RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 01:13 PM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

I noticed the motor inside my headlights must be broken because the lights point up and then back down. Its not a huge deal as they are still bright enough but the one thing I did love is never having a problem seeing. Can this motor be replaced easily? Is it costly? Has anyone else had the same problem.
Old 10-30-08, 06:54 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by zeusigchi
I noticed the motor inside my headlights must be broken because the lights point up and then back down. Its not a huge deal as they are still bright enough but the one thing I did love is never having a problem seeing. Can this motor be replaced easily? Is it costly? Has anyone else had the same problem.
I have those motors too,they only come with the hid lights. Is their a light on in your dash panel? If the motor,or motors go bad,a light on the dash should come on to let you know. Also,as far as replacing the motor,it looks very easy as they are at the top of the headlight.Thats the good new`s,the bad new`s is they are expensive!! It also might be the leveling sensor.

Last edited by lexus114; 10-30-08 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 07:09 AM
zig
Driver School Candidate

hi all a have a Toyota Harrier 1999 and i want to change my tail light in this summer.
And i interested RX300 PRO CCFL headlights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

This item for rx300 01-03

Is this fits in my car? toyota harrier 1999

The seller said this item will not??

Last edited by zig; 10-30-08 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 08:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zig
hi all a have a Toyota Harrier 1999 and i want to change my tail light in this summer.
And i interested RX300 PRO CCFL headlights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

This item for rx300 01-03

Is this fits in my car? toyota harrier 1999

The seller said this item will not??
I wish I could help you,but I`m not sure.Maybe someone will chime in.
Old 10-30-08, 03:02 PM
YoshRX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HID light system does that when first firing up. Also while driving they move up and down to level them self up. Its normal, kinda cool if you ask me.
Old 10-30-08, 06:03 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Zig, the link to the projector headlights you provided will fit your Harrier. It will fit any 98-03 Rx300/Harrier with halogen headlights.

Those projectors are halogen, not HID. If you try to put a HID bulb in there, you will get a lot of scattered light and it won't be pretty...
Old 10-30-08, 10:16 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshRX300
The HID light system does that when first firing up. Also while driving they move up and down to level them self up. Its normal, kinda cool if you ask me.
Actually they do not level whilst driving. The self-adjustment is only made when the engine is started.
Old 10-30-08, 10:51 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

They will level during driving only if the switch on the right-rear control arm of the car detects extra weight in the rear. The switch also uses vehicle speed to reduce false alarms, meaning going over a pothole (something that would cause a great movement in control arm) won't affect the headlights pitch unless the arm has changed position for a longer period of time at higher speeds. <15MPH that switch is very sensitive however.

The "test-mode" only takes effect during start-up.

On the newer 04+ models with AFS, the auto-leveling lowers and raises at times during normal driving as well- more switches for different conditions...
Old 10-31-08, 04:36 AM
YoshRX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Actually they do not level whilst driving.
They do level while driving, I sometimes see it go up and down slightly when coming to a stop. Easier to see if a white vehicle is in front of you. Thank you Cduluk for explaining that out.
Old 10-31-08, 06:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Actually they do not level whilst driving. The self-adjustment is only made when the engine is started.
I have to disagree with you harrier,they do adjust while driving. I have seen them do it, plus its in the owners manual re; that this will happen while traveling up hill (as to not blind other motorists) and like Yosh stated when braking etc.

Last edited by lexus114; 10-31-08 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-31-08, 06:19 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cduluk
They will level during driving only if the switch on the right-rear control arm of the car detects extra weight in the rear. The switch also uses vehicle speed to reduce false alarms, meaning going over a pothole (something that would cause a great movement in control arm) won't affect the headlights pitch unless the arm has changed position for a longer period of time at higher speeds. <15MPH that switch is very sensitive however.

The "test-mode" only takes effect during start-up.

On the newer 04+ models with AFS, the auto-leveling lowers and raises at times during normal driving as well- more switches for different conditions...
So thats what that is, It almost looks like a self leveling suspension sensor. (very similar) Glad you clarified this for us.
Old 10-31-08, 10:07 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

It's a pretty simple set-up Lexus has there, but it works
Old 11-05-08, 11:40 AM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
I have those motors too,they only come with the hid lights. Is their a light on in your dash panel? If the motor,or motors go bad,a light on the dash should come on to let you know. Also,as far as replacing the motor,it looks very easy as they are at the top of the headlight.Thats the good new`s,the bad new`s is they are expensive!! It also might be the leveling sensor.
Their is no light on in the dash. What I am seeing is the lights turn on, rise up and then go down, now they are going down too far. If I pull up to a wall and turn them on I can sometimes see that they are trying to raise up and flicker a little bit. I would love to replace if its easy but as for now I am using the fogs on at all times. Is thier some way to tell if its the motor or leveling sensor? Thanks for all the responses!
BTW only 70 miles away from 123,456
Old 11-05-08, 12:28 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zeusigchi
Their is no light on in the dash. What I am seeing is the lights turn on, rise up and then go down, now they are going down too far. If I pull up to a wall and turn them on I can sometimes see that they are trying to raise up and flicker a little bit. I would love to replace if its easy but as for now I am using the fogs on at all times. Is thier some way to tell if its the motor or leveling sensor? Thanks for all the responses!
BTW only 70 miles away from 123,456
That`s odd,mine go up,and then down as well(that is their self diagnostic test).But they seem to be good as far as visibility.Why do you think they are going down too far? can`t you see that well while driving? (I`m just trying to figure out what could be going on here)
Old 11-05-08, 01:25 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I have to disagree with you harrier,they do adjust while driving. I have seen them do it, plus its in the owners manual re; that this will happen while traveling up hill (as to not blind other motorists) and like Yosh stated when braking etc.
Could you tell me which page this is on? Thanks.

I've never seen my HID adjust itself except during start-up. Plenty of up and down hills here in Colorado.

Quick Reply: Headlights