RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

HELP! 3 Problems: Lock Broken, Aux Cable, Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 01:05 AM
doc2b07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 3 Problems: Lock Broken, Aux Cable, Steering Wheel

Wow this looks like a great forum, cant wait to start using it more, i have a few problems with my 1999 rx300, wondering if u guys can help, ill post them in order of importance lol

1) When i lock my doors the drivers door is always still unlocked, i have to manually push the lock before i leave the car, all the other doors lock except the driver door, should i buy a new lock for it? is it just sticky or something should i take it apart and clean it? where can i find a guide to know how to take it apart?

2) when i make turns the steering wheel makes this really weird sound, it sounds like a whale or a dolphin i dont know how to explain it lol.. what should i do? wd40 the attachment? how do i take it apart?

3) there is an aux button in my car, does that mean i have an aux cable where is it? If i dont have one can i hook one up so when i press aux it recognzies that cable? if i cant whats the easiest and best aux cable install? I see a few options.

Hope u guys can help, appreciate any feedback.
Old 10-18-08, 08:19 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

For 1, use search "lock actuator"

For 2, please provide more information .. is the noise source in side? Does it stop when you stop turning the wheel etc.

For 3, RX300 is not equipped with audio-aux. After market? Post a pic if you can.

Salim
Old 10-18-08, 10:01 AM
doc2b07
Driver School Candidate

1: okay i found the auctuator on ebay, can i use any actuator or does it have to be for lexus, ie/ can i use this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER...46#ht_3141wt_0

2) the sound only is heard when i am turning the wheel, it makes like a funny sound like a dolphin haha, cant reallly explain it too well,

3) ill take pics of the aux

4) thanks man i really appreciate the help and time out of ur day.
Old 10-18-08, 03:02 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

#2. The sound is fairly common on RXs. It is most likely the rubber bushing where the steering column goes through the firewall. I'd try spraying some silicone spray on it from the inside of the car. Mine hasn't gotten lound enough for me to bother yet.
Old 10-18-08, 04:50 PM
doc2b07
Driver School Candidate

Hey Bob that sounds right, it got pretty loud, do u think i should take off the steering wheel and try to fix it, or do u think i should spray it with silicone spray from the outside like around the attachment?

And do u guys recommend that Actuator i found on ebay in the link i gave above?
Old 10-18-08, 05:09 PM
bob2200
Driver

#2 I don't think there is any need to take anything apart. Just spray the area between the rubber boot and the steering column (from inside the car). There have been photos posted here in the past.

#1 This has been discussed in the past here quite a bit. Basically, you need to keep the mechanism that is there for the signals it sends. One alternative, that has been described, is to mechanically link a new, generic actuator in tandem with the one not working. Another alternative, mainly described in the Lexus GS forum, is to take apart and repair the acuator that is not working. I think both have been done sucessfully and it is a matter of preference. New OEM actuators are quite expensive, but I guess that is another alternative.
Old 10-19-08, 12:42 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
#2 I don't think there is any need to take anything apart. Just spray the area between the rubber boot and the steering column (from inside the car). There have been photos posted here in the past.

#1 This has been discussed in the past here quite a bit. Basically, you need to keep the mechanism that is there for the signals it sends. One alternative, that has been described, is to mechanically link a new, generic actuator in tandem with the one not working. Another alternative, mainly described in the Lexus GS forum, is to take apart and repair the acuator that is not working. I think both have been done sucessfully and it is a matter of preference. New OEM actuators are quite expensive, but I guess that is another alternative.
Like Bob said, there's been a ton written about how to do it either way. And probably pictures too. I would personally recommend the type of lock that you linked. It's an easier way to go. You might try "search" on the other Lexus forum also. It is really quite easy if you grasp mechanical things easily. I did it on all 4 doors of my DIL's 99RX before I found this forum and though I was flying without any help, it came out great for $0. and is still working great 2 1/2 yrs. later.
Old 10-19-08, 08:34 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is the link to the door lock:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...opic=41219&hl=
Old 10-20-08, 10:59 AM
doc2b07
Driver School Candidate

the link to the actual lock isnt working, will the link i provided above work on my car?
Old 10-20-08, 11:56 AM
bob2200
Driver

The link from Thomas1 works for me. Try: (delete spaces between "http:" and "//")

http: //us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41219&hl=
Old 10-20-08, 12:37 PM
doc2b07
Driver School Candidate

yes the link for the thread is working, but the link in the thread that i am refering to is not working,

this link here pertaining to the part i want

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...ACTUATOR_.html
Old 10-20-08, 03:49 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doc2b07
yes the link for the thread is working, but the link in the thread that i am refering to is not working,

this link here pertaining to the part i want

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...ACTUATOR_.html

Try this:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...UATOR/-/1.html
Old 10-20-08, 06:20 PM
doc2b07
Driver School Candidate

i bought the attached off ebay, will that work?

Old 10-20-08, 06:39 PM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Only OEM will fit without modification(s). Anything else will have to be jury rigged.

You will have to tell us if it works.

Salim
Old 10-20-08, 06:40 PM
doc2b07
Driver School Candidate

so it wont work? dont u hae to adjust all of them anyways.. man i wish i could hire osmeone to install this for me.

Quick Reply: HELP! 3 Problems: Lock Broken, Aux Cable, Steering Wheel