RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 07:47 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i doubt your issue is in the motors, because you say they both go up, down, and stay down together. The probability both motors are dead is about, um zero.

My guess is you've got gunk in the switch giving the motors false directions. The switch is located between the right-rear control arm of the car, under the right rear tire.

There is a (~1" in diameter) bar that connects the center of the wheel to the undercarriage of the car (called the control arm, RR for right-rear). And connecting the middle of this bar to the undercarriage, you will find a smaller "arm-like" contraption. As the control arm moves up and down, this arm moves as well. It is connected to a switch, this being the switch to the motors.

Remove the small "arm-like" contraption and remove the switch. Open it up (be careful, there are 3 little brass springs that might come flying out, they are important so don't lose them). See if there is any gunk or what not in the switch. Clean it out, and re-assemble the switch. It sounds harder than it really is, trust me. If you can clean your teeth with a toothbrush you can do this...

Hopefully that solves your problem. If the orange pilot light isn't illuminated in your dash panel, for sure the switch is just gunked up....
Old 11-06-08, 06:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Could you tell me which page this is on? Thanks.

I've never seen my HID adjust itself except during start-up. Plenty of up and down hills here in Colorado.
Page 26 describes it some what, under switches. I thought i read it some where (maybe online) in more detail.
Ryan
Old 11-06-08, 09:03 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Page 26 describes it some what, under switches. I thought i read it some where (maybe online) in more detail.
Ryan
Thanks. Learn something new everyday.
Old 11-11-08, 09:21 AM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
That`s odd,mine go up,and then down as well(that is their self diagnostic test).But they seem to be good as far as visibility.Why do you think they are going down too far? can`t you see that well while driving? (I`m just trying to figure out what could be going on here)
They always went up and down, but now go to far down and is illumnating the ground right in front of my car and is doing a great job at that. Definitely have trouble seeing without the fogs on and I have good vision. I know the motors arent dead so I will try cduluk's recommendation.
Old 11-11-08, 10:05 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes,that sounds like a good recommendation he has re;your trouble.Let us know if that was the problem.
rm
Old 01-26-09, 04:51 PM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

hello all,

recently i have had a problem with my auto leveling lights. first i noticed a few weeks back that they seemed to flicker up and down after inititial start up test. ( they had not done this before) then i had noticed during start up test they would go up, down, then instead of go to "middle position" they would aim very low and stay there. this made for dangerous night driving. then the other day they went through the test and the dashboard indicator light came on telling me the system is not functioning/needs checked by lexus, however the lights are aimed dead center. it appers the motors work and put the bulbs at center position but dont make any effort to calculate the position.

is this a leveling sensor problem? does anyone have any ideas? suggestions? any one had this type of repair needed and how expensinve was it. it seems the vehicle is safe to drive now that the system is not working at all, but i would like to have it restored to its original function but would like to have some idea what that entails before i pull into the lexus dealership and open the checkbook.. if you know what i mean

Last edited by praxis; 01-26-09 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 06:33 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

double post

Last edited by cduluk; 01-26-09 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 06:36 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Your sensor is going bad or needs to be cleaned out.

When you say your headlights are now aimed dead center with the yellow indicator light is on,
1. the plug to your sensor is unplugged
2. or one of the 3 internal spring connections inside of the switch aren't making good contact due to dirt build-up etc.

If theyre aimed dead center with indicator light on, this means the computer is voiding any input given from the switch and just aiming them dead center since it knows it cant trust the sensor because its getting mixed signals.

remove the switch from the car, open it up and clean it out and you should be ok. its located between the right rear control arm f the car and the underbelly.
Old 01-26-09, 06:48 PM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

cdulk,

thanks so much for the help. your info makes sense. in my case it seems the sensor is working intermitently, as it worked when i put it in the garage tonight?? no dash warning light and the lights aligned. i do have to say it is really terrible when the lights align so low all you can see is directly in front of the car. it is cetainly something that needs to be fixed.

thanks again!!

i read in the beginning of this thread that mentioned specifically where this sensor is located. if anyone has photo that would be great too.
Old 01-26-09, 06:52 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

i would take a photo, but my sensor isnt installed there anymore now that ive wired it into the cabin for manual control. If you look under your right rear tire you'll see sort of like two little arms between the control arm and the underbelly. Just take a look and you'll find it...
Old 01-26-09, 06:54 PM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

ok thanks, ill do that... you have been a great help. ill let you know how it goes...
Old 01-26-09, 06:59 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

no problem- the switch is definitely the issue. It sounds like it's just dirty on the inside.
Old 03-12-09, 01:29 PM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

well... the switch is the issue. i finally had some time to take it off and tear it apart. good grief, it was filled with crap and corrosion. the little springs were actually broken from the force of the corrosive material. for some reason the electrical signals must have been making it through enough to make the dashboard "warning" light to only be on intermittently.

now the decsion is what to do now... pay the price and get a new part. what do these go for anyhow? or... can i just go without? problem is the lowbeams are rather "low', aimed low that is. I suppose i should just cough up the bucks and order the part from the dealer.. and drive the nearly 100 miles to go get the dang thing... i guess i can save a few bucks putting it on myself. (well not "on myself") you know what i mean..

sigh**
Old 03-12-09, 02:06 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

i knew that was the problem :P

Are the headlights still aimed too low with the switch removed? They're supposed to be at normal driving height if the switch is removed...

If they're still too low with switch removed, you can raise both headlights using the adjustment screws behind the headlights, no big deal.

Honestly, i would just go without the switch. Remove the orange pilot light from the gauge cluster, and raise the headlights with the adjustment screws if they're aimed too low without the switch.
Old 03-12-09, 03:59 PM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

yea they are rather low. i think i will go with the manual level adjustment as you mentioned as well as the other idea. you are a great help, no matter where you are, lol.

Quick Reply: Headlights