RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

The viscous coupling

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 06:40 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default The viscous coupling

Has anyone ever had any problems with their viscous coupling? (the awd thing) I have done some research on these things,and like everything else,they dont last forever.When some go bad,they lock up,or just dont activate any longer.Which means you basically only would have fwd at that point.I`m just curious,not having any issues myself.Is it possible that this coupling is why the awd trannies have problems? I would love to get to the root of the of these transmission problems,so as to save everyone money.
Ryan

Last edited by lexus114; 10-20-08 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-20-08, 09:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Has anyone ever had any problems with their viscous coupling? (the awd thing) I have done some research on these things,and like everything else,they dont last forever.When some go bad,they lock up,or just dont activate any longer.Which means you basically only would have fwd at that point.I`m just curious,not having any issues myself.Is it possible that this coupling is why the awd trannies have problems? I would love to get to the root of the of these transmission problems,so as to save everyone money.
Ryan
I remember a few cases involving the transfer case in this forum, but only like 2 or so and I am not sure if it was related to an accident or what that it needed replacement. I think we've had seal issues, but as far as the rear differential, haven't heard anything there.

A few years ago, about 2, I used to do emissions testing in Mexico City. I have repeated the story enough why I had to do it, even with Florida plates, but basically I had to put an enormous amount of stress on tranny, front differential, transfer case and rear differential, because their machines didn't accept an AWD vehicle from 1999 (don't ask why they couldn't do a static test that allows AWD), but even after those two instances, the differentials and transfer case had no issue. And the tranny only ran into its issue after an accident late into the year.
Old 10-20-08, 10:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah,I remember that hole or what ever it was you hit. Where is this coupling located anyway?
Old 10-18-09, 03:44 PM
LastQuark
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Ryan
I'm suspecting the same thing now. My car wouldn't go reverse but the transmission fluid looks clean and no metal particles. While in reverse and with trottle pressed sligthly, I managed to get the reverse working after pushing the car from the front.

I'm afraid the transmission problems reported are not really transmission. Or perhaps, the viscous coupling or differential triggered it to become a transmission problem later on.

In my case, I also changed the speed sensors but still couldn't get it to reverse. It's only after a little push from the front that got the vehicle to move back.