sense wire) to the same always hot connection on the car but I don't know if this is advisable with an IHF1000.

Last edited by Kansas; 10-08-08 at 11:33 AM.