RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 10:17 PM
HygieneDad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny question

Ok, so the tranny is going. I have all the signs (slipping, acts like neutral in reverse etc) Unfortunately, these signs are sporadic and hard to replicate with the mechanic sitting in the seat. Luckily, I have a dealer warranty that totally covers it. However, they are not wanting to do anything until I am broken down on the side of the road with no movement.

I can understand they don't want to shell out the money until absolutely having to. However, my problem is I have a 2 and a 4 year old that drive around with my wife in the city all the time and I do not want them breaking down on the side (or middle) of they busy freeways.

So, my question is how would I go about "laying my transmission to rest" in the "vicinity" of my house? I was told to just jam it into park. However, I don't want to do anything that they can come back and say I abused the tranny or something ( I don't know if they could tell that I did that but I assume they could).

I'm not trying to be unethical here - I have 20K / 2 yrs left on my warranty so I know it's going before that is expired. I just know the inevitable is coming and I want my family to be safe when it does.

Thanks for any input/help.
Old 10-26-08, 11:07 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HygieneDad
Ok, so the tranny is going. I have all the signs (slipping, acts like neutral in reverse etc) Unfortunately, these signs are sporadic and hard to replicate with the mechanic sitting in the seat. Luckily, I have a dealer warranty that totally covers it. However, they are not wanting to do anything until I am broken down on the side of the road with no movement.

I can understand they don't want to shell out the money until absolutely having to. However, my problem is I have a 2 and a 4 year old that drive around with my wife in the city all the time and I do not want them breaking down on the side (or middle) of they busy freeways.

So, my question is how would I go about "laying my transmission to rest" in the "vicinity" of my house? I was told to just jam it into park. However, I don't want to do anything that they can come back and say I abused the tranny or something ( I don't know if they could tell that I did that but I assume they could).

I'm not trying to be unethical here - I have 20K / 2 yrs left on my warranty so I know it's going before that is expired. I just know the inevitable is coming and I want my family to be safe when it does.

I don't condone doing anything unethical but one thing I WOULDN"T do is what you asked about. They would spot that in a heartbeat and the tranny bill would be on you in less than a heartbeat. They would know IMMEDIATELY what you did, trust me. If you have 2 yrs. and 20k mi. left on the warrantee, bide your time and let it take it's course. You'll sleep better at night and you can be honest about whatever questions they ask you.
Old 10-27-08, 04:19 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

When the transmission in my 1999 RX failed at about 110K, in a manner just like yours, it remained (barely) driveable but the dealer was able to do something to diagnose the problem; I'm not sure whether the test procedure was electrical, mechanical, or hydraulic.
Old 10-27-08, 06:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Jab,Was the transmission replaced then?
Old 10-27-08, 06:40 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It depends on who is warranting the car. If your car is covered by an extended warranty program, I'd go get a second opinion from another dealer. Yours may be gambling that your warranty expires before your transmission. It's sad but true; not all Lexus dealers provide "the Lexus Experience".
Old 10-27-08, 06:42 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't recommend jamming it in park or anything like that. But being that Lexus does not open up the trans, just replaces them, I don't think they would really know.
What I would do is next time the trans is acting up is give it the gas and push it a bit. Nothing unethical about that.
Old 10-27-08, 06:43 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
It depends on who is warranting the car. If your car is covered by an extended warranty program, I'd go get a second opinion from another dealer. Yours may be gambling that your warranty expires before your transmission. It's sad but true; not all Lexus dealers provide "the Lexus Experience".
Plus some of those after market warranties,require you to pay for the repair in full.And then seek reimbersment from the warranty company.
Old 10-27-08, 07:03 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Jab,Was the transmission replaced then?
Yes, it was replaced.
Old 10-27-08, 07:29 AM
LeGiT SaaB
Driver School Candidate

Great, mine is slipping a little too. It was replaced under warranty at about 70,000 and now it needs another new one at 170,000.

I never thought I'd say this but my Saab's transmission seems to hold up better than this one, I had to replace that one at 60k.

Money pit!!!
Old 10-27-08, 07:54 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB
Great, mine is slipping a little too. It was replaced under warranty at about 70,000 and now it needs another new one at 170,000.

I never thought I'd say this but my Saab's transmission seems to hold up better than this one, I had to replace that one at 60k.

Money pit!!!
I think this trans was rushed into production,Like the Chrysler 604`s were.With out the proper testing etc.
Old 10-27-08, 07:57 AM
LeGiT SaaB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
I think this trans was rushed into production,Like the Chrysler 604`s were.With out the proper testing etc.
Is the RX trans in any other Lexus models?
Old 10-27-08, 08:14 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB
Is the RX trans in any other Lexus models?
I`m not sure about that,Maybe the U140E (2wd) in the ES. Also the Rav4 uses this transmission(very similar version any way) But their lighter vehicles. And the 2wd RX`s don`t seem as problem prone.
Old 10-27-08, 09:24 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

I sympathize with you, but the discussion is flirting with insurance fraud.

I would recommend, sending a register letter stating the risk of untimely and catastrophic failure.

Others?

Salim
Old 10-27-08, 02:07 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, so the tranny is going. I have all the signs (slipping, acts like neutral in reverse etc)
Have you or the dealer checked the fluid level and color?
Old 10-27-08, 02:55 PM
HygieneDad
Driver School Candidate

I have been down the road already with the dealer with regards to possible outcomes. They flat out do not care. They require the issue to be "replicable" and because it is sporadic, it never happens at the "right moment" when a mechanic is in the car. The issue is it is not a Lexus warranty but an aftermarket warranty the Acura dealer sold me. I have a hard time thinking that it goes the route of insurance fraud for the simple fact that the tranny is going and will go by the time the warranty is up. It is just a matter of where, not when.

Quick Reply: Tranny question